Locked Wing...

S

Stick Dummy

Seig,

You must be talking about the guy that looks like Pee-Wee Herman and you can fit two of him into your work clothes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You better get rid of him before your students pick up all kind of "unusual" habits.

or he teaches TessMania to USE that APD..........

Hee-Hee!

Hah-Hah!

Ho-Ho!

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Stick Dummy

Seig,

You must be talking about the guy that looks like Pee-Wee Herman and you can fit two of him into your work clothes

You better get rid of him before your students pick up all kind of "unusual" habits.

Hee-Hee!

Hah-Hah!

Ho-Ho!
Nah, I think I'll let him continue to come around. I need the comic relief.:rofl:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Seig,

Hee-Hee!

Hah-Hah!

Ho-Ho!

Ohhhh *rubbing hands together with a diabolical smirk on face.. Yes. .where is that guy who can teach me to USE that APD.. right now it's just sitting there and doing Naught.. collecting dust at that~!!

OP
kenpo3631

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with Bill Lear that their is no "reverse" gravity, that would actually be a "divorce"...

I look at it this way. There are many types of back up mass.

Vertical Back Up Mass (Marriage of Gravity) - Using body weight on a vertical plane.

Horizontal Back Up Mass - Using body weight on a horizontal plane.

Isolated Back Up Mass - As in a finger whip, you are using the weight of just your hand while striking....(however, if you ever felt Mr. Parker's or Mr. Mills finger whips you'd swear you wear whipped with a sledge hammer... ).

Full Body Back Up Mass - As in a flying side kick.

I just kinda look at stuff in that context. Just my opinion...

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rainman

By all means jump right in- Gravitational marriage is a universal law always working just can be enhanced or manipulated to our benefit... and welcome jaz k

"When you shuffle your body forward and do an elbow strike, you're using Body Momentum. As your body shuffles forward, it adds power to the strike.
On the other hand, if your opponent is leaning over and you drop your body weight down while you strike, that's the concept of gravitational marriage. You take advantage of gravity, and it's that marriage of my action with gravity that enhances the power of my action. You're marrying the movement with gravity."

"But body momentum is different. It involves having mass move in a direction with your weapon so it has added power. If I shuffle and execute a move, I'm gaining body momentum on a horizontal plane. When I drop and let gravitational marriage come into play, I'm utilizing body momentum on a vertical plane. Or, I could use body momentum diagonally."

"There are about 18 different types of snow to an Eskimo, but to many people closer to the equator, there is only one type. The point? The Eskimos' concept is more refined and is therefore more useful. And that's how a student of American kenpo should view momentum. "The more you can break kenpo down into its component parts, the better you understand it." My whole idea of training is to help individuals work at their maximum, regardless of their limitations."

"The analogy of an aircraft carrier catapult nicely illustrates the effectiveness of body momentum. Essentially, a jet on an aircraft carrier needs a catapult and its own engine to ensure a safe takeoff. The catapult and the engine are useless by themselves. They must work together."

"So when you do a Japanese-style lunging punch, Parker argues, it's just like a jet trying to get off the deck of an aircraft carrier on its own power. But,
when the lower half of your body (the catapult) shuffles and works in perfect
harmony with your fist - the jet engine - you then utilize body momentum in
it's higher form."

Ed Parker Quotes from Black belt magazine circa 1986 talking about Motion-Kenpo

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by WilliamTLear

There is no such thing as reverse gravitational marriage, becuase there is no such thing as reverse gravity... You either have gravity, or you don't. Although I understand where you are comming from.

Take Care,
Billy

P.S. I would guess that the term rooting and settling are the same concept.

It would be incorrect to equate the term Gravitaional Marriage to gravity itself in a physical sense. It is only a conceptual term to define how we use a particular concept in American Kenpo.

Therefore, Reverse marriage of Gravity does indeed exist, however none of these terms have any real meaning outside the confines of the conceptual vehicle in which they are used. In other words it's not science and doesn't crossover and interchange with science. Its rellevance is confined to the conceptual vehicle only.

Simply:

Marriage of Gravity - When you use the magnetic pull of the earth on your body to enhance your body function.

Reverse Marriage of Gravity - When you use the magnetic pull of the earth on another to enhance your body function.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by eternalwhitebelt

Great discussion so far. Rainman, I too disagree with some of your use of terminology. I do not think it is possibe to root in a cat stance. Checking the storm not withstanding could you further explain why you think you have established your base while in a cat stance? The order is base, control, technique. Exceptions are always present ofcourse, as in the example you gave. I just defy you to resist any type of energy exerted on you while in a cat stance.

"Rooting" and "Settling" are not the same thing.

Settling is a term used in most arts as a constituant to an action.

Rooting is a passive action with the additional requirement of both feet equally weighted in a symetrical configuration.

Therefore a "cat" Stance is ineligible by definition.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

"Rooting" and "Settling" are not the same thing.

Settling is a term used in most arts as a constituant to an action.

Rooting is a passive action with the additional requirement of both feet equally weighted in a symetrical configuration.

Therefore a "cat" Stance is ineligible by definition.

yes. no. terminology is in the words of the beholder:D

i'll refer all to this site. this is not to form disagreement but to establish that even terms from chaunfa are not universally agreed upon. however i did base my comments on this interpretation.

http://www.chineseboxing.com/pages/rooting.html

R

Rainman

Ed Parker Quotes from Black belt magazine circa 1986 talking about Motion-Kenpo

For a minute I thought you fell down and bumped your head.

yes. no. terminology is in the words of the beholder

You mean definitions...those words are strangely familiar.

R

rmcrobertson

Um...aah...I hate to be overly picky, but gravity has zip to do with magnetism--and you can't get anybody to stick to you with magnetism. As Crow T. Robot noted, "And if your hands were metal, that would mean something." Even those who claim that they're manipulating chi don't argue that it's magnetism, but some other force--and short of chi, everything in kenpo can be explained perfectly well in scientific terms, including reverse marriage of gravity. After all, we "reverse" the effects of gravity every time we stand up.

Of course, the larger issue is the considerable presence of pseudo-science in kenpo.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
My point was a simple one. Don't mix conceptual vehicles like Ak with hard physical sciences because it creates confusion and misrepresentations. I agree about pseudo-science.

It lay terms gravity is often referred to as a "magnetic attraction." Would you have felt better if I had said, "The natural force of attraction exerted by a celestial body of significant mass?" I think they got the point and I don't think I misled anyone.

If you want to nit pick, there is plenty here, so who else is next?

R

rmcrobertson

I've never heard gravity referrred to as a magnetic attraction, though I have heard love called that.

I'm afraid that my point, too, is a simple one: if you're going to claim exactitude in your terminology, then you need to be exact in your terminology.

When I figure out reverse marriage of gravity, I may post more on this string. I've only had it explained and shown to me twice, though, and it is not false modesty when I say that it may take a while. However, it's a real kenpo concept, and may be found in the, "Encyclopedia."

Thanks.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson

I've never heard gravity referrred to as a magnetic attraction, though I have heard love called that.

I'm afraid that my point, too, is a simple one: if you're going to claim exactitude in your terminology, then you need to be exact in your terminology.

When I figure out reverse marriage of gravity, I may post more on this string. I've only had it explained and shown to me twice, though, and it is not false modesty when I say that it may take a while. However, it's a real kenpo concept, and may be found in the, "Encyclopedia."

Thanks.

It is in the Encylopedia, but the definition there is at best vague, and not what I was taught by Parker. But then the Encylopedia was rushed and printed after he passed from some of his notes. It suggests "reversing the effects of gravity..."

Now with regard to your nit picking, my kenpo terminology is fine, however there will always be several interpretations of terms even in hard science depending on their usage.

As I stated before if you are in such a nit picking mood, there are plenty of other posts here you can examine and autopsy other than just mine I'm sure.

R

rmcrobertson

Other than noting that I am sorry you should choose to be ungenerous, I see no point in adding anything further. As I mentioned, I'm still struggling (and expect to be struggling for some time) with both the concept--and the practical exercise--of the term.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score

..." Even those who claim that they're manipulating chi don't argue that it's magnetism, but some other force--

The word chi is a generic term used by the asians for energy or anything that has the ability to demonstrate power. Electricity is a type of chi. Magnetism is another type of energy that the chinese would classify as chi. A chemical reaction produced in a chemical test tube would be a type of chi. Still another form of chi would be heat. The list could go on.

Both electrical and magnetic forces play heavily in Dr. Jwing-Ming Yang’s theories explaining chi with modern science. he has a few books and articles out on the subject.

and i'm curious- what other force would they be claiming for chi? and who is this they?

..."Of course, the larger issue is the considerable presence of pseudo-science in kenpo. [/QUOTE]

yes there is way too much pseudo-science in AK- i'm sure you can find common ground on that with Doc, as well as few others here.

peace.

:asian:

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by jazkiljok

The word chi is a generic term used by the asians for energy or anything that has the ability to demonstrate power. Electricity is a type of chi. Magnetism is another type of energy that the chinese would classify as chi. A chemical reaction produced in a chemical test tube would be a type of chi. Still another form of chi would be heat. The list could go on.

Man, now I understand. So like... uh... er... a woman with big Chi-Chi's is pretty powerful. Eh? So chi-chi's can cause a biochemical reaction in men (hormones) that will generate heat (well, at least the way I understand it... the man will get all hot and bothered), which in turn will cause an almost magnetic attraction between a man and a woman? Whoa!!! That's cool!!! I get it!!! Thanks dude!!!

Next Weeks Post: Master Key Moves and how to use them when picking up chicks in a nightclub.

All in good fun,
Billy :moon:

S

Stick Dummy

Billy,

Will this be anything like the Kenpo technique

" 7 Slaps, Traps, and Pinches of the Cha-Cha"

that Seig has told me about???

I'm starting to like this Kenpo stuff.................:D

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV

Billy,

Will this be anything like the Kenpo technique

" 7 Slaps, Traps, and Pinches of the Cha-Cha"

that Seig has told me about???

I'm starting to like this Kenpo stuff.................:D
Don't go giving away my super secret stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Other than noting that I am sorry you should choose to be ungenerous, I see no point in adding anything further. As I mentioned, I'm still struggling (and expect to be struggling for some time) with both the concept--and the practical exercise--of the term.

Well you'll just have to excuse me if I'm a tad sensitive.

Latest Discussions