Locked Wing...

W

WilliamTLear

Fanged Seamus...

I agree with you about your annalysis of Kirk's hypothetical situation.

My point about Gravitational Marriage is that your center of gravity doesn't necessarily have to be the one falling in order to augment the effect of a strike.

Back-up Mass and Gravitational Marriage can apply to the same movement too...

These are very good posts guys... I look forward to your input.

Take Care,
Billy

R

Rainman

As for rooting and settling- good example again- not the same from where I come from. Rooting is an internal arts term and it can be employed while sitting, standing, walking or on one foot and yes fighting. time duration doesn’t matter, so transitional footwork doesn't alter this ability if learned.

Agreed- settling is different- rooting as it relates to intermittent power. I think settling can make movements mechanical.

Back Up Mass requires that you channel your weight and motion in the same direction as the strike (in this case, vertically as your center of gravity moves up). Gravitational Marriage would require your opponent to be moving down (unless you want to argue a physics "frame of reference" thing).

that is more along the lines of directional harmony. alignment has something to do with backup mass.

There is no such thing as reverse gravitational marriage, becuase there is no such thing as reverse gravity

yes there is- use opposites and reverses to find it.

To me Gravitational Marriage dosn't neccessarily mean that you're dropping your weight into your attacker... or settling (or rooting) into your stance, it can also apply in situations which involve you using your opponent's weight against him

depends on how you are using that- checking height by compression yes but it is only one small element. Your example is one of a gravitational pull. A universal law that can be enhanced by exertion of force or pressure applied to an idividual. Again only an element but a necessary one. Without gravitity working no can slam someone to the ground etc.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by WilliamTLear

The vertical upward movement to which you are reffering is still considered Gravitational Marriage.

Let me ask you this... If you set a spear in the ground and your opponent jumped off of a wall and impaled himself on the spear, would you call it Reverse Gravitational Marriage or Gravitational Marriage?

Take Care,
Billy

Me being a rookie, I would have thought Borrowed Force. The spear is using the borrowing the force of the person jumping off the wall to get the job done. But as the person jumping found out, gravity works.

:asian:

K

Kirk

Originally posted by WilliamTLear

The vertical upward movement to which you are reffering is still considered Gravitational Marriage.

Let me ask you this... If you set a spear in the ground and your opponent jumped off of a wall and impaled himself on the spear, would you call it Reverse Gravitational Marriage or Gravitational Marriage?

Take Care,
Billy

That makes perfect sense, thanks!

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

The earth sucks.......
:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: Great timing on that one.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So then we're really talking about marriage of suck and reverse marriage of suck???? I think this better stop now before it slides off into the gutter! :lol:

Good discussion though...

And to finish ... I had one Kenpo Senior, who shall remain nameless for safety's sake, tell me that he uses Reverse Marriage of Gravity to whiten his teeth... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dan

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by jeffkyle

That is the question!!!!

guess I better watch my back when we work out MMMWHWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by brianhunter

If you can actually see your back, however you may do that, then i don't want to work out with you...contrary to what you think, i don't go that direction.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Man! Having to have an attitude like that while working out ...
must really suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Uh ... OK ... In order to keep Gou in line, I will stop now.

Saintly Uncle Dan

B

brianhunter

man Ive been laughing at the computer this morning thanks guys!! My kids think Im going crazy!!

J

jeffkyle

man Ive been laughing at the computer this morning thanks guys!! My kids think Im going crazy!!

Anything to make you look crazy to others...
:)

OP
kenpo3631

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with Bill Lear that their is no "reverse" gravity, that would actually be a "divorce"...:rofl:

I look at it this way. There are many types of back up mass.

Vertical Back Up Mass (Marriage of Gravity) - Using body weight on a vertical plane.

Horizontal Back Up Mass - Using body weight on a horizontal plane.

Isolated Back Up Mass - As in a finger whip, you are using the weight of just your hand while striking....(however, if you ever felt Mr. Parker's or Mr. Mills finger whips you'd swear you wear whipped with a sledge hammer...:D ).

Full Body Back Up Mass - As in a flying side kick.

I just kinda look at stuff in that context. Just my opinion...:) :asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I havenoticed that a lot of other systems use Marriage of Gravity. To use an example, a friend of mine has started introducing some FMA to me and I have noticed that when he uses strikes that he often pulls down and drops his weight when he executes the strike. I also had a visiting BB from another style last night and while he and one of my studens were working on Flashing Mace that he had a tendency to drop into a twist stance on the spinning back fist.

Latest Discussions