Jedi-do

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, this ones a bit off the wall, but... -IF- the Star Wars universe were reality, which martial arts do you see as being part of a Jedi's training?

Looking at the technical books, etc, latest info on the Jedi arts have them as master swordsmen. Count Dooku however is reguarded as a fencer. Which sword arts would fit in here?

Unarmed skills - With there being hundreds of different arts, which techniques have you managed to see in the various films.

Other skills - Would the Jedi healing arts possibly fit the descriptions and reputations of Chinese medicine, and Yoga with some Tai Chi added in? Possibly some 'dream trances' to round out the package?

While this is somewhat tongue in cheek, what would it take for someone to become a reality based Jedi?

I know people who talk to plants, I've had a grandparent that could sence things, and have had my own 'experiences' with the unexplainable. So, I see everything associated with Jedi/Sith concepts to be -possible-. Now, the 900 years to perfect it, well, thats another thing all together. :)

:asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

Ok, this ones a bit off the wall, but... -IF- the Star Wars universe were reality, which martial arts do you see as being part of a Jedi's training?

Looking at the technical books, etc, latest info on the Jedi arts have them as master swordsmen. Count Dooku however is reguarded as a fencer. Which sword arts would fit in here?

Unarmed skills - With there being hundreds of different arts, which techniques have you managed to see in the various films.

Other skills - Would the Jedi healing arts possibly fit the descriptions and reputations of Chinese medicine, and Yoga with some Tai Chi added in? Possibly some 'dream trances' to round out the package?

While this is somewhat tongue in cheek, what would it take for someone to become a reality based Jedi?

I know people who talk to plants, I've had a grandparent that could sence things, and have had my own 'experiences' with the unexplainable. So, I see everything associated with Jedi/Sith concepts to be -possible-. Now, the 900 years to perfect it, well, thats another thing all together. :)

To be able to have a reality Jedi, one needs to
find a Jedi to train with. The first Jedi Master
could be someone of feels the force.:)

Just my Crazy Thoughts.

Rich

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok.
So, would that me a Yogi, a Tai Chi master, or a New Age follower?

"Feel the Force"...we hear it alot in the movies "Let the Force guide you"...again, heard alot.

Chi Sao anyone? I read somewhere that part of Ninja training allows for the sesativity to smell water so as to avoid sloshing into a puddle.

I've heard stories of ancient (as in very old) Tai Chi masters and Yogis who could disrupt a persons life force by a touch... or heal just the same.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

K

Kirk

I think Wicca comes into play here. Don't they believe in a life
force of, and within everything?

Possibly shaolins who talk, and have a hair style/lenght of their
own choosing. They respect all life, including plant life, and they
feel there is an energy within them all.

Throw in some kendo, and viola! jedi knight!

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First, the disclaimer -

I am not now, nor ever, stating explicitly nor implicitly that "The Force", as it appears or does not appear as described and displayed in films written, directed or produced by George Lucas and/or Lucasfilms, Inc. actually exists, nor do I endorse or otherwise condone the belief that "The Force" as it appears or does not appear as described and displayed in films written, directed or produced by George Lucas and/or Lucasfilms, Inc. is real in any commonly held belief of the universe as it applies to the laws of physics as we currently understand them.

However... :jedi1:

Some of the less serious minded senior students in our school routinely make use of quotes from Star Wars, specifically ones uttered by the Little Green Man himself, to explain some archaic or otherwise dust ridden sayings or lessons that martial arts tries to impart upon its modern day (and thus, sometimes confused :confused: )students. Yoda-sensei has quite a bit of good info, and it seems, at least to my mind, that Lucas-sama did more than a little bit of homework when writing the LGM's dialogue...

There are blatant Taoist and Buddhist overtones, and it is subtle, though not surprising, that much of the instructions he gives fall perfectly in line with qigong training doctrine from various schools of thought. While I doubt the veracity of much of the alleged claims of so-called "chi powers" (e.g. moving objects a la telekinesis, robbing a person of their life force, etc.), having trained in internal arts for over 16 years I have seen some rather interesting things, and it is noteworthy that the Jedi are reputed to have many of the same abilities that qigong practitioners are alleged to be able to develop...

If anyone is interested, I have a Word document that I am working on for use with my students. It has Yoda-isms, and brief descriptions of how they apply to our training... Feel free to email me if you would like a (working) copy.

:jediduel:

May the Force be with you (but not in the bathroom, cuz then it just gets messy... :nuke: )

:samurai: :tank:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sure. Info always apreciated. :)

Keep in mind, I'm looking at this half seriously, but still, the more I think about it, the more I, um, think about it. :D

S

sweeper

wow I realy should check the locker room more ;)

Actualy I was having a debate about the effectivness of the double bladed lightsaber that the red and black guy uses in the phantom menace, he(my freind) isn't realy into martial art training so it was sorta hard to debate with him on the subject. Personaly I think the martial aspect of fighting with a weapon like that (ok it's energy right? so it would have near zero mass, yet it will kill you if it touches you) would look more like a combination of kali and western foil fencing. reason is the foil is a very light training tool for the small sword (if memory serves) and in kali you practice with rattan sticks (also very light) the training would probably look more like training for a point sparring match than a boxing match, also you would probably want to look at the two hand aspect, something like kendo. reason being the leverage would alow for more speed, but also depends on what kind of light saber you were going to use, one of those double ended ones would work alot diffrent, and why doesn't anyone ever use two?

Anyway me and my freind were talking about how the double end blade might be an inferior weapon to the single blade because the second blade is always at risk of hitting you when you strike. I tihnk the best way would be to use two onehanded blades, one to pary and one to simultaniusly strike the base of the weapon/hand.

Additionaly, if these guys can use the force to move objects why can't they throw their blades? like give it a good spin and use it like a bomerang? could take out alot of storm troopers that way ;) and in close range combat like lightsaber vs lightsaber you could score an easy win.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

Die and go to star wars heaven. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

T

tonbo

George Lucas actually discussed the fighting style of the Jedi during the pre-release of Phantom Menace. He said that the fighting style incorporated a little bit of Kendo, a little bit of fencing, some "movie" moves, and even a little bit of woodcutting (lumberjacking).

Basically, he worked with people to lay out a bit of groundwork, but then left each individual character to round out their fighting style in their own way, but within their character. I was pretty impressed with that, and you can see REALLY well how it played out in Phantom Menace: Qui-Gon was more conservative, keeping his guard up, but out of his face, most of his strikes were direct, with little flash--he was an advanced swordsman. Obi-wan, on the other hand, was a little more rash, with a lot of twirls, flashy moves, and most of his guards were in the center line. Each style reflected the character pretty well.

Okay, back on topic.

I think to be a Jedi, you would need to combine a couple of different aspects:

1) Kendo/Kenjitsu/Kumdo/Fencing, etc.....a sword-based art for the lightsaber moves.

2) Maybe some bojitsu or kali, so that you could learn to use everyday sticks, etc. for defense.

3) Zen/Taoism/Buddhism for some of the philosophical aspects. The ability to see situations for what they *are*, not from a "tainted" or biased viewpoint (this comes out a lot in AOTC), and also for meditation

4) Shamanism/Chinese medicine for the medical aspects and body sense.....use of herbs and healing points would not hurt at all

5) Pressure point training, for both hurting and healing

6) Some sort of basic diplomacy training

7) Survival training, "just in case"

8) Some sort of unarmed combat training, in case you are disarmed.

9) Dunno how to fit the "Force" in.....maybe training with some serious chi masters?

Basically, these guys seem to be a combination of diplomats and warrior monks. Aside from the levitation and mind tricks aspects, most of the other stuff is attainable......if you wanted to do it, I guess.

Then again, I am no Jedi master, and probably wouldn't even come close. But those are just some of my guesses.....

Peace--

T

Tachi

You'd need some serious control of your Chi to pull this all off, as was mentioned earlier. When the Jedi masters get moving, ther are a lot of Chen style movements thrown in here and there....

something to ponder;)

Tachi :asian:

S

sweeper

well the problem with a double end lightsaber is that unlike a bostaff you can't grab it anywhere but the center, and whenever you are striking the reverse end is comming dangerously close to cutting you in half. If you were to swing and your opponant were to strike the back of your "blade" sort of to pass the blade the reverse end would cut into your side. And you could never swing or thrust directly forward, at best it would be forward off to the side of your body.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Additionaly, if these guys can use the force to move objects why can't they throw their blades? like give it a good spin and use it like a bomerang? could take out alot of storm troopers that way ;) and in close range combat like lightsaber vs lightsaber you could score an easy win."

Actually, in ROTJ Vader does just that. Has also been mentioned in 1 of the books, and is possible in the latest game. :)

Bouncing to another side :), time compression....ie moving incredibly fast. Combination of great reflexes and a "spell/concept" I read about in a Wiccan book a while back.

Mauls 2 ended saber - I've seen some staff techniques where they basically bounce the staff off your hip to aid in control / power. Obviously a bad thing, but, if you watch closely, the non-active blade did hit Mauls hips a few times. The movie explains it away as he was just 'that damn good' (or blooper reel time), but heres another thought - protective smart armor, thats tuned moreso to your own weapon, than your opponents. This would allow more safety in executing such techniques without worrying about a parry suddenly chopping your own legs off.

I think the diplomat-warrior concept is accurate. To me, the concept of 'Jedi' as presented by Lucas would be a highly educated, highly trained, and highly experienced individual.

Maybe to make a reality-jedi we would take a Bruce Lee or Ed Parker, let them perfect their art for another 30 years (ie focus totally on it) and toss in a Harvard Degree, and some Dale Carnegie motivational techniques. :confused: :)

We see alot of different techniques tossed in in the movies, the "movie arts" I guess. But, this can also be explained away as the individual focus as was previously mentioned.

So... How does one become a "Jedi"? Obviously, theres no 1 art thats the specific answer. Maybe the answer is as simple and obvious as "Train your best, to be your best, and in time, it will come". Will you be able to levitate? Probably not, but, study enough of the Yogi techniques, and ya might. Will I be able to jump a mile? Maybe on Pluto, but not without some 'help' in the form of a catapult or rocket.

S

sweeper

well if you had special armor to block the blade you could probably put it on a pair of gloves and use the thing like a spear or staff 100%

personaly I think there is just to much flamboyance in the fighting styles.

vader just cut a bridge and the thing didn't come back to him. but I mean like in episode 1 when all those damn droid things are running around the capital seems like the jedi could have just cleaered them all out by throwing the spinning lightsaber down the hallways ;)

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Supposedly the Armor the Darth Vadar and Boba/Jango Fett, called Mandalorian Armor, is somewhat resistant to light sabers as is a special suit with an element called cortosis. This is why Luke was able to beat Vadar down with the light saber and not chop him to pieces. Maul could have been wearing a cortosis suit because the fibers can be woven into cloth. Though cortosis will actually disrupt the energy of the blade sending shards of the energy to cause damage. <Sorry, Big time star wars fan>

I am thankful that the force doesn't exist as described by Lucas. If anger lead to the darkside I can't think of a single human being that I know that wouldn't go down the path to the dark side. So you'd have to have some serious New Age "becoming a walrus" stuff to never get angry.

If the Force were real you'd study things like kendo or fencing, like everyone has said. A very down and dirty martial art because it wouldn't be just for fun.. you'd pretty much know that you would be called upon to use your skills. You'd have to be skilled in anatomy, skilled in science (you gotta build the light saber.), skilled in diplomacy, you would have to have a skill with linguistics because you'd be called upon to deal with people that don't speak your language. Survival skills, information gathering, map reading, Extra sensory perception usage, vehicle maintenance and repair and much much more. Mostly you'd have to have a specialty.

In the Star Wars expanded universe (books, movies, comics and games) each Jedi had a certain skill that they developed. Some were diplomats, some were security/military, some were healers and some were mechanics/engineers. Anakin Skywalker (and Anakin Solo) had were geared more towards Mechanics and engineering because they developed a natrual aptitude for it. When Anakin became Vadar, I'm sure he was glad he had the aptitude because he was mostly machine and it wouldn't be a surprise if he 'broke down' a lot.

S

sweeper

I don't recal luke actualy striking vader except when he removed his hand... Ok I'm gona go watch the movie now ;-)

S

sweeper

ok just finished watching return of the jedi, and in that lightsaber fight between luke and darth vader luke wasn't hitting the suit his saber was coming across darth's saber untill the final blow, the sparkes were comming from other objects the sabers were ouncing off of (like the railing and the stairs)

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You are right.. Most of my information is from books and so forth.. where Luke partially killed Vadar.... really socked it to him and then Palpatine finished him off when Vadar threw him in the reactor. If going by the movies, what killed vadar? Luke just lopped off a mechanical hand. That isn't enough to kill him. Then he got shocked by force lightning... which wasn't directed at him and wasn't nearly the level that Luke had gotten zapped.. So what killed Vadar? Depends on who you talk to.. some say that the Force lightning zapped the mechanical functions of his suit which was literally cutting off his life support. Others say that luke bashed him pretty good in the rage but killing him because the armor protected him from getting severed but not from being injured, which was demonstrated by him basically cowering down at the rail when his hand got taken.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Turner

some say that the Force lightning zapped the mechanical functions of his suit which was literally cutting off his life support.

That'd be my vote. That was the first impression I got when
seeing the movie for the first time.