Last Poster #7

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worrying I’ve killed my bonsai wisteria by vigorous root pruning a few weeks ago 😳 It should have fat buds on it but it only has little black ones.

F2E43EA7-DDD0-4D10-8F9C-C28DA34D3682.jpeg
DE2FE37D-B1E7-440E-ABA0-2D7E64F9819A.jpeg

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Worrying I’ve killed my bonsai wisteria by vigorous root pruning a few weeks ago 😳 It should have fat buds on it but it only has little black ones.

View attachment 30794View attachment 30795
Every kid wanted a bonsai after seeing the original Karate Kid. My old man had around 70 of them and we used to head out the Bodiam Bonsai nursery in East Sussex a lot. Bonsai were very popular in the 1980s. I remember my nephew wanting his own bonsai after seeing the original karate kid on DVD, he wasn't too keen on painting the fence or waxing the car though :D

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every kid wanted a bonsai after seeing the original Karate Kid. My old man had around 70 of them and we used to head out the Bodiam Bonsai nursery in East Sussex a lot. Bonsai were very popular in the 1980s. I remember my nephew wanting his own bonsai after seeing the original karate kid on DVD, he wasn't too keen on painting the fence or waxing the car though :D
I wanted a Bonsai, but was never able to get the appropriate tools
Then I had one for a while, but handed it off to somebody to winter it for me (putting the pot into the ground so the tree could be exposed to the winter without a killing frost to the roots)
As I recall I never got it back.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted a Bonsai, but was never able to get the appropriate tools
Then I had one for a while, but handed it off to somebody to winter it for me (putting the pot into the ground so the tree could be exposed to the winter without a killing frost to the roots)
As I recall I never got it back.
To do what? 😳I’ve never read/heard of doing that! We have bubble wrap now!

Caring for bonsai is very easy and doesn’t really need special tools…it’s just nice to have shiny ones 🤓

The biggest errors are inadequate watering (twice a day in summer if it’s hot ) and not root pruning them and repotting in the same pot, every two years.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To do what? 😳I’ve never read/heard of doing that! We have bubble wrap now!

Caring for bonsai is very easy and doesn’t really need special tools…it’s just nice to have shiny ones 🤓

The biggest errors are inadequate watering (twice a day in summer if it’s hot ) and not root pruning them and repotting in the same pot, every two years.
Small tools.
Bubble wrap was not that prevalent back then and it was easier to just sink the whole thing into the soil.
I also lived in a small apartment without balcony.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That was my nickname at school…😓

It was invented in 1957!

Oh that makes things difficult.
I didn't say it was not around, it was a rare thing.
Not like know when every damn thing is wrapped in a ton of plastic.
And I am sorry for that nickname. I am sure it was meant with love.
I hope.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Welcome to spring in upstate NY in the foothills of the Adirondacks.... we got 4 inches of snow, now freeing rain and sleet, and 2 to 4 inches of snow predicted tonight.... and we had a warm, snow free February, which is usually our coldest, snowiest month.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
about 4 inches of snow this morning...changed to sleet and freezing rain all day...and now it is snowing again, rather hard and we already got 3 more inches..... a wonderful spring day in the foothills of the Adirondacks
I feel your pain. Some areas around here got 2-3 feet a couple weeks ago. But it's 70F today.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
cleaned house since about 8 this morning.
I wish I had more to show for it than shifted piles of junk.
Ok, the big garbage can is half full.
Need to do the same thing again tomorrow
IF I can move that is.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
about 4 inches of snow this morning...changed to sleet and freezing rain all day...and now it is snowing again, rather hard and we already got 3 more inches..... a wonderful spring day in the foothills of the Adirondacks
We are sunny here with highs in the mid 70s. No snow to speak of, but plenty of pollen coating everything…