Last Poster #7

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
true as well.
I am just happy the little tree is growing.
Here Wisteria is classified as non-native invader.
AKA weed. ;)
All the nice plants in the U.K. are not native thanks to Victorian collectors who went around the world searching for the unusual to bring back home. All we had were a few trees and stinging nettles!

If the wisteria weeds produce displays like this, it’s welcome in my garden.
E2C0753D-A1AE-4835-B96F-172514644961.jpeg
3D593479-FA8D-44BC-8A33-4EC055829826.jpeg

Incidently, the Japanese name ‘Fuji’ pertains to wisteria and not the iconic volcanic mountain!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Further observation shows the owl was chasing a bat. I didn’t know that owls went after bats.
I suppose bats are small mammals and owls eat small mammals. Was the owl uninsured?

Traditionally, on the Indian subcontinent, owls are considered to be dim-witted creatures because they come out at night. Come out in the day when stuff is going on!😄

Glaeken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In Indigenous American cultures, the owl is a messenger of doom, and impending death.

The Comanche would scare their children with stories of Pia Mupitsi, the mother owl who scoops bad, wailing children out of their homes in the night, and eats them in her cave.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, its a rodent isn't it :)

A couple a weeks ago I had 2 dang horned owls having a conversation outside my bedroom window....around 3AM
We have a family of three that live on our property. I catch the young one peeking in the window, watching tv from time to time.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bats are not rodents.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Chiroptera

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
All the nice plants in the U.K. are not native thanks to Victorian collectors who went around the world searching for the unusual to bring back home. All we had were a few trees and stinging nettles!

If the wisteria weeds produce displays like this, it’s welcome in my garden.
View attachment 30840View attachment 30841
Incidently, the Japanese name ‘Fuji’ pertains to wisteria and not the iconic volcanic mountain!
Oh, it's pretty, but it's easting the South!
The%20squeeze.png

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In Indigenous American cultures, the owl is a messenger of doom, and impending death.

The Comanche would scare their children with stories of Pia Mupitsi, the mother owl who scoops bad, wailing children out of their homes in the night, and eats them in her cave.
We used to tell the kids in Boston that about priests. Except they’d take the good children.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I suppose bats are small mammals and owls eat small mammals. Was the owl uninsured?

Traditionally, on the Indian subcontinent, owls are considered to be dim-witted creatures because they come out at night. Come out in the day when stuff is going on!😄
We have a couple around my neighborhood who are day hunters. Damn good ones, too.

There’s one who hovers over the road we live on every other day around four in the afternoon. I keep trying to get a photo of him, but I’m too slow. I can hear him owl muttering “fricken paparazzi” as he takes off.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
We have a couple around my neighborhood who are day hunters. Damn good ones, too.

There’s one who hovers over the road we live on every other day around four in the afternoon. I keep trying to get a photo of him, but I’m too slow. I can hear him owl muttering “fricken paparazzi” as he takes off.
Many years ago I was 3rd shift security for a hospital, I'd do rounds outside at night and generally you'd hear all sorts critters making noise. THen one night it was dead silent, that eerie. I started looking around and on the edge of the parking lot, in a tree was a huge horned owl (likely a female). It looked at me, with that "I'm the reason its so quiet you idiot" look, then fell off the limb like a tree falling to the ground, for a second I thought it just died. Then about 6 inches of the ground it opened its wings and glided just 6 inches off the lot, without making a sound, all the way to the other side into the dark.... I thought it was pretty darn cool..... the owl probably thought... there goes the neighborhood

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many years ago I was 3rd shift security for a hospital, I'd do rounds outside at night and generally you'd hear all sorts critters making noise. THen one night it was dead silent, that eerie. I started looking around and on the edge of the parking lot, in a tree was a huge horned owl (likely a female). It looked at me, with that "I'm the reason its so quiet you idiot" look, then fell off the limb like a tree falling to the ground, for a second I thought it just died. Then about 6 inches of the ground it opened its wings and glided just 6 inches off the lot, without making a sound, all the way to the other side into the dark.... I thought it was pretty darn cool..... the owl probably thought... there goes the
Right around that same time I was a cop for the Federal Reserve. Boston had introduced a program a decade or two before, introducing Peregrine Falcons into the area. They first nested them at the Custom House tower.

They flourished. Years later two of them used to hang on a ledge of the 32nd floor of the Fed.

There were floor to ceiling thick curtains inside that floor. We used slowly crawl on the floor and peek under the curtain. The falcons would be inches from our face on the other side of the glass.

Then one or the other would take off, almost straight up. And down it would come hitting a pigeon in flight at two hundred miles an hour.

There would be an explosion of feathers and the falcon would land back on that ledge and devour the pigeon, bones and all.

Saw it a hundred times over the years. It was way cool. Mad props to the Peregrines.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right around that same time I was a cop for the Federal Reserve. Boston had introduced a program a decade or two before, introducing Peregrine Falcons into the area. They first nested them at the Custom House tower.

They flourished. Years later two of them used to hang on a ledge of the 32nd floor of the Fed.

There were floor to ceiling thick curtains inside that floor. We used slowly crawl on the floor and peek under the curtain. The falcons would be inches from our face on the other side of the glass.

Then one or the other would take off, almost straight up. And down it would come hitting a pigeon in flight at two hundred miles an hour.

There would be an explosion of feathers and the falcon would land back on that ledge and devour the pigeon, bones and all.

Saw it a hundred times over the years. It was way cool. Mad props to the Peregrines.
That would definitely be a sight to see!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My old workplace put up a camera on a nest of peregrines that live on Sta George’s Church (now a lecture theatre and student accommodation). You can see them here, live…I can see one sleeping there right now!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My old workplace put up a camera on a nest of peregrines that live on Sta George’s Church (now a lecture theatre and student accommodation). You can see them here, live…I can see one sleeping there right now!

State of NY use to have a camera on one every year. Use to be able to watch it on a screen in the concourse near the capital. Have not been there in years so I am not sure if they still do this or not.

Latest Discussions