Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A couple of months back I mentioned we were trying to recreate some characters from the Breaking Bad series, to make a gift for some friends. We shot some pics the other day. Coming along pretty good so far.

Walt3.jpeg

BBWWrecreate.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of months back I mentioned we were trying to recreate some characters from the Breaking Bad series, to make a gift for some friends. We shot some pics the other day. Coming along pretty good so far.

View attachment 22925

View attachment 22926
That looks exactly like that guy in that show I’ve never seen.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay. I don't know whether it was a generation of teenage girls misusing the term, or Rob Lowe's character on Parks and Recreation. But here is today's fun fact:

The term "literally" means either literally OR figuratively. It's official. Definition of LITERALLY

So, it's okay for someone to say, "I'm lactose intolerant. If I eat that flan, it will literally kill me." Or, "I literally died I was so scared." It's also okay to say, "I'm allergic to peanuts. If I eat them, and you don't have an epipen handy, it will literally kill me."

Now, Merriam-Webster alleges that they didn't change the definition... that it's always been this way. I'm not convinced, but you can read their article on the subject here: Did We Change the Definition of 'Literally'?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay. I don't know whether it was a generation of teenage girls misusing the term, or Rob Lowe's character on Parks and Recreation. But here is today's fun fact:

The term "literally" means either literally OR figuratively. It's official. Definition of LITERALLY

So, it's okay for someone to say, "I'm lactose intolerant. If I eat that flan, it will literally kill me." Or, "I literally died I was so scared." It's also okay to say, "I'm allergic to peanuts. If I eat them, and you don't have an epipen handy, it will literally kill me."

Now, Merriam-Webster alleges that they didn't change the definition... that it's always been this way. I'm not convinced, but you can read their article on the subject here: Did We Change the Definition of 'Literally'?

That's just nuts. But it is so very 2020.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I lost a couple of teeth in fights in my misspent youth. As a result, I have a couple of bridges, which make flossing a pain. So, I don't floss per se, but I do use these guys all the time. I carry them around with me, and use them after I eat pretty much anything. They really do the job, and keep your gums healthy. They're dirt cheap and available in every grocery store around here.

815Frz1N7yL._SL1500_.jpg
I floss daily. Have to work on the tooth and gum health my dentist and I have been working on so hard for over three years now.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

... whatwhatWHAAAAAT??

Wow.... that literally makes no literal sense!

(Btw LOVE Rob Lowe's character on Parks and Rec XD )

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

well clearly languidge has to and always had evolved.

but there needs to be limits as you actually making sense.

for instance a British phrase is '' i couldn't care less, which is clear and precise, it impossible that i could be less concerned about this than i am

where as the american version is '' i could care less '' which makes no sense at all, as clearly you could be less concerned
with this and saying literally when you mean figuratively then a cattle prod should be administered until they stop it

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

for instance a British phrase is '' i couldn't care less, which is clear and precise, it impossible that i could be less concerned about this than i am

where as the american version is '' i could care less '' which makes no sense at all, as clearly you could be less concerned
with this and saying literally when you mean figuratively then a cattle prod should be administered until they stop it
From what I can tell, the American mis-usage of "I could care less" (which, I agree, qualifies for a cattle prod) comes from dropping the beginning of the sarcastic comment "as if I could care less". A good bit of language drift seems to come from lazy and/or shorthand usage.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

@jobo, I don't take anything regarding the English language seriously when it comes from the same country that gave birth to cockney rhyming slang. I've found over the years that Brits are all about the Queen's English, until they open their mouths to speak. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
From what I can tell, the American mis-usage of "I could care less" (which, I agree, qualifies for a cattle prod) comes from dropping the beginning of the sarcastic comment "as if I could care less". A good bit of language drift seems to come from lazy and/or shorthand usage.
Colloquial language isn't lazy. It's just commonly understood, informal communication. If I say something, and you understand it, no problem.

682e31ed-371d-4d82-8d80-583d44673d62_text_hi.gif

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colloquial language isn't lazy. It's just commonly understood, informal communication. If I say something, and you understand it, no problem.

682e31ed-371d-4d82-8d80-583d44673d62_text_hi.gif
That’s what I meant by shorthand. Other areas of drift are often driven by things like lazy pronunciation (pretty common here in the South).

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got good news today. They are finally closing our isolation center....one less thing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions