Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well clearly languidge has to and always had evolved.

but there needs to be limits as you actually making sense.

for instance a British phrase is '' i couldn't care less, which is clear and precise, it impossible that i could be less concerned about this than i am

where as the american version is '' i could care less '' which makes no sense at all, as clearly you could be less concerned
with this and saying literally when you mean figuratively then a cattle prod should be administered until they stop it

Yep, I am guilty of saying that. I suppose I am loud enough and animated enough when I say it that I am sure people get the point. And believe it or not I have mellowed out quite a bit.:)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm going to try GMing a session of Starfinder (kind of like Dungeons and Dragons, but in space) via Zoom this weekend. I've never used Zoom, though my daughter is a real pro because they used it a lot for school. I think it's going to be fun, and might be a way we can play more consistently, even after the quarantine.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wrote this in another thread but meh.

In other news.. people are panic buying again over here. Yep... aisles are EMPTY of toilet paper again! Did we not learn the first time!

People are fearing a second wave and potential further lockdown as it's been double digits for case increases for a week or more now... they ended up restocking the toilet papers eventually last time, so people who bulk bought them didn't know what to do with all that toilet paper! Buy as per a normal shop people!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wrote this in another thread but meh.

In other news.. people are panic buying again over here. Yep... aisles are EMPTY of toilet paper again! Did we not learn the first time!

People are fearing a second wave and potential further lockdown as it's been double digits for case increases for a week or more now... they ended up restocking the toilet papers eventually last time, so people who bulk bought them didn't know what to do with all that toilet paper! Buy as per a normal shop people!
Maybe now is the time for the western world to embrace the bidet. :)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe now is the time for the western world to embrace the bidet. :)

Dude wiper 1000

dude-wiper-hero-mobile.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try GMing a session of Starfinder (kind of like Dungeons and Dragons, but in space) via Zoom this weekend. I've never used Zoom, though my daughter is a real pro because they used it a lot for school. I think it's going to be fun, and might be a way we can play more consistently, even after the quarantine.
I'm imagining my old D&D DM screens arranged in front of the camera, so that's all they see on their end.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We've been using google hangouts for our sessions (none of us have paid for a zoom account). Definitely works and helps with consistency, but I enjoy that inperson interaction to much to stick with it. At least while all of us live within 20 minutes of each other.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Dude wiper 1000

dude-wiper-hero-mobile.jpg
My butt was never cleaner than when I was stationed in Saudi Arabia, where every bathroom had a bidet. I should say, every bathroom outside of ones that were made by us for the troops.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm imagining my old D&D DM screens arranged in front of the camera, so that's all they see on their end.
That's hilarious. My plan is to use my laptop for my camera and to manage the zoom, and use my phone, clamped to the dining room light with a gooseneck holder, as a makeshift overhead camera so I can show the game board for combat rounds. We tested it out this afternoon and it works pretty slick.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We've been using google hangouts for our sessions (none of us have paid for a zoom account). Definitely works and helps with consistency, but I enjoy that inperson interaction to much to stick with it. At least while all of us live within 20 minutes of each other.
Yeah, me too, but I'm honestly hoping this works well, even after Big 'Rona is behind us (if that ever happens). My friend is mobility impaired and has a lot of chronic pain. while he can come over to my place in normal times, he usually can't stay for more than a few hours before he's just too uncomfortable. So, over the last few years as his pain levels have increased, we've played less and less often, when I can get over to his place. I'm hoping that if he's able to be in his comfy chair at home, we'll have longer to game before he has to call it for the day.

How long have you been playing RPGs? Are you just a DnD guy, or did you play any others? When I was a kid, I played them all. Villians and Vigilantes, Top Secret, Boot Hill, Champions. I've been at it for a while.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How long have you been playing RPGs? Are you just a DnD guy, or did you play any others? When I was a kid, I played them all. Villians and Vigilantes, Top Secret, Boot Hill, Champions. I've been at it for a while.
Probably about 10 years. I dabbled in a bunch of them, but the three I spent a decent amount of time playing is D&D, shadowrun and the star wars RPG (not sure it's official name, we called it edge of the empire since that's what it was when the beta first came out, and we haven't bothered adding all the extra stuff).
I actually tried a couple times on here to get a game going, but IIRC a bunch of people play but weren't really interested in doing the online thing or adding a new game on.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I can tell, the American mis-usage of "I could care less" (which, I agree, qualifies for a cattle prod) comes from dropping the beginning of the sarcastic comment "as if I could care less". A good bit of language drift seems to come from lazy and/or shorthand usage.
Ohhhhhhh THAT'S why people say it... always heard people say "I could care less" and it just did not make any sense haha..

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't see any in Germany or the UK. France and Saudi Arabia were on board with the bidet.
they are not unheard of in Germany, and I think Spain has them as well.

you can always get a Japanese toilet....all in one go!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That sounds epic! Have only played D&D the once, but a space version would be crazy.. the imagination can go nuts with that!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey, related to the D&D thing, do any of you guys who play RPGs use software to help? I used PCGen for a long time, and was glad to see that they're still updating the program and adding new things. I was even more glad to see that Starfinder was included. What, if anything, do you guys use?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, related to the D&D thing, do any of you guys who play RPGs use software to help? I used PCGen for a long time, and was glad to see that they're still updating the program and adding new things. I was even more glad to see that Starfinder was included. What, if anything, do you guys use?

DNDBeyond has some excellent tools. So does roll20.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't been on here in like 3 days, and probably won't be for a few more. Just wanted to stop by and let everyone know that my wedding went off well. Problems occurred both before and after the ceremony, but the wedding itself went without a hitch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions