Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or you could roast coffee out on ya front porch!

Did a cheeky little roast just for filter brewing methods (a bit lighter compared to what you'd use for espresso), didn't even monitor temps or anything! Just thought I'd wing it. Livin' on the edge!
22b259727d1a146eb4d89f51973d431e.jpg
65176a0903a74d8cc62147d216e5e22d.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Did a cheeky little roast just for filter brewing methods (a bit lighter compared to what you'd use for espresso), didn't even monitor temps or anything! Just thought I'd wing it. Livin' on the edge!

Interesting coffee fact: Light roast has more caffeine than dark roast. If you are talking by bean and by scoop (volume) however by weight. Dark roast has more caffeine than light roast

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Hey, I've got a Behmor roaster, as well. I thought I was the only person crazy enough to roast green beans at home. Can I ask where you get your coffee beans?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Interesting coffee fact: Light roast has more caffeine than dark roast. If you are talking by bean and by scoop (volume) however by weight. Dark roast has more caffeine than light roast
I wonder if that's due to the residual water in the bean.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What the heck has happened around here? There are like 15 posts a day on the entire site... has everyone just disappeared?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
peeps don't do forums much anymore
a lot of the regulars have drifted to FB...others I am sure prefer twitter or such.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
one thing I have not been able to do ever is about to happen: I will empty a bottle of throat spray before losing it!
And I might suck it up and go to the doctor. It's getting worse, not better

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahh yep that makes sense, I don't think the difference is dramatic but yeah there's a little difference. How you brew can affect it as well.

And probably because of the moisture loss when you take a roast darker (and potential caffeine 'burnoff', but not sure) it weighs less, but the bean also enlarges as you take it darker. So it takes up more room for less weight, dunno if that made sense haha

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, I've got a Behmor roaster, as well. I thought I was the only person crazy enough to roast green beans at home. Can I ask where you get your coffee beans?
OH DO YA, very cool! Yeah I've been roasting for years! Started with a popcorn popper then upgraded to a Behmor (and more recently added the 'Plus' updated panel for manual control) which has served me very well for years. Even modded it up to have a temp probe directly inside the drum for more accurate temps.

I mainly get my beans from Coffeesnobs, who are a dealer of Behmor roasters, the owner has a good relationship with Joe Behm.

But have tried a few other sources like DiBartoli and another fellow who got specialty grade beans with his Co-op. Only specialty coffee I roast. Soooo much to learn haha. Have you been roasting long?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wimps. All of you. If you really wanted to caffeinate you'd mainline the stuff.
Cafcit (caffeine citrate) dose, indications, adverse effects, interactions... from PDR.net
I was surprised to see caffeine used in neo-natals with apnea. Very interesting. It seems ironic that caffeine was kind of Voodoo for a long time.
You will see packaged NoDoz and Vivarin in most convenience stores stateside. It will definitely give you a kick in the pants if needed.
I will pass on mainlining but I have some days when it may help.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to see caffeine used in neo-natals with apnea. Very interesting. It seems ironic that caffeine was kind of Voodoo for a long time.
You will see packaged NoDoz and Vivarin in most convenience stores stateside. It will definitely give you a kick in the pants if needed.
I will pass on mainlining but I have some days when it may help.

It's not really used for apnea in general. In neonates, it's mostly used when the apnea is caused by prenatal narcotic addiction. It's possible to use it for apnea caused by premature birth, but that usually requires intubation anyway. It's not often used for headaches anymore, either. Not in the IV form, at any rate. I do think the best combo ever found for home treatment of migraines is Motrin, Benadryl and NoDoz.

Status
Not open for further replies.