Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everything is working as we need it to. Pretty straightforward.
After the issues with Norton I am pretty anal about data backup as well.

So basically you have absolutely no clue whether anything malicious is running in the background (keyloggers, remailers, ddos bots, etc) if McAfee hasn't found it...

And you might just be backing it up along with your data. But it's not just about data loss anyway.

Good job you don't do your finances online tbh.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting part of these, they are known senders, all work for the department and all are legit e-mails. It is the link in the email that takes you someplace else that is the issue. The thing that gets me is the folks that opened the email, and clicked the link, when the person it was allegedly coming from (although a legitimate employee) would never be sending them anything and most certainly the e-mail subject had absolutely nothing to do with them.

The email boxes were compromised and in the case of the form, it was about 5 months ago, and there is a man in the middle now. Send an email to the person it is from (another employee actually) and you get a response, but it is not from the actual person you think the e-mail is from.

Our problems began with they centralized IT services, basically took us all out of the departments we worked for and stuffed us in one gigantic office. Then took away all the offices e-mail systems and went to a cloud based system that centralized everything. Originally they had no idea how to secure it and those in charge of it were not listening to the old e-mail admins that did. Heck they cut ours out of the e-mial admin circle because he was making them look bad by applying his years of experience to the issues they were having.
A good rule of thumb is not to click on a link you weren't expecting, unless the person sending it explains (in a way that makes sense, coming from them) why they've sent it. If a client sends me a link without an explanation that makes sense, I email them back (not via reply) and ask about it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A good rule of thumb is not to click on a link you weren't expecting, unless the person sending it explains (in a way that makes sense, coming from them) why they've sent it. If a client sends me a link without an explanation that makes sense, I email them back (not via reply) and ask about it.

one of my users did that, email for an explanation, and he got one. However it was not from the owner of the e-mail account, it was the man in the middle that hijacked it. Told him it was fine and explained what it was....give that user props, they still did not open it and called us.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of my users did that, email for an explanation, and he got one. However it was not from the owner of the e-mail account, it was the man in the middle that hijacked it. Told him it was fine and explained what it was....give that user props, they still did not open it and called us.
The actual account was hijacked, so the hacker was receiving the incoming mail? Wow. With some good wording, that would be hard to not get caught by.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The actual account was hijacked, so the hacker was receiving the incoming mail? Wow. With some good wording, that would be hard to not get caught by.

Yup, the hijacker was getting her email, and responding, not sure if she was, but the hacker sure was. There was a "man (or woman) in the middle"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went in last night to talk with a guy I know about maybe doing some part-time door work for him (he's a DSS social worker who has a club security business on the side). Pretty tame work that pays okay, if I can figure out how to be okay with working club hours every now and then.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
They should pay you, or at least send you free stuff!
you are the walking, talking advertisement for the sport!
Thank you. I love doing these things - they are fun and for a good cause. And I do get discounts from the belly dance stuff web site - they always send me extra coupon codes. I also review their stuff and get additional $ off for that too.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Great day off yesterday, went to the gym, went zip lining with some crazy people, then had a couple of tuna sandwiches, then went to the beach for a dip and read for an hour under a floppy hat, then to the local golf club for ribs, rice and cold beer.

I wish I was rich, I could get used to days like that.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Great day off yesterday, went to the gym, went zip lining with some crazy people, then had a couple of tuna sandwiches, then went to the beach for a dip and read for an hour under a floppy hat, then to the local golf club for ribs, rice and cold beer.

Other than the zip lining and the dip in the shark buffet, I'm with ya :D

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I went to a football game, and to the park to play Pokemon Go.
That's when you notice how out of shape you are....
(actually, I realized that when I helped a friend clean up her rental house, and had to climb up and down a step ladder. And the stairs. Even though it's a one story, it's on a hill, and everything is one flight of stairs up!)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Went in last night to talk with a guy I know about maybe doing some part-time door work for him (he's a DSS social worker who has a club security business on the side). Pretty tame work that pays okay, if I can figure out how to be okay with working club hours every now and then.

Well, working a door....let me give you the advice I like to give my youngest......

When in doubt...Irimi Nage em' to the floor :D

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sounds fab. Not sure about zip lining - I am phobically scared of heights. But I would happily cheer you on, maybe do some zip-lining belly dancing (I am totally making this up, of course!).

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
A story shared by my Facebook friend David, who is currently traveling through Europe. This took place in the Czech Republic. "Last night as I was returning to my hotel I was walking towards a bar. I heard a lot of noise coming from the bar and out pops a young man dragging a young woman by her hair. She was crying for help I think and struggling to get away. I yelled in my best Russian “HET”!! He let go of her and she ran behind me. He was yelling at me and I smiled, put up my hand and said “ HET”!!!He stopped in his tracks and started arguing with the bar keep, he just said “Police!!!” Then they pulled up arrested young a&$(%*^hole woman beater, got her some medical attention. I went to my room. Better than TV man!!!"

David looks like Buddha with a mustache - not the beautiful svelte one, but the podgy laughing one. Goes to show it takes all kinds - you don't have to look like Patrick Swayze in "Roadhouse" to be someone's hero.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Played tennis with my dad yesterday. Normally when we play it's about even. I take a bit to warm up, he doesn't have the best stamina, so normally he'll win the first set and I win the second, but still pretty close.

With the amount of pain my neck was in, I couldn't move it too quickly, and more importantly, I couldn't run or change directions too quickly without it hurting (I can deal with the pain, but sudden pain tends to slow down reaction). He ended up winning the first set 6-0, and we called it there. He also decided not to brag about winning, for possibly the first time since I've known him.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds fab. Not sure about zip lining - I am phobically scared of heights. But I would happily cheer you on, maybe do some zip-lining belly dancing (I am totally making this up, of course!).

You need to stay a couple of nights in the Weston in down town Artanta.
the view from the 30th floor is stunning, you get to look down on a Ferris wheel, and yeah, floor to ceiling windows!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
You need to stay a couple of nights in the Weston in down town Artanta.
the view from the 30th floor is stunning, you get to look down on a Ferris wheel, and yeah, floor to ceiling windows!
I do ok with tall buildings. But not with climbing walls, tall obstacles during mud runs, zip lining, etc. It's a huge struggle for me when facing something like that. I also don't like flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.