Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How I want Monday to go: Get up, take the youngest to school, go back home, eat breakfast, go for a walk, cut up the pile od downed branches and limbs, do some additional yard work, go to basement and workout, stretch, do taijiquan and xingyiquan, go pick up the youngest from school.

Reality; get up, get breakfast, take the youngest to school, go to work.
I know my schedule is different. I have gotten up around 2am for so long if]t is hard not to do to it. Programmed in as we like to say. Plus I always get much more work done in the six hour block it just makes the rest of the day so more productive.
I am getting ready to try and move my morning back by two hours though. I have to find some afternoon time for a client.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer my snacks on Saturday. Movie night meets snack night. A combination almost as good as bacon and eggs. ALMOST as good. Its important to make the distinction between the two.
At our house, Sunday is the day we usually have no commitments beyond the home, so snacky Sunday fits us nicely.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
70505811_2573305529606584_5729952978111037440_n.jpg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer my snacks on Saturday. Movie night meets snack night. A combination almost as good as bacon and eggs. ALMOST as good. Its important to make the distinction between the two.
I only eat bacon four or five times a year, but I agree. What sort of snacks do you like? The two favorite ones I came up with and @gpseymour really likes are two kinds of miniature skewers:

- caprese sticks - cherry tomatoes wrapped in basil leaves (I have fresh basil growing in a box on the deck), with a cube of mozzarella, drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
- smoked sausage, cooked, and put on a stick with sliced dates.

Plus, we always have home-made pickles, super-slaw, a couple of kinds of cheese.
70643533_2572387122783037_1311538340520001536_n.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I only eat bacon four or five times a year, but I agree. What sort of snacks do you like? The two favorite ones I came up with and @gpseymour really likes are two kinds of miniature skewers:

- caprese sticks - cherry tomatoes wrapped in basil leaves (I have fresh basil growing in a box on the deck), with a cube of mozzarella, drizzled with balsamic vinegar.

Plus, we always have home-made pickles, super-slaw, a couple of kinds of cheese.
Love it!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That is some serious snacking!

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Chips and salsa ofcourse. That or a chocolate pudding. Gotta keep it simple ya know? Simple and quick. So when movie night comes. Your already prepared and the best part. You didn't have to plan ahead or do any of that thinking stuff.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

That looks awesome! Needs more bacon

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
The wife is booking flight tickets to Thailand for us and the kids. Going in February to visit her parents and the rest of the inlaws.my wife and kids will stay a month but I can only stay 2 weeks. We will do the sights in Bangkok and I also want to see the ruins of the old capital. My wife laughs and tells the kids "daddy wants to go look at some old broken bricks"

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The wife is booking flight tickets to Thailand for us and the kids. Going in February to visit her parents and the rest of the inlaws.my wife and kids will stay a month but I can only stay 2 weeks. We will do the sights in Bangkok and I also want to see the ruins of the old capital. My wife laughs and tells the kids "daddy wants to go look at some old broken bricks"

My wife grew up in Beijing, the first time I went there we went to the Forbidden City and she was ready to leave in 15 minutes. All I heard was "Its jsut another room". Then it changed to "Aww to bad, you can't go in that room. When I was little my family had pick nicks in there and I even sat on that chair"....this culminated with me finally saying to her "I'm glad you're a doctor, because as a tour guide...you'd starve. Did the same dang thing to me a temple of heaven and the summer palace. Great wall, she stopped and told me I'll wait for you here, you go as far as you want. But she was great shopping and a food courts :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made an apple pie today. The Hobbit can't eat raw apples, so at the apple festival (we're in apple country), I promised to make her a pie. At least 5 different kinds of apples (7, I think, but I didn't count), so every bite is a bit different.

But apparently I've forgotten how to get a nice crust. The dough came out well, but instead of making something like a circle to put in the pie pan, I made something that roughly resembled Australia.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip! I don't think I've ever gone anywhere for a month... or even two weeks.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is some serious snacking!
Yes, we take it very seriously around here. I learned how to do snacks as a little girl. All of us, kids, in the family were fairly self-sufficient. And we were also taught how to set the table, how to prep certain things, how to cook (in stages), etc. At our house in particular, my parents had lots of friends, so sometimes people... just showed up. They needed to be fed and entertained. :)

When I was twelve, my mom's bone tumor resurfaced, and she was going through all sorts of biopsies, surgeries, chemo, radiation, etc. She was also on some very heavy pain meds. So, when people came to see her, she was glad to have visitors, but in no shape to entertain them. So, I learned how to throw together some food and drinks and how to amuse them - I sang, I played piano, I maintained conversation, etc.

@gpseymour knows - if someone needs to crash at our house, as long as he gives me like 20 minutes' notice, the guest room will be prepped, and there will be food on the table to get the guest fed and comfortable. It may not be a full meal, but enough to pass for one with various thises and thats, set out in pretty dishes, with real napkins and silverware. :)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chips and salsa ofcourse. That or a chocolate pudding. Gotta keep it simple ya know? Simple and quick. So when movie night comes. Your already prepared and the best part. You didn't have to plan ahead or do any of that thinking stuff.
We like variety. We always have some sort of snacky stuff on hand that doesn't take long to throw together, but it's always something fun.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, we take it very seriously around here. I learned how to do snacks as a little girl. All of us, kids, in the family were fairly self-sufficient. And we were also taught how to set the table, how to prep certain things, how to cook (in stages), etc. At our house in particular, my parents had lots of friends, so sometimes people... just showed up. They needed to be fed and entertained. :)

When I was twelve, my mom's bone tumor resurfaced, and she was going through all sorts of biopsies, surgeries, chemo, radiation, etc. She was also on some very heavy pain meds. So, when people came to see her, she was glad to have visitors, but in no shape to entertain them. So, I learned how to throw together some food and drinks and how to amuse them - I sang, I played piano, I maintained conversation, etc.

@gpseymour knows - if someone needs to crash at our house, as long as he gives me like 20 minutes' notice, the guest room will be prepped, and there will be food on the table to get the guest fed and comfortable. It may not be a full meal, but enough to pass for one with various thises and thats, set out in pretty dishes, with real napkins and silverware. :)

you got 12 hours! I am on my way!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look at all the stuff the locals only got to when visitors from out of town show up!

Status
Not open for further replies.