Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most Chinese food you get in your average takeout place ranges from not the same to doesn't even exist in China. And there are a lot of "Chinese restaurants that are pretty much the same. There are a few, mostly all in a Chinatown, but not all, that are close to what you get in China. But it is also regional, so how they make the "traditional" dish in south China can be very different that the traditional dish made in north China. There is a tofu dish my wife loves and she was craving it during pregnancy, I took her to Boston Chinatown to get it and the had it on the menu. She was excited, until it got there, first taste she realized it was Southern style, and way to sweet. She wanted Northern style which was more salty.

Many years ago I was driving back from Boston to my home in NYS and I was hungry. I had been training CMA that weekend so I decided to get something close to Chinese food. I was in Framingham Ma, to far fro Boston to turn and go back to Chinatown, so I stopped at this little hole in the wall, Chinese take out place. I ordered, expecting the usual takeout fare and what I got amazed the living daylights out of me. The owner/chef was a Hong Kong Trained Chef, actually from Hong Kong, and the food was amazing. I have driven past there since and there is not even a takeout place there anymore. My guess is he made enough money to open a real restaurant somewhere in the area. But then this all occurs over 20 years ago too.
I have been to one (exactly one) Chinese restaurant that I believe to be relatively Chinese. It was in Toronto, and I was referred there by a Chinese immigrant, who told me it was where the Chinese folks went to eat. It was basically a kongee (not sure I'm spelling that right) place, and the experience was very different from what I knew as Chinese food. I enjoyed it, but to this day I'm not sure if I was eating "correctly".

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most Chinese food you get in your average takeout place ranges from not the same to doesn't even exist in China. And there are a lot of "Chinese restaurants that are pretty much the same. There are a few, mostly all in a Chinatown, but not all, that are close to what you get in China. But it is also regional, so how they make the "traditional" dish in south China can be very different that the traditional dish made in north China. There is a tofu dish my wife loves and she was craving it during pregnancy, I took her to Boston Chinatown to get it and the had it on the menu. She was excited, until it got there, first taste she realized it was Southern style, and way to sweet. She wanted Northern style which was more salty.

Many years ago I was driving back from Boston to my home in NYS and I was hungry. I had been training CMA that weekend so I decided to get something close to Chinese food. I was in Framingham Ma, to far fro Boston to turn and go back to Chinatown, so I stopped at this little hole in the wall, Chinese take out place. I ordered, expecting the usual takeout fare and what I got amazed the living daylights out of me. The owner/chef was a Hong Kong Trained Chef, actually from Hong Kong, and the food was amazing. I have driven past there since and there is not even a takeout place there anymore. My guess is he made enough money to open a real restaurant somewhere in the area. But then this all occurs over 20 years ago too.
That makes sense. I would imagine it's the same way with Russian and Ukrainian food in America. I've never had either in the States - I make some at home. But I've read about other folks going to "Russian" restaurants - and what they had didn't even make any sense. Like... we don't ALWAYS eat caviar. I personally hate caviar. The rest of my family loves it, but they don't eat it all the time - it's a HUGE delicacy. You can't just go and get it at the store. It's something you have to know where to get, and then you keep it for special occasions.

A lot of people seem to think that "pierogi" is a Russian dish. Actually , what you have is what Polish people call "pierogi" and Russian and Ukrainian people call "vareniki". Russian and Ukrainian "pierogi" or "perozhki" are also dough pockets filled with something (savory or sweet) but they are baked or fried instead of boiled.

Borshch is not Russian or Ukrainian - it's like this thing spread all over the East European region, and everyone makes it their own way. A very dear old friend of mine, with whom I used to go to college in Ukraine and who now lives in Poland, had told me, as a matter of curiosity, that in Poland, borshch is not really a soup but is more of a beverage. So much so you can get some from a vending machine, as you would coffee or tea. Which totally boggles my mind, because I am from Ukraine, and in Ukraine it's a soup. But he told me that my way of making it is a lot more Polish than Russian or Ukrainian, because I place a lot more emphasis on beets. So... it's a total mess - and it's just one dish!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have been to one (exactly one) Chinese restaurant that I believe to be relatively Chinese. It was in Toronto, and I was referred there by a Chinese immigrant, who told me it was where the Chinese folks went to eat. It was basically a kongee (not sure I'm spelling that right) place, and the experience was very different from what I knew as Chinese food. I enjoyed it, but to this day I'm not sure if I was eating "correctly".

There are several authentic Chinese restaurants in Toronto, due to the large Chinese population. And there is a lot more to it than Congee, but congee is part of my favorite breakfast in Chinese food

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try as I might, I have never mastered chop sticks.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wait, what?!? I thought French fries were an American thing. I think the "French" moniker came from American soldiers stationed in Europe during WWII.

I don't know where they started, but they're definitely an American thing.

The name is a relatively modern American addition.

The actual food though (fried strips of potato) originally came from Belgium (most likely).

Hence the name - Belgium is near France and Belgians speak almost French, so must be French ;)

Of course, this is referring to what we call chips in Britain - get a potato, optionally peel it, slice it, cut slices into strips, salt (and maybe a little extra) and deep fry.

If you instead take a potato, mash it up, dehydrate it, powder it, mix in preservatives, flavourings, stiffeners, binding agents, end up with 10-20% actual potato, shape it into strips and then deep fry - well sure, that's an American invention :D

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, and for a little extra clarification about chips...

Chips aren't flat slices, those are crisps.

Although those really are allegedly an American invention, and were called potato chips. When the rest of the world got them they already called frites chips and having two entirely different things called chips would get confusing.

So, chips stayed as the long strips served hot.

Thin slices served cold became crisps, because they're crispy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are several authentic Chinese restaurants in Toronto, due to the large Chinese population. And there is a lot more to it than Congee, but congee is part of my favorite breakfast in Chinese food
I assumed there was more to it than congee, but that's what stuck in my head from my two (I think) visits to that restaurant. It had the consistency of wallpaper paste, and was delicious. And now that I see the correct spelling, I think the restaurant was Congee King.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try as I might, I have never mastered chop sticks.
I do okay with them. I was told by colleague who grew up in Asia (I think not China, for some reason) that my technique would be seen as odd, but then so was hers - her friends back home made fun of her for it. But we both managed to eat without a problem, so I always claim I'm as bad with chopsticks as a native.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The name is a relatively modern American addition.

The actual food though (fried strips of potato) originally came from Belgium (most likely).

Hence the name - Belgium is near France and Belgians speak almost French, so must be French ;)

Of course, this is referring to what we call chips in Britain - get a potato, optionally peel it, slice it, cut slices into strips, salt (and maybe a little extra) and deep fry.

If you instead take a potato, mash it up, dehydrate it, powder it, mix in preservatives, flavourings, stiffeners, binding agents, end up with 10-20% actual potato, shape it into strips and then deep fry - well sure, that's an American invention :D

Agree, that is why I do not like McDonalds (and the like) fries. I love the skin on a potato as long as it is not a Russet (too thick). If fried I prefer steak fries or, when eating a baked potato I eat it skin and all. My favorite are home fries, a potato cut into slices and fries in a skillet.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I assumed there was more to it than congee, but that's what stuck in my head from my two (I think) visits to that restaurant. It had the consistency of wallpaper paste, and was delicious. And now that I see the correct spelling, I think the restaurant was Congee King.

you can get congee plain, or with vegetables, beef, pork, fish, etc.
my favorite breakfast in Beijing was congee, youtiao and something I have no idea what it is called but it is basically an egg cooked inside a pancake

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agree, that is why I do not like McDonalds (and the like) fries. I love the skin on a potato as long as it is not a Russet (too thick). If fried I prefer steak fries or, when eating a baked potato I eat it skin and all. My favorite are home fries, a potato cut into slices and fries in a skillet.

Yep, McDonald's and the like I happily call fries.

Apart from the baked potato (which I also enjoy the skin) the rest are traditional chips ;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, McDonald's and the like I happily call fries.

Apart from the baked potato (which I also enjoy the skin) the rest are traditional chips ;)
Out of curiosity, what would you call something that looks like a crisp, but is served hot and may or may not be crisp (usually a mix)? In some areas of the US, these are common, and are called "hot chips".

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what would you call something that looks like a crisp, but is served hot and may or may not be crisp (usually a mix)? In some areas of the US, these are common, and are called "hot chips".
Interesting, I am not familiar unless you are describing home fries?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Try it again at some point. I thought I couldn't use them, didn't try for years, picked them up one day in college and it felt natural.

Same darn thing happened to me. It was like I was born with them.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Anything like this?

saute-potatoes-with-sea-salt-rosemary.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.