Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, you sound like you really know what we are talking about. Here is what went on.

We have one of those super-steep mountain driveways you could launch space-shuttles off of. There is a bump in the driveway closer to the top - there to help divert some of the water when we have torrential downpours (every day in the summer). Normally, going down, I stay very gently on the brake because of the steep slope, but not jamming it. Just easing it down.

Here is what happened this time. The donut spare was rear passenger side. I backed out of my parking spot, like I normally do - no problem stopping there. I am still on the flat parking area at the top of the driveway. I turn her to point nose down the driveway. I let off the brakes slowly - she starts to roll before my foot is fully up. At that point I am already feeling something odd. She starts to roll and accelerate. I tap the brakes - nothing. I push all the way down (she had hit that little ridge and is now accelerating fast, is halfway down the driveway, and there is another car coming down the road) - nothing. Now, I know what the pedal feels like when it's a cut line, a leak, a bubble - it's not like that. The pedal feels COMPLETELY NORMAL. In my brain, I know the brake SHOULD be engaged, but it's not. Screw it, I have to handle this thing.

We are flying down the driveway and I am trying to figure out how to crank her to keep from hitting that other car and to keep from flying across the two lanes into the creek (there is not much of a shoulder there). I come barreling to the bottom of the driveway at Mach 2 and crank her as hard as I can to the right. And that's when I clip the mailbox and slice off my passenger side mirror. But she slows down - and I can finally spare a hand to grab the emergency brake (I couldn't before because, at that speed, going downhill, I had trouble controlling the car and needed both hands on the wheel to make that turn). I am not on top of the other car, I am not in the creek - big breaths. I let off the emergency brake very gently and let her roll. I tap the brake pedal and it works. I am out of English and Russian cusswords by that point, so I just put the blinkers on and limp to the mechanic at minimum speed.

Had it happened as your rear wheels went over that bump I could have a nice story as to what may have occurred, but for it to have started before that point (if I'm reading it right) then it changes a little...

It really doesn't sound like a mechanical fault to me...

At such low speed I'd be very surprised if the abs was even thinking about kicking in, but seeing how you say the pedal felt normal it's still worth investigating as there's really nothing else with any sort of control over the braking system (unless it's a hybrid with regenerative braking?)

You say it's a GM? I say to get it into an authorised dealer/workshop and get it on the diagnostic computer...

I say authorised, because here in the UK (and the EU), while it's been compulsory for nigh on 20 years for every car to have an industry standard diagnostic port (OBDII) it doesn't cover everything. I have a generic code reader (same sort of thing most independent mechanics have) and a full pc based Peugeot dealer interface and the difference in functionality and available testing is astounding. I've picked up, tested and rectified faults on a couple of other people's Peugeots that multiple independent garages couldn't find. Not saying they're bad mechanics, just that they lacked the necessary tool - and things are so computerised on modern cars you just can't diagnose the same as in days past (short of systematically replacing parts until the fault goes away).

I can only assume the situation is similar there...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, you sound like you really know what we are talking about. Here is what went on.

We have one of those super-steep mountain driveways you could launch space-shuttles off of. There is a bump in the driveway closer to the top - there to help divert some of the water when we have torrential downpours (every day in the summer). Normally, going down, I stay very gently on the brake because of the steep slope, but not jamming it. Just easing it down.

Here is what happened this time. The donut spare was rear passenger side. I backed out of my parking spot, like I normally do - no problem stopping there. I am still on the flat parking area at the top of the driveway. I turn her to point nose down the driveway. I let off the brakes slowly - she starts to roll before my foot is fully up. At that point I am already feeling something odd. She starts to roll and accelerate. I tap the brakes - nothing. I push all the way down (she had hit that little ridge and is now accelerating fast, is halfway down the driveway, and there is another car coming down the road) - nothing. Now, I know what the pedal feels like when it's a cut line, a leak, a bubble - it's not like that. The pedal feels COMPLETELY NORMAL. In my brain, I know the brake SHOULD be engaged, but it's not. Screw it, I have to handle this thing.

We are flying down the driveway and I am trying to figure out how to crank her to keep from hitting that other car and to keep from flying across the two lanes into the creek (there is not much of a shoulder there). I come barreling to the bottom of the driveway at Mach 2 and crank her as hard as I can to the right. And that's when I clip the mailbox and slice off my passenger side mirror. But she slows down - and I can finally spare a hand to grab the emergency brake (I couldn't before because, at that speed, going downhill, I had trouble controlling the car and needed both hands on the wheel to make that turn). I am not on top of the other car, I am not in the creek - big breaths. I let off the emergency brake very gently and let her roll. I tap the brake pedal and it works. I am out of English and Russian cusswords by that point, so I just put the blinkers on and limp to the mechanic at minimum speed.

Wow. Sounds like a 10 on the pucker factor scale. Glad you are ok.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For those trying to picture it, this is the view from the top of the driveway.

To get some scale, here are two points of reference:
  1. That first railing you see on the left is about 8 feet off the ground and about 20 feet along the driveway from me. It is below my feet.
  2. The house is 2 stories at the base, which is approximately halfway down the drive. At the top of the drive, the waves are at knee level.
In other words, “steep”. And that tiny strip of green on the other side of the road is all that separates the roadway from a creek about 3’ below.
Give that girl a star. Looks like she dodged a bullet. I am curious what you find if it is a mechanical malfunction.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Give that girl a star. Looks like she dodged a bullet. I am curious what you find if it is a mechanical malfunction.
The mechanics ran a full top-to-bottom brake system check and found nothing. After they put the new tires on, they tried to recreate the issue and could not. Which brings us back to the donut spare.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had it happened as your rear wheels went over that bump I could have a nice story as to what may have occurred, but for it to have started before that point (if I'm reading it right) then it changes a little...

It really doesn't sound like a mechanical fault to me...

At such low speed I'd be very surprised if the abs was even thinking about kicking in, but seeing how you say the pedal felt normal it's still worth investigating as there's really nothing else with any sort of control over the braking system (unless it's a hybrid with regenerative braking?)

You say it's a GM? I say to get it into an authorised dealer/workshop and get it on the diagnostic computer...

I say authorised, because here in the UK (and the EU), while it's been compulsory for nigh on 20 years for every car to have an industry standard diagnostic port (OBDII) it doesn't cover everything. I have a generic code reader (same sort of thing most independent mechanics have) and a full pc based Peugeot dealer interface and the difference in functionality and available testing is astounding. I've picked up, tested and rectified faults on a couple of other people's Peugeots that multiple independent garages couldn't find. Not saying they're bad mechanics, just that they lacked the necessary tool - and things are so computerised on modern cars you just can't diagnose the same as in days past (short of systematically replacing parts until the fault goes away).

I can only assume the situation is similar there...
It's a Buick Encore. I am making inquiries with GM as to whether they will cover the diagnostics. If they don't, I am not sure what to do, since I can't afford it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a Buick Encore. I am making inquiries with GM as to whether they will cover the diagnostics. If they don't, I am not sure what to do, since I can't afford it.
I cannot remember the site offhand but there is a recall and claims site for car makers. Hopefully Goggle can find it.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to sayvthis delicately and secure in most of a state and a half of separation...

Is there the slighrest possibility that, as things began to go metaphorically sideways, the Hobbit perhaps pressed down upon the wrong pedal, resulting in no braking at all?

You see, I have seen sucb things happen more than once...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to sayvthis delicately and secure in most of a state and a half of separation...

Is there the slighrest possibility that, as things began to go metaphorically sideways, the Hobbit perhaps pressed down upon the wrong pedal, resulting in no braking at all?

This happened to me once, and was exactly where my mind went. I wasn't going to be the one to say it though...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So today me and one of my best friends of 10+ years were sparring (he has no official experience with grappling, but his karate style claims to teach grappling, and he has been in a lot more fights than I have), and I was surprised-I don't consider myself good in BJJ/Judo/grappling arts, but I got him to tap out 5 times in a row, which i was very proud of. It taught me that what I've been learning, even if I can't see progress against those that are higher ranked than me, does in fact work against "street brawlers".

Definitely different than the past.

However, since I left his house about 10 hours ago, I've had a limp and my foots been hurting. I think I hurt myself during one throw-a valley drop/Tani Otoshi. It worked in the sense that I got the throw, and it lead to an armbar that made him tap. But my foots still hurting 10 hours later. Hoping it's better by tomorrow for class (luckily not working tomorrow, otherwise I'd be much more concerned...)

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Still unwell... been on antibiotics for 6 days now and still feel roughly the same. The phlegm-iness has mostly gone, but still bad nausea. Gonna see out the 10 days of meds... but I've heard that alot of people actually feel nauseous as a side effect of antibiotics... that may be contributing... just curious does anyone here experience this?

Hadn't moved all day so felt I needed to; did some yoga, mobility exercises, and karate stuff (including some of skribs' exercises in his recent thread). Feel bit better :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Still unwell... been on antibiotics for 6 days now and still feel roughly the same. The phlegm-iness has mostly gone, but still bad nausea. Gonna see out the 10 days of meds... but I've heard that alot of people actually feel nauseous as a side effect of antibiotics... that may be contributing... just curious does anyone here experience this?

Hadn't moved all day so felt I needed to; did some yoga, mobility exercises, and karate stuff (including some of skribs' exercises in his recent thread). Feel bit better :)

It depends on the antibiotic. I felt lousy for weeks when I had the tick bite stuff, felt a little better. But I did not feel better until I finished the antibiotics I was on.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If she had a foot on the accelerator (automatic transmission, so that's the only other option), she'd have flipped it at the bottom trying to turn. Quite literally, just coasting down (which I've done a few times) produces the kind of speed she's describing. I'm honestly shocked that even at the speed of coasting from the top she was able to make the turn, so I'm suspecting that the brakes were doing something, just not much.

NB: I've actually been down that drive with failed brakes, but I knew it in advance, so was nursing the emergency brake from the top all the way down.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had a a great week last week....4 days at the Arizona Grand Resort in Phoenix, AZ.

Jacob won 1st in Sparring at the USKA World Championship making it his 5th in a row. (14-15 year old advanced)

2nd in Kata (14-15 year old advanced)

1st in Weapon forms (14-17 year old advanced)

And won his first Weapons Grand Championship (17 and under)

Also made the Jr National team again.

Also Jacob got to be an attacker on one of the Bunkai Teams for the Adult blackbelt Kata grand finals.
45356.jpeg 20190714_230231.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Had a a great week last week....4 days at the Arizona Grand Resort in Phoenix, AZ.

Jacob won 1st in Sparring at the USKA World Championship making it his 5th in a row. (14-15 year old advanced)

2nd in Kata (14-15 year old advanced)

1st in Weapon forms (14-17 year old advanced)

And won his first Weapons Grand Championship (17 and under)

Also made the Jr National team again.

Also Jacob got to be an attacker on one of the Bunkai Teams for the Adult blackbelt Kata grand finals.
View attachment 22349 View attachment 22350

That is AWESOME!!
Congratulations to Jacob

That trophy is taller than he is :)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am going to say this delicately and secure in most of a state and a half of separation...

No. You see... I have very short legs and very small feet. So...moving between the gas pedal and the brake pedal requires not just shuffling the foot but physically picking up my leg and moving it. Because of this, I am very certain where my foot was at the moment. Also, if I were pressing on the gas pedal, the engine would have revved up - it was not the case. The last but not the least, we have been living at that house with that driveway for - @gpseymour , what? - eight years now. I ALWAYS have my foot on the brake going down. Always. I back out of my parking spot and stop to switch from Rear to Drive, and my foot remains on the brake from that point until I reach the bottom of the driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions