Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know... I am reminded of a passage from one of my favorite childhood books. The events take place in the late 19th - early 20th century. This little girl goes to the zoo, where she gets to see a performance by a female lion tamer. The little girl is absolutely fascinated by the tamer and finds her dazzling. Of course, she immediately decides ordinary professions are not for her and decides to become a lion tamer too. She tells her parents and her tutor who happens to be present. The girl's father asks, "Why do you want to be a tamer?"
"Because she is so brave - she is a hero!"
"Brave? Yes. Hero? No, she is not a hero."
"How can you say she's not a hero? Would you walk into a cage with tigers and lions?"
"No. I didn't say she wasn't courageous. But what does she use her courage for? Had she used it to save a someone - a child, or even a cow - then she would have been a hero. As it is, she is throwing her courage away and risking her life to amuse the ignorant crowds. No, she is not a hero."
well, yeah, but with a side of 'educational' moralism, while a totalitarian country is using the lion tamer to feed entertainment to the masses
Panem et Circenses....

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any progress?
Where I grew up was at the end of a power line that ran a considerable length through the woods. The record for an outage is 27 days (ice storm of 79). No telling how many 5-8 day outages we had. We heated with wood and cooked with propane so heat was not a issue. Always a hassle in warmer weather where we were frequently needing ice.
Sometime in the 90's the power company finally ran the line into the house from a different direction.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He doesn't actually pick his roles, his wife does. She's a casting agent. She just hands him a script and tells him what part he'll be playing. He always said in print media that being scary and being funny are different sides of the same thing.

I'm a huge Walken fan.
I really enjoy his acting. Something about his eyes have always scared the hell out of me.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really enjoy his acting. Something about his eyes have always scared the hell out of me.

I know what you mean, bro. This scene, from True Romance....just scares the bejesus out of me.
To me, that's the scariest gangster I ever saw in movies. And when he talks about how to read a liar...I just squirm.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A nice young man that works at the airport is going through the last steps before being accepted into the FBI and heading to the academy at Quantico. He's a point shy from passing the physical fitness test of push ups, sit ups, the running qualifications etc. He asked if I'd help him get in test shape and I said sure. I've done it for a lot of guys over the years, guys trying to get on State Police, Feds, City police, whatever. But I haven't done it in over ten years.

Met with him this morning, after I already did my own workout. Had some fun, got in some good training......but I ended up doing everything with him just trying to get him mentally pumped up. I even sprinted with him. I don't even remember the last time I really sprinted all out. We did massive amounts of sit ups, did tons of push ups with weight vests on, all in the hot Hawaiian sun. And, man, it was hot today.

Good fricken' Lord I don't think I'm going to be able to even stand up tonight. And I'm working a ten hour shift tomorrow.

I am all kinds of stupid.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
A nice young man that works at the airport is going through the last steps before being accepted into the FBI and heading to the academy at Quantico. He's a point shy from passing the physical fitness test of push ups, sit ups, the running qualifications etc. He asked if I'd help him get in test shape and I said sure. I've done it for a lot of guys over the years, guys trying to get on State Police, Feds, City police, whatever. But I haven't done it in over ten years.

Met with him this morning, after I already did my own workout. Had some fun, got in some good training......but I ended up doing everything with him just trying to get him mentally pumped up. I even sprinted with him. I don't even remember the last time I really sprinted all out. We did massive amounts of sit ups, did tons of push ups with weight vests on, all in the hot Hawaiian sun. And, man, it was hot today.

Good fricken' Lord I don't think I'm going to be able to even stand up tonight. And I'm working a ten hour shift tomorrow.

I am all kinds of stupid.
Worth it!

But good onya mate, am sure he would have really appreciated the help, and would've given his confidence a massive boost too. Bless ya :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
20190622_173342.jpg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today in belly dancing we learned the shoulder roll combined with snake arm Salma Hayek does in "From Dusk Til Dawn". If you don't look up anything else today - you have to look up THAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions