Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
In other random news:

My 5 year old niece had to go to hospital yesterday because she hasn't eaten at all, and barely drunk, for 4 days.

I convinced her earlier to tell her mum (my sister) why she's not wanting to eat.

Her school teachers told her that sugar, salt and fat are bad for you...

No explanation, no "excessive amounts", no healthy balance - no, simply "sugar, salt, fat = bad".

She won't even have stuff like fruit juice "the box says there is sugar in it" (the nutrition information panel printed on everything).

It's so conflicting - on one hand you obviously tell kids to listen to their teachers - on the other hand they spout this sort of crap that you then have to deprogram. We had the same with our kid's teachers - luckily we nipped it in the bud and with proper explanations sorted it out.

I understand there's supposed to be a childhood obesity problem going on and that something needs to be done - but apparently the fat kids don't listen anyway and the normal/slim kids take it to heart and starve themselves so as not to get fat.

Annoyed just doesn't begin to cover it.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
In other random news:

My 5 year old niece had to go to hospital yesterday because she hasn't eaten at all, and barely drunk, for 4 days.

I convinced her earlier to tell her mum (my sister) why she's not wanting to eat.

No explanation, no "excessive amounts", no healthy balance - no, simply "sugar, salt, fat = bad".

She won't even have stuff like fruit juice "the box says there is sugar in it" (the nutrition information panel printed on everything).

It's so conflicting - on one hand you obviously tell kids to listen to their teachers - on the other hand they spout this sort of crap that you then have to deprogram. We had the same with our kid's teachers - luckily we nipped it in the bud and with proper explanations sorted it out.

I understand there's supposed to be a childhood obesity problem going on and that something needs to be done - but apparently the fat kids don't listen anyway and the normal/slim kids take it to heart and starve themselves so as not to get fat.

Ah yikes... that's shocking mate sorry to hear... unfortunate when people just label whole food categories as "bad", especially to kids who will take it to heart.

Hope she's okay.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other random news:

That's just bad teaching. Need me to swim over and have a word with them?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I write sci fi and fantasy in the magical realism style and translate obscure works of Russian and Ukrainian literature. There is a lot of dialog, science, philosophy, and no sex, violence, explosions, or bogus advice about how to become happy and rich in one month. There are many long words and complete sentences. I love Oprah, but I don't think what I have to offer would sell even if she endorsed it. ;)
anything she endorses sell. At least for one wave! (but her influence has waned some since she retired her show)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In other random news:

holy bovine! that is callous!
that's the ticket to severe eating disorders!

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's just bad teaching. Need me to swim over and have a word with them?

To be honest, seeing my sister's reaction (and the way she was typing the email to the teacher requesting a meeting) I almost feel sorry for the teacher...

holy bovine! that is callous!
that's the ticket to severe eating disorders!

Got that right.

There's something just not right about a 5 year old saying "I don't want to go to McDonald's because I don't want to get fat and die".

Not that going there was a regular thing for them anyway, but once in like every 6 weeks is hardly excessive. She liked going there (happy meal with a crappy toy marketing obviously works), but not today.

I have to say, we had similar. As in I had a stand up argument - which culminated in a threat to call the police - with my kid's headteacher and her deputy because they banned my son from taking sandwiches made with seeded granary bread due to possible nut allergies (sent a letter home to say if he took it again they'd confiscate and dispose 'safely').

My subsequent 12 page report containing references from the allergy association, NHS, PHE and other bodies making the case that seeds aren't nuts, should not be classified the same and are never subject to nut restrictions (along with a personal treatise on the link between lack of exposure being a likely cause of allergies) was met with a note to say he was allowed that bread :D

They backed down almost instantly when I challenged the proposed ban on any chocolate products or crisps (potato chips) in packed lunches (I simply said that our children are in no way unhealthy, and removal of food items from their lunch would constitute theft which would get reported).

You think my posts here are long - you should see the letters I send to school when they put a cat amongst my pigeons...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, seeing my sister's reaction (and the way she was typing the email to the teacher requesting a meeting) I almost feel sorry for the teacher...

Got that right.

There's something just not right about a 5 year old saying "I don't want to go to McDonald's because I don't want to get fat and die".

Not that going there was a regular thing for them anyway, but once in like every 6 weeks is hardly excessive. She liked going there (happy meal with a crappy toy marketing obviously works), but not today.

I have to say, we had similar. As in I had a stand up argument - which culminated in a threat to call the police - with my kid's headteacher and her deputy because they banned my son from taking sandwiches made with seeded granary bread due to possible nut allergies (sent a letter home to say if he took it again they'd confiscate and dispose 'safely').

My subsequent 12 page report containing references from the allergy association, NHS, PHE and other bodies making the case that seeds aren't nuts, should not be classified the same and are never subject to nut restrictions (along with a personal treatise on the link between lack of exposure being a likely cause of allergies) was met with a note to say he was allowed that bread :D

They backed down almost instantly when I challenged the proposed ban on any chocolate products or crisps (potato chips) in packed lunches (I simply said that our children are in no way unhealthy, and removal of food items from their lunch would constitute theft which would get reported).

You think my posts here are long - you should see the letters I send to school when they put a cat amongst my pigeons...
Sic 'em, brother.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
In other random news:

Oh my goodness, that is terrible! That teacher needs a healthy slap upside the head. Wait for me - I want to participate! Seriously, did they not teach them in child psychology that you CANNOT hand kids absolutes and expect no consequences? Grrrr... I hope the little girl will be ok. Tell her there is a short chubby hobbit in this world who nevertheless dances and does obstacle events.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest, seeing my sister's reaction (and the way she was typing the email to the teacher requesting a meeting) I almost feel sorry for the teacher....
I don't. I get it that teachers are overworked and underpaid - it's that way everywhere in the world and it is awful. But becoming a teacher is a choice. Surely - SURELY - people becoming teachers cannot NOT know what they are getting into. It's been covered so many times, the challenges of the job cannot come as a surprise. At the same time, SURELY they understand they hold those pristine little brains in their hands and it's kind of important to THINK before depositing something in there.

Got that right.

I think you did all the right things - and serves them right. Ignorant morons. We need more of you.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Holy Big Ben Batman...I have a free 15 minutes in my morning.....to the Bat Cave.....wait...no...to the basement...taijiquan time
It's funny you should mention the Bat Cave... This is actually our exit off I-26.
0047c2056ed83afdf2e5883b0450b98e.jpg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oddly, we're nearly 27,000 miles from it.

Less than that actually.

You're significantly less than 27,000 miles from me, and I'm 122 miles from Gotham.

It's a 2hr59m drive for me:

Screenshot_20190104-160834.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions