Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I can see, it has a short lead in the other direction, then the pull on the arm leads the shoulder down and across. That down-and-across lead shows up in a few techniques we have from Daito-ryu. If the foot on that side (the same side as the arm) doesn't have a chance to compensate, it results in a surprisingly fast downward fall from the shoulder. The purpose of the short lead to uke's left (the arm in question) is to both generate some momentum and to set some weight onto the left foot so it can't compensate. You can see those principles in aiki arts, but seldom will you see them get to this kind of application - it just doesn't look as pretty, and all the set-up time doesn't fit the aesthetic of most aiki folks. But this is what aiki should be like, IMO.
I looked for a video with some explanation, but couldn't find it. This video has a different throw, but the principle of using the arm to get the shoulder down and across is the same. Interestingly (to me), this one's titled "2 on 1", which is the name of one of the techniques that teaches this principle in NGA.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first batch of Christmas cards and packages is DONE. Meanwhile, awesome husband emptied and cleaned the fridge. Methinks we shall reward ourselves with "Arthur Christmas" for all that work.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I looked for a video with some explanation, but couldn't find it. This video has a different throw, but the principle of using the arm to get the shoulder down and across is the same. Interestingly (to me), this one's titled "2 on 1", which is the name of one of the techniques that teaches this principle in NGA.

Coach reckons he knows how to do it but won't tell me. So he can do it to me.

I might have to go above his head and ask the super coach.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coach reckons he knows how to do it but won't tell me. So he can do it to me.

I might have to go above his head and ask the super coach.
If you get some insight, please share. I'm curious to know if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing. It's a quick clip, and I didn't have any luck finding other clips in a (very) brief search.

EDIT: Saw your subsequent post. I'm loading that link now.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Three years ago, I undertook a trip to Italy to restore my weakened health, particularly to undergo some of the grape juice treatment. - Alexei Konstantinovich Tolstoy, "The Ghoul"

That is like the classiest way to say, "I felt sick and tired, so I went off to Italy to drink. "

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a 50/50 chance! I think it's worth trying.
next-time-your-wife-gets-angry-put-a-cape-on-35747565.png

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.