Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Old quote...

However your Vet is not most cars and to come close to that you are not talking your average everyday motorcycle, you're talking things like the BMW K 1200S, Yamaha YZF R1, or Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird and of course a completely insane rider with a death wish.

A BMW K12 isn't actually a very quick bike.

Nor is a blackbird.

They have a high top speed, but not a lot of urgency getting there.

The R1 is quick and fast, I'll give you that one ;)

It's very likely different in the US, but over here a 600-1000cc sports bike capable of 150+mph and sub 4-5 second 0-60 times is considered an average everyday motorcycle - lopers with raked out forks and an armchair style seat just aren't common at all.

Oh, and when I had a proper job and used to commute on my 600, 100mph was roughly commuting speed.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a cold going around over here, too. My wife is dog sick with it. Odd, she works at home and I'm exposed to thousands of people at work every day. But I take good precautions. And cross my fingers a lot.

I hope everyone feels better. Get some rest.
The hardest part for me is to dislodge the crud that accumulates in the chest because of the inflammation and the post-nasal drip. See, I was born a premie, and that was a very long time ago in the Soviet Union, so, long story short - my lungs never developed properly. Essentially, I have the lungs of a 10-12-year old child. So, it's hard for me to cough productively and get all that stuff out. This, of course, causes more inflammation and shortness of breath, which makes me very sluggish and impairs my ability to exercise properly.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought a 5 piece nativity set (from the used bookstore in the library, one dollar, so no harm done)

and I got to looking at it:
Baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph, so far so good

and two more dudes.
What happened to the 3rd Wise Guy?! Did he take a wrong turn at Albuquerque?!
No Angel?!
Did she run off with said Wise Guy?

Why not a sheep and a donkey?!

Or did they get detained at the border?

Now I am having all those questions!
So, we were out at a large antique shop today. We found this nativity set, also missing the third wise man and angel, though some livestock showed up:
98281548-C17B-4635-B3DF-66DBE08315D4.jpeg

And this one, with at least 4 wise men, and a plethora of animals:
C5C772BB-413B-45A4-A21D-8B18C60B9C6D.jpeg

And then this one, where Joseph appears to have run off with the angel, taking the baby with him:
04729A56-385E-47B0-A13F-CE9F47F08E5E.jpeg

Christmas is complicated.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, we were out at a large antique shop today. We found this nativity set, also missing the third wise man and angel, though some livestock showed up:
View attachment 21934

And this one, with at least 4 wise men, and a plethora of animals:
View attachment 21935

And then this one, where Joseph appears to have run off with the angel, taking the baby with him:
View attachment 21936

Christmas is complicated.
In case anyone is concerned, @gpseymour was under adult supervision at that antique store. So... no permanent damage was done. He did buy some French mystery novels... but that was unavoidable.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So this is Aiki yeah?

Didn't work wait.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What even happened there? My assumption is the guy slipped from the change, but it looked like blue planned that, since he capitalized before the guy finished falling. How?

It is called a Russian tie snap. But otherwise I don't know much about it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What even happened there? My assumption is the guy slipped from the change, but it looked like blue planned that, since he capitalized before the guy finished falling. How?

It is called a Russian tie snap. But otherwise I don't know much about it.
From what I can see, it has a short lead in the other direction, then the pull on the arm leads the shoulder down and across. That down-and-across lead shows up in a few techniques we have from Daito-ryu. If the foot on that side (the same side as the arm) doesn't have a chance to compensate, it results in a surprisingly fast downward fall from the shoulder. The purpose of the short lead to uke's left (the arm in question) is to both generate some momentum and to set some weight onto the left foot so it can't compensate. You can see those principles in aiki arts, but seldom will you see them get to this kind of application - it just doesn't look as pretty, and all the set-up time doesn't fit the aesthetic of most aiki folks. But this is what aiki should be like, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions