Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals!

I've been off line and off Island for a while, I hope everyone is well. Some of you had been in contact and I never got back to you. I will do so this week. Until then...rock on. :)

View attachment 21709
Meteor showers. Locking up a beach parking lot at work. Cool.
Welcome back, brother. Missed you around here.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
EXACTLY!!!!! Breakfast food

all kidding aside, from Mrs Xue's point of view, all cakes, cookies, seats, etc. should be eaten at breakfast time and no other time throughout the day. That way your body has time to burn it off. Have it later in the day, when you're less active, you do not burn it off
I'm a savory breakfast guy.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Somehow... it looks more sophisticated in Chinese. @gpseymour says most Russian sounds like cusswords to him (even though I wouldn't teach him any real cusswords). And one of my audiobook narrators told me that he started using complicated Russian names from my translations as profanities. He is really getting a kick out of it - apparently it's loads of fun when you stub your toe and scream "Agraphena Nikityevna!".

My ex-wife told me absolutely everything I said in German sounded like "I want to kill you"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ex-wife told me absolutely everything I said in German sounded like "I want to kill you"
I was explaining to a native-German student what little German I learned as a kid was what parents yell at kids (be quiet, eat, close that window, what’s going on, hurry up, etc.). Walt couldn’t understand any of my words. Apparently, my dad fussed in very bad German.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was explaining to a native-German student what little German I learned as a kid was what parents yell at kids (be quiet, eat, close that window, what’s going on, hurry up, etc.). Walt couldn’t understand any of my words. Apparently, my dad fussed in very bad German.

be quiet,
安静
Ānjìng

eat,

Chī

close that window,
关闭那个窗口
Guānbì nàgè chuāngkǒu

what’s going on
这是怎么回事
Zhè shì zěnme huí shì

hurry up
赶快
Gǎnkuài

Hurry up however is usually this repeated multiple times in quick succession

Zǒu
example; Zǒu Zǒu Zǒu Zǒu
There is also the louder and more agrivating sounding Zǒule (走了)

And this one is geernally only said to me.... I will let you use google translate to figure it out
我会打败你
Wǒ huì dǎbài nǐ

And unless you can find a Beijingren (Beijing Person) to pronounce those for you, they will sound a bit ddifferently than the Mandarin taught in school;

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
be quiet,
安静
Ānjìng

eat,

Chī

close that window,
关闭那个窗口
Guānbì nàgè chuāngkǒu

what’s going on
这是怎么回事
Zhè shì zěnme huí shì

hurry up
赶快
Gǎnkuài

Hurry up however is usually this repeated multiple times in quick succession

Zǒu
example; Zǒu Zǒu Zǒu Zǒu
There is also the louder and more agrivating sounding Zǒule (走了)

And this one is geernally only said to me.... I will let you use google translate to figure it out
我会打败你
Wǒ huì dǎbài nǐ

And unless you can find a Beijingren (Beijing Person) to pronounce those for you, they will sound a bit ddifferently than the Mandarin taught in school;
Ok, since we are doing this...

Be quiet - Потише or Тихо - Potishe or Tiho
Eat - Ешь - Yesh
Close that window - Закрой окно - Zakroy okno
Hurry up - Поторапливайся - Potoraplivaysya

Re: 我会打败你 - isn't that abuse? Unless it takes place in class?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Re: 我会打败你 - isn't that abuse? Unless it takes place in class?

Well, since it is my wife saying this to me..... I think its legal...especially if the wife you are speaking of is Chinese..... besides, I tell all my Chinese relative
Wǒ Tàitài dǎ wǒ (this might be Beijing slang)
(my wife beats me)
Actual mandarin translation is
我的妻子打败了我
Wǒ de qīzi dǎbàile wǒ

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@gpseymour , you should do these in French.
I'm not sure how good my idiom is, but here goes:
Be quiet - Silence (see-lonce)
Eat - Mange (mohnzhe)
Close that window - Ferme la fenêtre (fehrm lah fuhnehtr)
Hurry up - Dépêche-toi (day-pesh twah)

I'm pretty sure the idiom is right (at least was, 30 years ago) for the first and last ones. The ones in the middle might have more common forms.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I should probably say that in my house I rarely hear 安静 Ānjìng..... But I do often hear 闭嘴 Bì zuǐ

I have to learn this Bugs bunny response in Mandarin for the next time I hear Bì zuǐ :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Great start to the day . Sitting across from a crazy right wing nut job talking about how the mafia controls the government and the liberals literally hate conservatives so much that they think about things conservatives like and then ruin them. Like tobacco. Chubby guy in a security firm polo . Walking stereotype.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great start to the day . Sitting across from a crazy right wing nut job talking about how the mafia controls the government and the liberals literally hate conservatives so much that they think about things conservatives like and then ruin them. Like tobacco. Chubby guy in a security firm polo . Walking stereotype.
Oh dear.... Here is a kitten with a teddy bear.
kitten-and-teddy-bear_njg0slk02__F0000.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions