Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know...after making steal cut oat meal and currently baking barbecue tempeh and ginger tofu....with piles of branched in need of lashing together, a AC unit in need of installation and a tractor and a mower in need of oil changes I am beginning to wonder why I log on my computer at all on the weekends
Because if you didn't, you'd have to do those oil changes?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
EXACTLY! And it always drives me nuts when I see a couple at a restaurant - apparently on a date, but one of them had clearly made an effort to dress up for a special occasion and the other clearly doesn't give a damn. And it goes both ways - regardless of gender.
Lol. I was talking about MS Word, but I agree. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Alright. Ribs and German potato salad today. Kids are coming over. Might grill some corn, too.

Making a batch of soap now, though.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Indeed! Only real men can survive the heels.
A-Wong-Foo-2.jpg
73d05d7a439406da14fbdf2b8b0ce48d.jpg
Eddie%2BIzzard.jpg

The photo from Some Like it Hot really blew my mind. Big time. I know it was shot in black and white and was never colorized. And Marilyn Monroe had a contract that all of her films would be shot in color. And I saw Some Like it Hot when I was a kid, on the day of my first Communion.

I had to google around. They were from a handful of promotional pics. Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon appeared ghoulish in color screen tests, so Billy Wilder decided on black and white, and Marilyn agreed.

My mom was close friends with Jack Lemmon's mother, Millie, which makes me.....really fricken old.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lol. I was talking about MS Word, but I agree. :)
That too. I am still trying to figure out what I get more guff about - document consistency and readability or actually getting dressed after one rolls out of bed in the morning. ;)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
The photo from Some Like it Hot really blew my mind. Big time. I know it was shot in black and white and was never colorized. And Marilyn Monroe had a contract that all of her films would be shot in color. And I saw Some Like it Hot when I was a kid, on the day of my first Communion.

I had to google around. They were from a handful of promotional pics. Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon appeared ghoulish in color screen tests, so Billy Wilder decided on black and white, and Marilyn agreed.

My mom was close friends with Jack Lemmon's mother, Millie, which makes me.....really fricken old.
So, what you are saying is - it runs in the family. :)

Some Like it Hot is one of my dad's favorite movies. Whenever they brought it to the movie theaters in town, we always went to see it. Which... I suppose... makes me really freaking old too - because I still remember when the only way to see an American movie in Ukraine was to wait for it to be allowed at the movie theaters. That's how I watched The Godfather and Gone With the Wind. Oh, and How to Steal a Million.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, what you are saying is - it runs in the family. :)

I don't know. Jack Lemmon was born just outside of Boston and my folks knew his folks. He went to Harvard and was president of the Hasty Pudding Club. My dad, a bartender for fifty two years, used to work unauthorized parties for Jack and his hasty Pudding classmates at Harvard.

Years later, when I was seven, I met Jack Lemmon at my house. It was right after after he made the film Operation Mad Ball, which is still one of my favorite, old, black and white movies.

He was just another friend of your parents, one you nodded to and hoped would go away so you could go out and play.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
me and the family went to the Thai Buddhist temple yesterday. got sucked into sitting in seiza while my wife and others sat chatting with the head monk in Thai so i couldnt understand a word spoken, then we all did a meditation session with him. i should mention my knees are very against seiza or any type of kneeling. so i woke up this morning with my knees feeling their best (sarcasm if you couldnt tell) having a hard time walking today. and my office is up a flight of stairs from the shop floor....wonderfull.....:bawling:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
me and the family went to the Thai Buddhist temple yesterday. got sucked into sitting in seiza while my wife and others sat chatting with the head monk in Thai so i couldnt understand a word spoken, then we all did a meditation session with him. i should mention my knees are very against seiza or any type of kneeling. so i woke up this morning with my knees feeling their best (sarcasm if you couldnt tell) having a hard time walking today. and my office is up a flight of stairs from the shop floor....wonderfull.....:bawling:
Ow.... Would it have been a violation of protocol if you sat some other way? I am not being facetious - I honestly don't know.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Good news/bad news

Good News
Youngest did good in her piano eval and has been invited to play her Rachmaninoff in a concert at a local college

Bad News
My youngest tested positive for strep

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ow.... Would it have been a violation of protocol if you sat some other way? I am not being facetious - I honestly don't know.
well for starters its a wood floor, no chairs as the Asian culture doesnt use them. the monks sat on a carpet and everyone else gets a thin cushion. but i like yourself am not overly familiar with Thai manners. i do know your not supposed to sit with the bottoms of your feet showing or aimed at other people i would assume the bottoms of your feet pointed at the Buddha and the monks would be a really big no no. so i didnt want to do anything to disrupt the flow of the visit or offend anyone. i just sucked it up and went with it.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good news/bad news

Good News
Youngest did good in her piano eval and has been invited to play her Rachmaninoff in a concert at a local college

That is amazing! There aren't a lot of people who can play Rachmaninoff.

Bad News
My youngest tested positive for strep
That's not good. And not conducive to playing Rachmaninoff.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good afternoon, all.

Did I miss something? Was a thread deleted? I notice my post count is lower than I remember.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rosetta Stone® - Learn a New Language

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions