Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got home today to find out the motor on my water well pump has burnt out. Yay.

Guy comes in the morning to give me an estimate. So we are waterless til its replaced. Everyone had to go to the in laws to shower.
We've contemplated adding a manual pump on a side-line. It would be enough to fill the pressure tank in a power outage (or if the main pump broke) for small usage.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
We've contemplated adding a manual pump on a side-line. It would be enough to fill the pressure tank in a power outage (or if the main pump broke) for small usage.
I think we should. Being without running water reminds me of life in Ukraine, which is depressing.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wouldn’t have done me any good. The jet and foot valve was bad and had to be replaced.

Pump ended up being fine and just tripped.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't CARE if it is not good for me.... those onion rings were delicious and AWESOME!!!!!
tenor.gif

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Made nacho burgers for dinner yesterday. Older kids came over for dinner and that was the special request.

I think I'm going to smoke some pork ribs this weekend.

Question for the group. I know we have a lot of great cooks around here. My wife has offered to buy me a new kitchen knife... anything I want. I have pretty good knives, but I've always wanted one really high quality chef's knife. I generally use one knife for just about everything, so I'm focusing on an all-around chef's knife. So, what do you guys think? Western made, like the Wusthof Ikon Or a Japanese made gyutou, like this Korin Inox.

Ultimately, I'll go down and see how they feel in a shop, but I'm just curious whether anyone around here has a preference.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Made nacho burgers for dinner yesterday. Older kids came over for dinner and that was the special request.

I think I'm going to smoke some pork ribs this weekend.

Question for the group. I know we have a lot of great cooks around here. My wife has offered to buy me a new kitchen knife... anything I want. I have pretty good knives, but I've always wanted one really high quality chef's knife. I generally use one knife for just about everything, so I'm focusing on an all-around chef's knife. So, what do you guys think? Western made, like the Wusthof Ikon Or a Japanese made gyutou, like this Korin Inox.

Ultimately, I'll go down and see how they feel in a shop, but I'm just curious whether anyone around here has a preference.
I treat kitchen knives the same way I treat wine. I don't care how much it costs - I only care how good it feels. We have a couple of knives we picked up at Ingles on a whim, while grocery shopping. They cost - what? - probably $10 - 15. But they are great knives. I suppose it would be fun to have a set of beautiful, Damask steel knives that cost as much as a car, but presently? If it works - it works.

The one thing I have to remind myself is to never. Ever. use the serrated knife when cutting really juicy onions - like Italian red sweet for instance. They tend to spray even when cut with a regular blade, but when approached with a serrated knife they turn into veritable fountains of onion juice.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I treat kitchen knives the same way I treat wine. I don't care how much it costs - I only care how good it feels. We have a couple of knives we picked up at Ingles on a whim, while grocery shopping. They cost - what? - probably $10 - 15. But they are great knives. I suppose it would be fun to have a set of beautiful, Damask steel knives that cost as much as a car, but presently? If it works - it works.

The one thing I have to remind myself is to never. Ever. use the serrated knife when cutting really juicy onions - like Italian red sweet for instance. They tend to spray even when cut with a regular blade, but when approached with a serrated knife they turn into veritable fountains of onion juice.
Yeah, I'm not overly worried about the price one way or the other. Less expensive knives tend to be stamped and not forged, and don't generally get as sharp or stay sharp. I'm also less concerned with how they look, as how they feel and perform. But if it looks nice, all the better. :)

The Japanese knives, as best as I can tell, tend to be lighter than the western style chef's knives.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not overly worried about the price one way or the other. Less expensive knives tend to be stamped and not forged, and don't generally get as sharp or stay sharp. I'm also less concerned with how they look, as how they feel and perform. But if it looks nice, all the better. :)

The Japanese knives, as best as I can tell, tend to be lighter than the western style chef's knives.
A good, light Japanese knife is nice when you need a lighter touch - like thin slicing, or when you are dealing with one of those recipes dealing in (and alternating between) obscure and confusing terms such as "mince", "finely chop", "crumble", and "crush". It's a lot easier to mince and finely chop with a finer, thinner, sharper blade than with a meat cleaver. ;)

I also love me a god paring knife that can withstand the bone-to-meat pressure.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A good, light Japanese knife is nice when you need a lighter touch - like thin slicing, or when you are dealing with one of those recipes dealing in (and alternating between) obscure and confusing terms such as "mince", "finely chop", "crumble", and "crush". It's a lot easier to mince and finely chop with a finer, thinner, sharper blade than with a meat cleaver. ;)
I don't think I really mince anything... I mostly stop at chop. If you're being generous, you might call it a fine chop. :D
I also love me a god paring knife that can withstand the bone-to-meat pressure.
I try to stay away from god knives in general. ;) Seriously, though, I only use the paring knife to peel apples or potatoes. I've never thought of using it for meat.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think I really mince anything... I mostly stop at chop. If you're being generous, you might call it a fine chop. :DI try to stay away from god knives in general. ;) Seriously, though, I only use the paring knife to peel apples or potatoes. I've never thought of using it for meat.
Argh... typos.... One of these days they will be the end of me. :)

That's actually what paring knives are for - they are for... well paring. Like when you prep the rack of ribs.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Argh... typos.... One of these days they will be the end of me. :)

That's actually what paring knives are for - they are for... well paring. Like when you prep the rack of ribs.
I hope your typos don't go away. I get a kick out of them. Reminds me of when I was learning to type in high school, and would intentionally mess up certain words so that the typing instructor would read profanity. They always included the word "dock" in their samples, for some reason. The "D" and the "C" are right next to each other, as are the "O" and the "I." :D

Regarding paring, I thought paring was a synonym for peeling or stripping off the outside of something. Like paring an apple. Either way, I can't remember the last time I've used more then the three main ones in my drawer: a paring knife for peeling, a bread knife for slicing things (including things like tomatoes, and an 8" chef knife for everything else.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hope your typos don't go away. I get a kick out of them. Reminds me of when I was learning to type in high school, and would intentionally mess up certain words so that the typing instructor would read profanity. They always included the word "dock" in their samples, for some reason. The "D" and the "C" are right next to each other, as are the "O" and the "I." :D

My worst one is "shut the door" vs. "sh*t the door". As you have aptly pointed out - "O" and "I" are right next to one another. I really have to watch out for that one - certain things are just really out of place in a translation of classic Russian literature. Another one is "tears" and "ears". Let's face it - there is a big difference between "burst into tears" and "burst into ears".

Regarding paring, I thought paring was a synonym for peeling or stripping off the outside of something. Like paring an apple. Either way, I can't remember the last time I've used more then the three main ones in my drawer: a paring knife for peeling, a bread knife for slicing things (including things like tomatoes, and an 8" chef knife for everything else.

It is true that paring knife is used for peeling - but it's not all it is used for. Here is absolutely everything you ever need to know about paring knife usage. And then some.

How to Use a Paring Knife | Cook's Illustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.