Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made nacho burgers for dinner yesterday. Older kids came over for dinner and that was the special request.

I think I'm going to smoke some pork ribs this weekend.

Question for the group. I know we have a lot of great cooks around here. My wife has offered to buy me a new kitchen knife... anything I want. I have pretty good knives, but I've always wanted one really high quality chef's knife. I generally use one knife for just about everything, so I'm focusing on an all-around chef's knife. So, what do you guys think? Western made, like the Wusthof Ikon Or a Japanese made gyutou, like this Korin Inox.

Ultimately, I'll go down and see how they feel in a shop, but I'm just curious whether anyone around here has a preference.
I have a standard Western style chef's knife and a santoku style. I reach for the chef's knife more often, but maybe only because it's the heavier of the two and feels better in my hand. The Korin Inox is actually about halfway between the styles I have.

All that said, balance and solid feel seems to matter more to me than the rest. As long as the blade edge is curved for rocking (for fine chopping, etc.), I'm happy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I treat kitchen knives the same way I treat wine. I don't care how much it costs - I only care how good it feels. We have a couple of knives we picked up at Ingles on a whim, while grocery shopping. They cost - what? - probably $10 - 15. But they are great knives. I suppose it would be fun to have a set of beautiful, Damask steel knives that cost as much as a car, but presently? If it works - it works.

The one thing I have to remind myself is to never. Ever. use the serrated knife when cutting really juicy onions - like Italian red sweet for instance. They tend to spray even when cut with a regular blade, but when approached with a serrated knife they turn into veritable fountains of onion juice.
While I like our present knives, a better steel would probably feel better, hold a better edge, etc.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope your typos don't go away. I get a kick out of them. Reminds me of when I was learning to type in high school, and would intentionally mess up certain words so that the typing instructor would read profanity. They always included the word "dock" in their samples, for some reason. The "D" and the "C" are right next to each other, as are the "O" and the "I." :D

Regarding paring, I thought paring was a synonym for peeling or stripping off the outside of something. Like paring an apple. Either way, I can't remember the last time I've used more then the three main ones in my drawer: a paring knife for peeling, a bread knife for slicing things (including things like tomatoes, and an 8" chef knife for everything else.
I've never been sure what knife is "supposed to be" for what task. I use a big knife for everything until it feels too big. Then I reach for a small knife. Paring knives seem somewhere between, so I rarely reach for them.

Maybe I should play golf that way. Couldn't hurt.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Lesson learned - don't start anything 30 minutes before you have to go home.

Had no choice....but luckily I was able to leave and let it run over night and I have all day tomorrow to deal with it.... the user will not be in tomorrow

The CEO use to come to my desk at 15 minutes before quitting time on Fridays and drop of his laptop and say...it hasn't worked all week and I need it for the weekend. Had no choice there either. But another person did that to me once and I was able to say, I'll get it today, but I won't do it again. He came back a couple month later...5 minutes before quitting time and said.... this laptop has not been working right all week and I need it for the weekend" I asked him what did I tell him last time and then said...you should have thought about that on Monday..... and I left...he never did that to me again...and surprisingly..neither did the CEO

Last edited:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had no choice....but luckily I was able to leave and let it run over night and I have all day tomorrow to deal with it.... the user will not be in tomorrow

The CEO use to come to my desk at 15 minutes before quitting time on Fridays and drop of his laptop and say...it hasn't worked all week and I need it for the weekend. Had no choice there either. But another person did that to me once and I was able to say, I'll get it today, but I won't do it again. He came back a couple month later...5 minutes before quitting time and said.... this laptop has not been working right all week and I need it for the weekend" I asked him what did I tell him last time and then said...you should have thought about that on Monday..... and I left...he never did that to me again...and surprisingly..neither did the CEO
Seriously, I am sorry to hear that. I keep wanting to hang the sign on the door of my office, "Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." But I think it will be frowned upon.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Four loads of laundry completed in an evening. ("Completed" means - washed, dried, folded, and put away.) I dare anyone to match that. I already dared @gpseymour , but, for some reason, this particular challenge doesn't seam to appeal to his competitive streak. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Four loads of laundry completed in an evening. ("Completed" means - washed, dried, folded, and put away.) I dare anyone to match that. I already dared @gpseymour , but, for some reason, this particular challenge doesn't seam to appeal to his competitive streak. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
I don’t mind doing laundry. It’s putting laundry away that gets on my nerves.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t have done me any good. The jet and foot valve was bad and had to be replaced.

Pump ended up being fine and just tripped.
Glad to hear it was a simpler fix than a new pump...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have another headache today....I am beginning to believe that head-butting the replica of a Navajo sweat lodge, when I was t the Grand Canyon west...was not such a good idea

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
That doesn’t look like my kind of book, based on the reviews.
It's certainly not everyone's kind of fare. I loved it - but I like a lot of weird stuff.

Don't get too hung up on reviews, though - I had someone give me a bad review once, because they couldn't finish reading the book I published, complaining it was "too historical". The book was published in "historic fiction" category. And the blurb said it was a historic novel set in the era of rise and fall of Alexander the Great. And the book stats listed how many pages it had. So... there you have it - so much for reviews. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions