Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Raw... SUCKS. I always find that it feels colder when the temps in the mid 30s to low 40s, with humidity, than when the temps are in the teens and 20s...

I find it really difficult to describe "raw" (as a weather condition) to folks who haven't experienced it. But, oh yeah, bro, it sucks so bad. And in a different way than deep cold. Not as dangerous, but more uncomfortable.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find it really difficult to describe "raw" (as a weather condition) to folks who haven't experienced it. But, oh yeah, bro, it sucks so bad. And in a different way than deep cold. Not as dangerous, but more uncomfortable.
I guess you know it when you're in it....

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im stuck waiting for a band christmas play because my younger sister is involved and I dont want my mother calling me and giving a 45 min. Lecture. Well... atleast the sun is shining!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're in the midst of a storm as well. Going to be a damp day.

original-50258da2f4eabd6fb1c00db6d8876a63.jpg

I'ts barely breaking seventy degrees right now. Oh, the humanity!
I'm visiting family this weekend. No storms here in Florida, but the high never even got above 75 today.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
3 inches of wet snow...... 1.5 hours in my driveway this morning...... it was 20F when I started and now it is 37F so everything is now melting...and it is suppose to rain...then the temp drops again into the mid 20s so....everything is going to freeze.......

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually....there's snow on the Big Island every winter.

Hawaii's Big Island Peaks See Heavy Early December Snow

But, here on Maui, Haleakala volcano (my favorite spot on earth) gets snow about once every ten years. The last time I saw it was in 03.

original-a91e46bf3d3e3c10b85982c295d11e62.jpg

The coolest part about it is - everyone takes their young kids up the mountain when that happens, because the kids have only seen snow on TV. It's a traffic jam going up the mountain. We go up to watch the kids make and throw their first snowballs, make their first snowmen. Their laughter and the look on their faces is wonderfully sweet.
I love Maui. I want to live there. What does the job market look like?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love Maui. I want to live there. What does the job market look like?

I guess it would be specific to what a person does.
Unfortunately, the relative pay for most jobs/careers/gigs is lower on Maui (or any place in Hawaii) than most places on the mainland, and the cost of living is either equal to the most expensive places in the U.S, or higher. But that's relative as well. People from the south usually go into sticker shock. But coming from Boston, it's not too different. More expensive for sure, but not shockingly so.

However, that's not to say there aren't opportunities to take advantage of....if you're lucky, and have enough of a grubstake to hold you over until you find something, or develop something on your own. Most people work several jobs, which is more of a young man's game, and if you have kids, it's especially difficult. I have no idea how anyone can do it with kids.

That being said, a close friend of mine has been a landscaper here for thirty years. We affectionately refer to him as the Marquis De Sod - he clears way over a hundred K a year. (works his butt off, though) But he's built his career from the ground up. Another guy I know rents bicycles, has been for twenty five years. I hate to even type this because it irritates me, he's a very irritating man - he makes over one million dollars a year. And has been for twenty years. (I know that sounds bizarre, but, unfortunately, it's true)

Over the last forty years, more people move here than to any other state. And, conversely, more people move out of here than from any other state as well. The "idea" of living here is more attractive than the actual living itself. It's the same exact bullcrap in life as everywhere else, it just costs more. What usually happens is - people vacation here and fall in love with the place. But what they fall in love with is the vacation, not the place.

That being said - it's pretty fricken awesome. It's chill, slower, low key, nice weather and the people are friendlier, at least superficially, than any place I've ever been. Television leaves much to be desired, though. It's really odd.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the relative pay for most jobs/careers/gigs is lower on Maui (or any place in Hawaii) than most places on the mainland, and the cost of living is either equal to the most expensive places in the U.S, or higher. But that's relative as well. People from the south usually go into sticker shock. But coming from Boston, it's not too different. More expensive for sure, but not shockingly so.

However, that's not to say there aren't opportunities to take advantage of....if you're lucky, and have enough of a grubstake to hold you over until you find something, or develop something on your own. Most people work several jobs, which is more of a young man's game, and if you have kids, it's especially difficult. I have no idea how anyone can do it with kids.

That being said, a close friend of mine has been a landscaper here for thirty years. We affectionately refer to him as the Marquis De Sod - he clears way over a hundred K a year. (works his butt off, though) But he's built his career from the ground up. Another guy I know rents bicycles, has been for twenty five years. I hate to even type this because it irritates me, he's a very irritating man - he makes over one million dollars a year. And has been for twenty years. (I know that sounds bizarre, but, unfortunately, it's true)

Over the last forty years, more people move here than to any other state. And, conversely, more people move out of here than from any other state as well. The "idea" of living here is more attractive than the actual living itself. It's the same exact bullcrap in life as everywhere else, it just costs more. What usually happens is - people vacation here and fall in love with the place. But what they fall in love with is the vacation, not the place.

That being said - it's pretty fricken awesome. It's chill, slower, low key, nice weather and the people are friendlier, at least superficially, than any place I've ever been. Television leaves much to be desired, though. It's really odd.

My ex-brother-in-law use to live and work on Maui, but he was the controller for one of the hotel chains and he was making pretty good money and he liked Maui...well...he thought he did. He never saw much of Maui, his life was between the hotel and the golf course and that was all he wanted.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Well, as for the cost of living, I am in the San Francisco area so I probably know more about those issues than anyone. Perhaps I'll get in touch, the next time we vacation there. We do love it there.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, as for the cost of living, I am in the San Francisco area so I probably know more about those issues than anyone. Perhaps I'll get in touch, the next time we vacation there. We do love it there.

Cost of living wise, Frisco to Hawaii is pretty much a lateral move. Renting a place might actually be cheaper here.

Yeah, bro, give me a shout next time you're on Maui!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cold here, too. I had to put on a hat.

original-f9a18fbe4ee97e2778e2b92d58e68316.jpg

I know, I know, I suck. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's 52F here. I may have to go get in the hot tub to warm up...

Status
Not open for further replies.