Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cold here, too. I had to put on a hat.

original-f9a18fbe4ee97e2778e2b92d58e68316.jpg

I know, I know, I suck. :)
Yeah, poor fella, all huddled around that fire trying to stay warm...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess it would be specific to what a person does.
Unfortunately, the relative pay for most jobs/careers/gigs is lower on Maui (or any place in Hawaii) than most places on the mainland, and the cost of living is either equal to the most expensive places in the U.S, or higher. But that's relative as well. People from the south usually go into sticker shock. But coming from Boston, it's not too different. More expensive for sure, but not shockingly so.

However, that's not to say there aren't opportunities to take advantage of....if you're lucky, and have enough of a grubstake to hold you over until you find something, or develop something on your own. Most people work several jobs, which is more of a young man's game, and if you have kids, it's especially difficult. I have no idea how anyone can do it with kids.

That being said, a close friend of mine has been a landscaper here for thirty years. We affectionately refer to him as the Marquis De Sod - he clears way over a hundred K a year. (works his butt off, though) But he's built his career from the ground up. Another guy I know rents bicycles, has been for twenty five years. I hate to even type this because it irritates me, he's a very irritating man - he makes over one million dollars a year. And has been for twenty years. (I know that sounds bizarre, but, unfortunately, it's true)

Over the last forty years, more people move here than to any other state. And, conversely, more people move out of here than from any other state as well. The "idea" of living here is more attractive than the actual living itself. It's the same exact bullcrap in life as everywhere else, it just costs more. What usually happens is - people vacation here and fall in love with the place. But what they fall in love with is the vacation, not the place.

That being said - it's pretty fricken awesome. It's chill, slower, low key, nice weather and the people are friendlier, at least superficially, than any place I've ever been. Television leaves much to be desired, though. It's really odd.

Yeah same here pretty much.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Take it easy. It's brutal in some places. Been colder here than usual. But not too bad.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the new heart for Loki is coming together.
The heads are ported and assembled, the lumpy cam is in and the engine is all assembled. The blower has been test mounted, but removed till after the engine is in the car. Transmission out to get the LS7 clutch assembly mounted, but it's leaking a little. Might as well replace the seals now, rather than pull it out again later.
With any luck, I expect to get it on the dyno and tune it next week.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the new heart for Loki is coming together.
The heads are ported and assembled, the lumpy cam is in and the engine is all assembled. The blower has been test mounted, but removed till after the engine is in the car. Transmission out to get the LS7 clutch assembly mounted, but it's leaking a little. Might as well replace the seals now, rather than pull it out again later.
With any luck, I expect to get it on the dyno and tune it next week.
When I started reading this, I forgot what Loki is in this context. Working on half a cup of coffee, my brain said, "I didn't know Dirty Dog was into Marvel comics. Wait, why is he posting a play-by-play from some issue he's reading?"

More coffee. Must have more coffee.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nothing wakes people up quite like a hot towel straight to the face... especially if they aren't expecting it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
All week the weather people on TV have been saying it would start snowing late Friday and there would be a total of about 2 to 4 inches and then it would warm up to the forties and rain so all the snow would melt. And Sunday, would be in the high 30s.....today they are saying they are saying it will snow most of the day for a total of 6 to 8 inches and then change over to rain and freezing rain tonight and it will be cold, low 30s all day Sunday....now I have no problem with the mistake...what I have taken issue with is they are all now saying that this is exactly what they are been telling us we would get all week........

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's 5F right now, and snowing like crazy. We were supposed to go see one of the granddaughters in the Nutcracker today, but it's 110 miles each way. Snowing harder there than it is here, and -4F. Traffic is crawling on the CDOT cams. I am not optimistic.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warm (for the season) and wet here. Still haven't been able to put up the Christmas lights on the deck. If they don't go up today, they don't go up.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Feeling my cruiser rock in the wind and wztching the temperature drop like a stone, I think the cold front has arrived.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After sending that photo to my friends back east, Karma bit me right on the backside. It's cold here, rainy, I have on flannel lined jeans, a wool hat and hooded sweatshirt. Power has been out all day- no coffee, no stove, no damn football.
That'll teach me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions