Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I agree with you guys. But Sue thinks 100F is comfortably warm.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was out in 100F at Sea World in San Diego once.... it is basically a parking lot with fish tanks in it. That is when I realized dry heat is scary..... been in a bit over 100 in the Northeast, that is incredibly uncomfortable
We had a taste of dry heat while hiking in Wyoming one summer. We carried camelback water pouches and kept sipping all the time, and STILL felt dehydrated. It didn't matter how much you sweated - the sweat evaporated instantly.

At Inspiration Point, we wore hats, long pants and long-sleeve shirts to protect as much skin from the sun as possible - and there were people there hiking in tank tops and shorts. I thought they were crazy - they were going to get scorched to a crisp.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We had a taste of dry heat while hiking in Wyoming one summer. We carried camelback water pouches and kept sipping all the time, and STILL felt dehydrated. It didn't matter how much you sweated - the sweat evaporated instantly.

At Inspiration Point, we wore hats, long pants and long-sleeve shirts to protect as much skin from the sun as possible - and there were people there hiking in tank tops and shorts. I thought they were crazy - they were going to get scorched to a crisp.
well, in the desert, folks cover up, not only to protect the skin but also to conserve moisture.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know you will all think me a thankless brat, but I am quite depressed due to the absence of snow. I've always had snow for my birthday growing up, and the kids I invited over had snowball fights - it was such fun. I miss it. :(

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know you will all think me a thankless brat, but I am quite depressed due to the absence of snow. I've always had snow for my birthday growing up, and the kids I invited over had snowball fights - it was such fun. I miss it. :(
Global warming....
in what month is your birthday?
(mine was always during summer break, never really had a birthday party...)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But what if your horse has a name?

If our horse with no name, indeed did have a name.....the very Zen of that situation suggests that his name be Koan.

You know, we might have to rewrite a follow up version and call it Koan's song. And somewhere in that song should be the word giddyup.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Global warming....
in what month is your birthday?
(mine was always during summer break, never really had a birthday party...)
This month. The day after tomorrow. In Ukrainian language, the month of February is called "Savage" - and for a good reason. That's when, in addition to cold and wind, we would get snow. Not so much here in the mountains of NC, where it's 70 degrees and windows open.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
If our horse with no name, indeed did have a name.....the very Zen of that situation suggests that his name be Koan.

You know, we might have to rewrite a follow up version and call it Koan's song. And somewhere in that song should be the word giddyup.
fat_zen_horse_by_sushiprincess.jpg

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You really gotta love that 100F degree weather. Nice sunshine, a dash of humidity here and there and none of that pesky wind blowing either. A perfect time to build that shed you've been talking about. During the summer I used to go to my grandpa's house and move tree branches. Since he owned a lot of land there was a lot of tree branches.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw Early Man at the theaters yesterday. It was a very enjoyable movie, but it was more geared towards kids than I was expecting. Still a good movie and had a great message on teamwork and sportsmanship.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Summer in San Antonio, in BDUs weed whacking the grass on and around the igloos in the bomb dump was the worst thing I've ever done. Wearing clunky hearing protection, goggles and using a big weed whacker attached to a harness, while having a terrible allergy attack in 100+F temps with about 90% humidity.

Still better than being a cop, @Buka ... ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Summer in San Antonio, in BDUs weed whacking the grass on and around the igloos in the bomb dump was the worst thing I've ever done. Wearing clunky hearing protection, goggles and using a big weed whacker attached to a harness, while having a terrible allergy attack in 100+F temps with about 90% humidity.

Dude, what you describe is bad enough as it is....but an allergy attack under those circumstances? Oh, man, that had to be just plain awful.

Those are the kind of things that make us hope there really isn't a heaven and hell. For if you end up in the later, and Beelzebub says, "Hey, Steve, remember that day weed whacking in San Antonio...and remember the movie Ground Hog day? Have I got a game for you, newbie."

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

Minus the weed whacker - that's almost what it was like working at the food manufacturing facility, regardless of the season. It was fun, but SOOOO hot and messy. Like a giant kitchen. Stuff spraying everywhere, machines, noise, forklifts, ingredient pallettes - just crazy.

I remember, my first day on the job was marked by a batch of chocolate fudge overflowing - that was pretty epic. And then there was that other time, when the container filler broke and had to be stopped while we were pumping fat free caramel. Caramel solidified in the lines (fat free anything is the devil, by the way) - so, when we restarted, it caused one of those big, stainless steel Wakesha pumps to explode into pieces. Then the whole place became like a kitchen during war time - with shrapnel flying. No one got hurt. Good times.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was 14 or 15, I got a job at a cinder block factory. It was good, in that it paid well (for a kid...) and I could go in anytime I wanted, day or night, whatever.
Cinder blocks are cast and then put in steam tunnels to dry at the proper rate. My job was to drag the racks out with a forklift and then take the blocks/pavers/whatever off the rack, "cube" them on pallets and then (back to the forklift) stack the loaded pallets till they were shipped. Winters were bipolar, going from Colorado cold to the steam tunnels. Summer was... unpleasant.... between the 90F sun and the 100% humidity of the tunnels and the physical labor. It was good conditioning, though.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
worst I ever did was loading hay and straw.
and being the noob, I took the bales off the press and handed them to the person setting them on the trailer....
Straw sticks you to death, hay bales were different sizes (old equipment) and could be nearly as heavy as I was - 116 soaking wet at that time....
naturally dry heat though...

Fondly remember that one day, I just got back from the trail, and saw them in the field, waiting for the third man (not the movie - one driving the tractor, one taking the bales, the other s5tacking them). So I stopped by, 'hey, let me put up the horse, I come and help....'
By the time I got back, the guy had arrived, and I was off the hook! :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

At Disneyland with the kids about 4 or 5 years ago... it was a very sunny day. At the end of the day I saw this young guy walk by and my first thought was what a strange shirt.....it was not a shirt...he had on a white tank top and his shoulders, arms, neck and head...he had a shaved head...were a real deep red.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At Disneyland with the kids about 4 or 5 years ago... it was a very sunny day. At the end of the day I saw this young guy walk by and my first thought was what a strange shirt.....it was not a shirt...he had on a white tank top and his shoulders, arms, neck and head...he had a shaved head...were a real deep red.
he came from Hawaii
6359567518054644091291036483_lilo-stitch-disneyscreencaps.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Dude, what you describe is bad enough as it is....but an allergy attack under those circumstances? Oh, man, that had to be just plain awful.

Those are the kind of things that make us hope there really isn't a heaven and hell. For if you end up in the later, and Beelzebub says, "Hey, Steve, remember that day weed whacking in San Antonio...and remember the movie Ground Hog day? Have I got a game for you, newbie."
I was like a giant, sweaty, puffy eyed, snot bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions