Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Grand Canyon West Rim...is awe inspiring....but there are no railings or barriers between you and falling off the edge into the canyon.... and there are a lot of folks there that appear to be bucking for a Darwin award.

I am fairly certain if I did not put my hand on the back of one Chinese tourist backing up..... towards the edge.....to get a picture of his family..... that he would have walked backwards right off the edge.....and he is just one example of the many I saw doing rather idiotic things in the name of social media.

Happened here
edfb38c178fcfc6d75d940688759e7bf--grand-canyon-west-rim-coach-tours.jpg

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am fairly certain if I did not put my hand on the back of one Chinese tourist backing up..... towards the edge.....to get a picture of his family..... that he would have walked backwards right off the edge

You missed a great selfie opportunity with that....just saying.....how many people get a shot of taking a selfie with a guy falling off a canyon in the background.....#YOLO. ;)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grand Canyon West Rim...is awe inspiring....but there are no railings or barriers between you and falling off the edge into the canyon.... and there are a lot of folks there that appear to be bucking for a Darwin award.

I am fairly certain if I did not put my hand on the back of one Chinese tourist backing up..... towards the edge.....to get a picture of his family..... that he would have walked backwards right off the edge.....and he is just one example of the many I saw doing rather idiotic things in the name of social media.

Happened here
Oh, that is a lovely photo.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen the Seinfeld episode where Elaine doesn't like the English Patient but everyone else does? If so, I'm the Elaine of Annihilation.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Happened here
But he would have a great shot of the family, as he fell away...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
returned to my total vegetarian ways and have maintained it for 5 days. The week prior to that I was almost vegetarian.... and I do not doubt that I will on occasion have meat again...can't resist it in a good Chinese Restaurant. But so far I feel great and have lost 3 pounds without even trying.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
returned to my total vegetarian ways and have maintained it for 5 days. The week prior to that I was almost vegetarian.... and I do not doubt that I will on occasion have meat again...can't resist it in a good Chinese Restaurant. But so far I feel great and have lost 3 pounds without even trying.
Just a thought about occasional meat-eating. It turns out that's pretty hard on your system, because you lose the gut bacteria that help break down meat proteins. IIRC red meat is a bit worse than white meat in that way. Doesn't mean you can't eat it, but it does perhaps explain why many vegetarians who occasionally eat meat feel worse physically after doing so. I've forgotten how far you have to go between consumption for the meat-oriented bacteria to die off.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just a thought about occasional meat-eating. It turns out that's pretty hard on your system, because you lose the gut bacteria that help break down meat proteins. IIRC red meat is a bit worse than white meat in that way. Doesn't mean you can't eat it, but it does perhaps explain why many vegetarians who occasionally eat meat feel worse physically after doing so. I've forgotten how far you have to go between consumption for the meat-oriented bacteria to die off.

Thanks, been here before. I don't eat red meat, haven't for years now, and the few times I do would be in a "Good" Chinese restaurant and it has either been steamed or boiled.

Even before I went vegetarian the last time I was not eating red meat and it would make be feel ill...got a craving for a McDonald's Hamburger once and gave in.... that was the last time I ever did that...or got a craving for anything McDonalds.

Never had an issue with Chicken or fish when I was vegetarian the last time and I was vegetarian when I went to Norway and I had a lot of excellent fish there with no problems at all. Also never had an issue with most Chinese dishes if they are well made. But even then there are a few I avoid and I only eat a little bit of that. Got carried away with an incredibly tasty fried pork dish once and paid for that later... for a few hours....ok it was over 24 hours before the stomach felt normal again.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, been here before. I don't eat red meat, haven't for years now, and the few times I do would be in a "Good" Chinese restaurant and it has either been steamed or boiled.

Even before I went vegetarian the last time I was not eating red meat and it would make be feel ill...got a craving for a McDonald's Hamburger once and gave in.... that was the last time I ever did that...or got a craving for anything McDonalds.

Never had an issue with Chicken or fish when I was vegetarian the last time and I was vegetarian when I went to Norway and I had a lot of excellent fish there with no problems at all. Also never had an issue with most Chinese dishes if they are well made. But even then there are a few I avoid and I only eat a little bit of that. Got carried away with an incredibly tasty fried pork dish once and paid for that later... for a few hours....ok it was over 24 hours before the stomach felt normal again.
And now you know why. The suggestion I read - though the suggestion wasn't based on testing, just on current understanding - was that if you want to splurge, eat some in small quantities for a while in preparation. I seem to recall the gut bacteria for white meat and fish take longer to die out, so occasional splurges may be enough.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Vegetarians I know seem to be quite healthy and don't seem to have a lot of gut issues.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vegetarians I know seem to be quite healthy and don't seem to have a lot of gut issues.
They wouldn't unless they went back to eating meat (excepting folks like those individuals who can't process plant proteins well enough). Those bacteria aren't necessary except in the processing of meat - they die off because they aren't getting what they need.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen the Seinfeld episode where Elaine doesn't like the English Patient but everyone else does? If so, I'm the Elaine of Annihilation.
I have seen that episode and bristled, because I do love The English Patient. But then... I must remind myself movies are art, and art is subjective. I also happened to like AI, and most people I've met hated it. :)

I've read good things about Annihilation and would like to see it. The visuals look stunning. And I like brainy apocalyptic sci fi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions