Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't help myself. It's just the way it is. There are times when I have to look up old accounts, and the message pops up the patient had passed away, and then I find out he passed away in our ER, from a massive coronary, after the team fought for him for like 28 hours straight - and it just guts me.
I work on a floor where we get everything, the equivalent of an ingrown toenail, to active TB, a gall bladder here, some MRSA there, now of course we are wall to wall Flu....
And we never have a month without a few 'comfort care' patients, AKA hospice. They are not going home.
Most are just old, it's there time, but a little sad.
Some get to me.
Like that old dude with the big airborne tattoo on his shoulder. Once he was a a bada** mother...Vietnam vet...
Then again. the codes are rough...the ones that are not supposed to go yet...

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I work on a floor where we get everything, the equivalent of an ingrown toenail, to active TB, a gall bladder here, some MRSA there, now of course we are wall to wall Flu....
And we never have a month without a few 'comfort care' patients, AKA hospice. They are not going home.
Most are just old, it's there time, but a little sad.
Some get to me.
Like that old dude with the big airborne tattoo on his shoulder. Once he was a a bada** mother...Vietnam vet...
Then again. the codes are rough...the ones that are not supposed to go yet...
That's why I am in total awe of people who actually work at the hospital. It's unimaginable what you have to go through every day.

I got some hands-on experience back in Ukraine when my mom was sick - and I am still in awe. See, there was never enough nurses and cleaning staff, so friends and family of the patients, including underage children (I was 12 - 13 at the time), were encouraged to come and help out. Mom was in the cancer ward - and it was next door to the burn unit. So, I got to wash floors, roll bandages, help during bandage changes, serving meals, distributing meds, etc. This proved very helpful when we brought mom home - she basically had enough hospital and demanded to let her die at home. So, after helping out at the hospital, learning how to sterilize the syringe and give her injections wasn't a stretch. And all the other stuff you have to do for a bedridden patient.

So, to this day, I think people who have to do that for total strangers and for a living should have a six-digit salary and free groceries for life.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, I could not be a nurse.
I can be all smiley face for 5 minutes, but staying there for 12 hours....eventually I would lay the law down on people....probably get fired....
Or the nurse techs, the ladies who wipe the butts and make the beds....ah, nope....not until a close family member needs it!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah, I could not be a nurse.
I can be all smiley face for 5 minutes, but staying there for 12 hours....eventually I would lay the law down on people....probably get fired....
Or the nurse techs, the ladies who wipe the butts and make the beds....ah, nope....not until a close family member needs it!
It's hard even for a family member.

And yeah, those shifts are RIDICULOUS! No wonder we have nurse and provider shortage.

We were doing some coding software UAT and training in December, and our coders in India had to stay over after their shift to train. So, I said I felt bad for them because by the time we were done testing and training they will have been going for 12 hours. And my intermediate manager said, "So? Nurses and doctors do it all the time!" And I was like... just because it's commonplace doesn't make it right - it's ridiculous.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really wish our little dog wouldn't howl so hard while we watch Celtic Woman. I get it that he does it because he enjoys it too, but he is never on key, and it rather detracts from the experience.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
his a celtic pup!
Hmmm... no. He's a German pup. He is a miniature Dachshund.
14702392_1222400001115096_219481924881195774_n.jpg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
WHY am I still the only style icon on Polyvore designing for both men and women? Boys deserve to have an idea source too when they want to look nice.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice day today. The rain finally stopped. Was supposed to re-qualify at the range this morning, but it's been postponed. The range is a deep sea of thick, sticky mud.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice day today. The rain finally stopped. Was supposed to re-qualify at the range this morning, but it's been postponed. The range is a deep sea of thick, sticky mud.
At least yours stopped. After 2 months straight I'm getting set to build an ark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions