Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
There will be no padded suits. You take those bruises and wear them with pride
True... A few years ago I came to work with a black eye - a badly timed headlock release <don't ask>. Granted, it was a very elegant black eye - like women's makeup in Egyptian frescoes, like Cleopatra. Anyway, people at work asked me what happened, and I explained, and many - men and women - said they would have taken time off until the bruise went away.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
True... A few years ago I came to work with a black eye - a badly timed headlock release <don't ask>. Granted, it was a very elegant black eye - like women's makeup in Egyptian frescoes, like Cleopatra. Anyway, people at work asked me what happened, and I explained, and many - men and women - said they would have taken time off until the bruise went away.

We are looking to get frequent flyer points at the local hospital.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Had lunch with a friend the other day and asked what he thought about the Last Jedi. He ranted for 20 minutes straight about how "awful" it was. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so emotional over a movie before :eek:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had lunch with a friend the other day and asked what he thought about the Last Jedi. He ranted for 20 minutes straight about how "awful" it was. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so emotional over a movie before :eek:
I still don't get why people are so upset. I thought it was great and well within the Star Wars tradition.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I still don't get why people are so upset. I thought it was great and well within the Star Wars tradition.
I don't know about "people" but I can tell you three things I just can't seem to let slide. It's not Star Wars issues I have, though. I don't have any problems with how Luke was portrayed or anything like that. My problems are all related to very, very sloppy writing.

1: ships don't run out of gas in space. This wouldn't be a big deal, really, if it weren't essential to the plot. The entire story is grounded in the idea that these ships are blasting through space using fuel like trucks on a freeway.

2: Poe Dameron starts the movie as an insubordinate, loose cannon and then his story arc is mutiny, where he literally takes command of the remaining rebel fleet at gun point. In any military organization, he and everyone else involved in the mutiny would have been summarily executed for his actions. There wouldn't be any discussion of how great he is. That's just ridiculous. The only good that can come of this is if Poe leaves the rebellion (because at the very least, he's demonstrated that he is entirely unsuited for any military organization) and he becomes a true anti-hero, helping the rebellion from the outside. But they won't do that. He's going to be the next general, for pete's sake.

3: They killed the only real villain in the movie. I am not hung up on Kylo Ren's whining. I think it's a great character. But not all that menacing, really. And General Hux, the other potential villain, has been turned into bumbling, comic relief. So, Episode 9... who's the bad guy? A movie is only as good as its villain. This series doesn't really have one.

Oh, and good morning everyone. I hope you're all well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about "people" but I can tell you three things I just can't seem to let slide. It's not Star Wars issues I have, though. I don't have any problems with how Luke was portrayed or anything like that. My problems are all related to very, very sloppy writing.

Hey, Steve - good to see you prowling about. I refuse to read all the spoiler stuff since I haven't seen the movie (though I'd probably forget it all before I got around to seeing it), but I assume it's all well-reasoned and I disagree with it. :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oldest spent a week with a friend
Calls me at 12:00 and says, ok, I'm heading home now, see you at 2:00
We hang up....that is when it hits me...his friends house is 4 hours away....

As for Star Wars and going to a theater and paying to see it.....they lost me at Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace..... I'll wait for it to come out on DVD and see it then

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Watched Darkest Hour last night, the Gary Oldman Winston Churchill biopic.
Too much world history to cram into a couple hours. Well done, though, but slow.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had that thought yesterday. Feeling hale and hearty today, so here's hoping you follow the same path.

yeah, but I work in the hospital,
'Oh, how long does a flu test take?'
"not very long, why?"
'Not much, just because I've been in and out of those rooms yesterday all day, and today they under isolation?'
Not one, but two....just yesterday....
Threatened already, if I get it, I'll be out at least a week.
I love my nurses, but they are not very precise with isolation protocol...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, but I work in the hospital,
'Oh, how long does a flu test take?'
"not very long, why?"
'Not much, just because I've been in and out of those rooms yesterday all day, and today they under isolation?'
Not one, but two....just yesterday....
Threatened already, if I get it, I'll be out at least a week.
I love my nurses, but they are not very precise with isolation protocol...
Ooof...well, here's hoping anyway.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

I agree about the villain. But shoddy science is a Star Wars trademark - as is loose cannon pilots. :)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had that thought yesterday. Feeling hale and hearty today, so here's hoping you follow the same path.
As per usual, you can always be counted on to give it to me. And then it mutates. <grumble, grumble> Shot immune system... <grumble> Chernobyl.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

1: ships don't run out of gas in space. This wouldn't be a big deal, really, if it weren't essential to the plot. The entire story is grounded in the idea that these ships are blasting through space using fuel like trucks on a freeway.

2: Poe Dameron starts the movie as an insubordinate, loose cannon and then his story arc is mutiny, where he literally takes command of the remaining rebel fleet at gun point. In any military organization, he and everyone else involved in the mutiny would have been summarily executed for his actions. There wouldn't be any discussion of how great he is. That's just ridiculous. The only good that can come of this is if Poe leaves the rebellion (because at the very least, he's demonstrated that he is entirely unsuited for any military organization) and he becomes a true anti-hero, helping the rebellion from the outside. But they won't do that. He's going to be the next general, for pete's sake.

3: They killed the only real villain in the movie. I am not hung up on Kylo Ren's whining. I think it's a great character. But not all that menacing, really. And General Hux, the other potential villain, has been turned into bumbling, comic relief. So, Episode 9... who's the bad guy? A movie is only as good as its villain. This series doesn't really have one.

There are legitimate criticisms people have towards the film, myself included. The SW fan base in general is hard to please and like to complain. They complained about the prequels because they were too different from the originals, yet they also complained the the Force Awakens was too similar to A New Hope. I was more so referring to the fans calling it "trash" or "the worst Star wars movie".

Spoilers below

Addressing you criticisms

1. In the Expanded Universe different ships have different sources of energy. Star Destroyers have multiple reactors, but Ghost from Rebels uses fuel. Other Star Wars novels and video games already introduced the concept of starship fuel years ago. Though them slowly out running the First Order seemed silly.

2. I see it from Poe's point of view. Vice Admiral Holdo wasn't informing her officers of the plan to escape the First Order. She was dismissive and condescending to Poe for no apparent reason. Poe had every right to question her and he was well within reason to stage a mutiny thinking she was leading them into to death.

3. I couldn't agree more about General Hux, he came off as imposing, intelligent and ruthless in the Force Awakens. Unfortunately, they changed the overall dynamics of his character just to be force slapped around in The Last Jedi. I liked the direction they took Kylo's character in. Conflicted villains can be interesting, understanding their motivation is a great way to get the audience to empathize with them.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Watched Darkest Hour last night, the Gary Oldman Winston Churchill biopic.
Too much world history to cram into a couple hours. Well done, though, but slow.
That's the tough part about good historic movies and books - figuring out what to keep in and what to leave out, because EVERYTHING is important.

I received a bad review on a translation I published once - the reader's main complaint was she could not finish reading it because it was "too historic". The book was published in the "historic fiction" section of Amazon and the description stated very clearly it was based on the life of Alexander the Great - from his rise to power to his death. Also, the page size and number of pages were clearly indicated - as is the case with all the stuff published on Amazon. <sigh> You just can't please everyone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions