Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the reader's main complaint was she could not finish reading it because it was "too historic".

My guess is her take on Math would be "too many numbers".

May she teach her children well.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the tough part about good historic movies and books - figuring out what to keep in and what to leave out, because EVERYTHING is important.

I received a bad review on a translation I published once - the reader's main complaint was she could not finish reading it because it was "too historic". The book was published in the "historic fiction" section of Amazon and the description stated very clearly it was based on the life of Alexander the Great - from his rise to power to his death. Also, the page size and number of pages were clearly indicated - as is the case with all the stuff published on Amazon. <sigh> You just can't please everyone. :)

And the man only lived to be in his 30s.
Could you imagine her disgust over a Queen Victoria or George Washington Story?!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, but I work in the hospital,
'Oh, how long does a flu test take?'
"not very long, why?"
'Not much, just because I've been in and out of those rooms yesterday all day, and today they under isolation?'
Not one, but two....just yesterday....
Threatened already, if I get it, I'll be out at least a week.
I love my nurses, but they are not very precise with isolation protocol...

Um, what makes you think isolation precautions are really all that effective to begin with?
Especially for something like the flu. If you can breathe through the mask, a virus will pass through it with no real difficulty. N95 masks are effective at stopping BACTERIA, but not viruses. And the common surgical mask? Please. Things like the PAPR hood may have a better chance of filtering out a virus if the elastic is plenty snug, but the filters in them are also designed to stop bacteria, not viruses. The length and curvature of the air tube will help as much as the filter.
The size of a viral particle ranges from 20-400 nanometers. A centimeter is ten million nanometers.
There ARE isolation procedures that are effective. But as they're used in hospitals? Marginal, at best.
Your best bet is a flu vaccine (which I trust you got already...), hand washing, and distance.
It takes about 20-30 minutes for us to get a flu swab resulted, generally speaking.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
when the flu shots where passed out I caught a bug, so I opted to delay, then forgot.
the point though is that they are just not precise enough.
I have a lot of cancer patients on the floor as well, on reverse isolation.
I don't really want to drag a lot into their rooms....but that is a failure on the part of the hospital.
A catch all floor, you bound to catch it all.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
My guess is her take on Math would be "too many numbers".

May she teach her children well.
Quite possibly. Sadly, she is not alone. I routinely publish science fiction - both my own and translated. And there are always some who complain... wait for it... wait for it... that it's "too scientific".

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Quite possibly. Sadly, she is not alone. I routinely publish science fiction - both my own and translated. And there are always some who complain... wait for it... wait for it... that it's "too scientific".
fantasy would be their genre then

Where do you publish though?

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
And the man only lived to be in his 30s.
Could you imagine her disgust over a Queen Victoria or George Washington Story?!
Last year I translated and published a biography of Chopin - he died young too, but it was a BIG thick book. I suppose people will complain about it as well.

Yes, theoretically, I suppose I can imagine how someone like that would freak out over a REALLY long biography. :) But I can't relate. Then again, I re-read War and Peace regularly for fun and translate obscure works of Russian and Ukrainian literature in my spare time. And we all know Russians are flipping verbose.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
fantasy would be their genre then

Where do you publish though?
Amazon is my primary channel. I used to also publish for Nook, but Barnes and Noble gives indie authors zero support and offer no viable strategies. So, I stopped. I focus on Amazon now and publish both in eBook format and in paperback. I also have a small collection on Lulu - for the books I want to offer in hardcover.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the tough part about good historic movies and books - figuring out what to keep in and what to leave out, because EVERYTHING is important.

I received a bad review on a translation I published once - the reader's main complaint was she could not finish reading it because it was "too historic". The book was published in the "historic fiction" section of Amazon and the description stated very clearly it was based on the life of Alexander the Great - from his rise to power to his death. Also, the page size and number of pages were clearly indicated - as is the case with all the stuff published on Amazon. <sigh> You just can't please everyone. :)
Yeah, that complaint is like the people who come to a public seminar titled "MS Excel: The Basics", then later complain, "It was too basic." :SIGH:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
At least some of those folks are complaining about things they weren't (and shouldn't have had to be) told.
I was surprised the people who complained about the color of the sand didn't add, "And WHY didn't anyone tell us the damn sand gets EVERYWHERE?!"

Hey, do you suppose here is a complaint site for mud runs? You know, where people say, "There was too much mud! NOBODY told me there was going to be so much mud!" and "What do you mean I am expected to crawl under things and climb over things? Is this an obstacle course or something? But why were there so many obstacles?" or "Why didn't anyone tell me I wasn't supposed to wear high heels for one of these things?'

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
And make up cool stories to tell your co-workers.
Already did. I got this one from fighting a chainsaw wielding crocodile.
31C2228A00000578-0-image-a-37_1456901374176.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There are legitimate criticisms people have towards the film, myself included. The SW fan base in general is hard to please and like to complain. They complained about the prequels because they were too different from the originals, yet they also complained the the Force Awakens was too similar to A New Hope. I was more so referring to the fans calling it "trash" or "the worst Star wars movie".
Just to be clear, I'm a huge fan of the Star Wars universe, but I'm a bigger fan of good movies that have solid writing and production. I can forgive a lot, though, if it makes sense. The biggest problems with Episode 1 were the rampant racist stereotypes and over-reliance on special effects to the detriment of the film. Oh, and while the first trilogy was grounded in the hero's journey, the prequel trilogy seemed to be grounded in a weird mishmash of C-Span and Fox Business. But that's water under the bridge.

Spoilers below

Addressing you criticisms

1. In the Expanded Universe different ships have different sources of energy. Star Destroyers have multiple reactors, but Ghost from Rebels uses fuel. Other Star Wars novels and video games already introduced the concept of starship fuel years ago. Though them slowly out running the First Order seemed silly.
I don't know if that's canon or not. But it's just not the way space works. While I get that Star Wars physics is more like WWII dogfighting than what real space would look like, this just defies everything we know about how things in space react to simple things like inertia. Gun guys often complain about how "That isn't how that works. No one would do that." Blah, blah. I get it. It's a movie. But this is like having a gun fight scene in a western where the main character is literally holding the gun backwards and upside down. :)
2. I see it from Poe's point of view. Vice Admiral Holdo wasn't informing her officers of the plan to escape the First Order. She was dismissive and condescending to Poe for no apparent reason. Poe had every right to question her and he was well within reason to stage a mutiny thinking she was leading them into to death.
Sure. I get it. But Poe isn't the one in authority. Benedict Arnold was acting as his conscious dictated. And is anyone surprised that when he was found out, he was hung? People don't mutiny or commit treason because they think they have a choice. And, really, no, he didn't have any right to question her. In a military organization, she owed him no explanation. Blame the writers. They wrote him into a situation where there is no reasonable alternative to getting rid of him. In any society I know of, that would have been grounds for execution, but I can see maybe exiling him.
3. I couldn't agree more about General Hux, he came off as imposing, intelligent and ruthless in the Force Awakens. Unfortunately, they changed the overall dynamics of his character just to be force slapped around in The Last Jedi. I liked the direction they took Kylo's character in. Conflicted villains can be interesting, understanding their motivation is a great way to get the audience to empathize with them.
Yeah, but I don't think Kylo is going to remain a villain. He will redeem himself, and then we just get an unsatisfying end. I'm not trying to be a doom and gloom guy. I want these to be good. But they have to get some better writers involved.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
@AngryHobbit Loose cannons are great. Traitors are not. :)

@Buka back in the day, my wife and I bought a laserdisc player because at the time that was the only way to get movies letterboxed, and also the only way to get the directors cut of the Abyss. Totally agree with you that the ending was much better. In fact, the directors cut added some additional footage within the film that made the whole thing make sense. You were like, "Oh, THAT'S what this movie is about!" :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
finished the antibiotic to get rid of my sinusitis Tuesday morning.... it returned today.... looks like I am back to talking to the MD...heck, at least I had 5 full days of not having my ear full of fluid.....

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just noticed the star wars debate on here...have to go back and read that tomorrow.

In other news, I finally saw Billy Joel live. Took way too long, but was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.