Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Buka, I recall you said something about working at the airport. Please, PLEASE tell me you're not working for the TSA.

I'm not, I'm an airport police officer for the Department of Transportation. But, I gotta tell ya, the TSA folks here are sharp. A whole lot sharper than at any other airport I've travelled through since 02.
We get called when they find certain prohibited items - drugs, guns, ammunition, weapons, too much cash - you would be amazed what people try. Or, when someone is being a dick or uncooperative. Or, when someone falls down - from trying to carry eighty pounds of carry on bags (to beat luggage fees) up a long escalator, with flip flops on their feet, half bleep faced from vacation. (I call it Polynesian Paralyses.)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
San Antonio is very nice. Will be nicer when the truck is unloaded and returned to penske.
I missed the reason for the trip, Steve. What are you doing in San Antonio? It's my favorite place in Texas - I love walking the riverwalk.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw a woman back at practice tonight after a 5 year hiatus.. 5 years!
I looked down at my Black Belt with 2 bars and told her, 'you know the
last time you saw me I was a Candidate belt..??' time flies and - hard
to believe - but this December will mark 7 1/2 years of training for me.. :)
I have this experience in reverse when I visit my old school. The shodans now were all nikkyu or so when I left. The senior shodan still calls me "sir" and defers to me - I keep reminding him that at that dojo all the blackbelts outrank me, regardless of my stripes.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I missed the reason for the trip, Steve. What are you doing in San Antonio? It's my favorite place in Texas - I love walking the riverwalk.
Helping my parents move there from Phoenix. The river walk is much nicer than the last time I was here. I've lived in San Antonio twice... three times if you count basic training, but the last time was just before I separated from the Air Force in 1993.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sunday.... everyone is out of the house but me.... this is a very rare occurrence...so as not to waste it...I am logging of now
Sunday...everybody but me stayed home....now they are asleep.....

I think I'ma gonna play some! :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Helping my parents move there from Phoenix. The river walk is much nicer than the last time I was here. I've lived in San Antonio twice... three times if you count basic training, but the last time was just before I separated from the Air Force in 1993.
I was never there before...2013, I think. Is this a return home for them, or an entirely new adventure, just to escape the furnace that calls itself Phoenix?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we are actually under water advisory.
as in 'don't use too much'
Almost feeling guilty over that shower I took tonight. almost....

It has not rained here in weeks...and although we get most of our water from rivers......it's DRY here! (my grass is almost crunchy at this time.)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not, I'm an airport police officer for the Department of Transportation. But, I gotta tell ya, the TSA folks here are sharp. A whole lot sharper than at any other airport I've travelled through since 02.
We get called when they find certain prohibited items - drugs, guns, ammunition, weapons, too much cash - you would be amazed what people try. Or, when someone is being a dick or uncooperative. Or, when someone falls down - from trying to carry eighty pounds of carry on bags (to beat luggage fees) up a long escalator, with flip flops on their feet, half bleep faced from vacation. (I call it Polynesian Paralyses.)

I've flown out of Oahu... while my time in contact with the TSA there wasn't as long as yours, I have to admit I didn't find them any less silly than at other airports.

Ademadis

Green Belt
Reaction score

It has not rained here in weeks...and although we get most of our water from rivers......it's DRY here! (my grass is almost crunchy at this time.)

Have some of our rain, we've got a leaky roof at the moment so we really don't want it ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've flown out of Oahu... while my time in contact with the TSA there wasn't as long as yours, I have to admit I didn't find them any less silly than at other airports.

Flown through there many times, I've not been impressed with them, either. Am with Maui, though.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

We live in the Colorado desert and I have always found the idea of a lawn in the desert ludicrous. There are people out who do have them, but they spend an unreasonable amount of time, money, and water keeping them green.
The portion of our land that would be considered "yard" is xeroscaped. The trees and bushes are native to the climate and require no watering or other mucking about. I did trim a bunch of dead branches from a couple of the trees (aspen and willows) last week, chipped them up and poured them around the same trees as mulch.
The only plant that gets watered is the peach tree. Because peaches!
The rest of the property is left native and chopped down a couple times a year.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Flown through there many times, I've not been impressed with them, either. Am with Maui, though.

I find the entire organization and giant waste of tax money, though, so it's possible my view is slanted.
I've seen people embarrassed, harassed, discriminated against and forced to miss flights by the TSA. Can't say I've seen anyone made any safer by them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
We live in the Colorado desert and I have always found the idea of a lawn in the desert ludicrous. There are people out who do have them, but they spend an unreasonable amount of time, money, and water keeping them green.
The portion of our land that would be considered "yard" is xeroscaped. The trees and bushes are native to the climate and require no watering or other mucking about. I did trim a bunch of dead branches from a couple of the trees (aspen and willows) last week, chipped them up and poured them around the same trees as mulch.
The only plant that gets watered is the peach tree. Because peaches!
The rest of the property is left native and chopped down a couple times a year.

Had friend retire to New Mexico, he came back and was complaining about a water advisory and the effect it as having on his lawn. I asked him what would it look like if he were not there running sprinklers...... answer... it would be a desert.....

Also flying in and out of LAs Vegas I found to be rather surreal. She surrounding area is all desert, but all over Vegas there are green lawns.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I find the entire organization and giant waste of tax money, though, so it's possible my view is slanted.
I've seen people embarrassed, harassed, discriminated against and forced to miss flights by the TSA. Can't say I've seen anyone made any safer by them.

I tend not to pass judgement on the TSA, and I have had a couple of rather strange run-ins and heard more than a few things I was not impressed by at all. But, like with most things, we hear about the bad much more often than the good of things. People love to criticize, but rarely talk much about the good stuff. Use to run into this myself, not to the magnitude of the TSA, but I ran into this when I was working in State Government Security.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score

We're drowning here in NC. I'll bottle some up for you and ship it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions