LARPING?

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think a lot of people who do one do the other.
HEMA is a Martial Arts system with structured practice for historically accurate melee combat. LARP groups are usually more fun centered. There's some overlap with people, but very little when it comes to combative application.

The people in the video are a HEMA group that were applying their HEMA training to the LARP games. I like the weapons they used in the video, but a lot of LARP group use the pool noodle type weapons.

I think there are just some hinkey external rules for larp. So we would still duel. But I may have a magic weapon and so where you have to score three strikes I only have to score two.

We would still duel, but it has very few combative elements to it. Swinging a modified pool noodle around with any part of the noodle being a valid striking surface isn't realistic. Using metal sparring swords in HEMA with certified instructors teaching actual sword techniques in a structured classes, much better. I say this a a former LARPER and fencing teacher(non-HEMA).

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whatever the subject, whatever the thread there is a Monty Python clip for it. :D or 'Ripping Yarns', Michael Palin's series.

and the bonus is you are educating the younger generation to the Python satire

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever the subject, whatever the thread there is a Monty Python clip for it. :D or 'Ripping Yarns', Michael Palin's series.
Great, now I have to go find out what Ripping Yarns is, and that'll end up with another set of British shows on my list of things I simply must watch. Is this how you're going to retake the colonies?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
if you like python you will like ripping yarns

now there a thought lol

try the 4 series of Blackadder to series one not that great imo but 2,3 and 4 are

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you like python you will like ripping yarns

now there a thought lol

try the 4 series of Blackadder to series one not that great imo but 2,3 and 4 are
Blackadder I'm quite familiar with - an old favorite of mine that I haven't visited in a few years. Great, now THAT is on the list, too.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I guess it depends how you approach it. If you also practice with a properly-weighted weapon, so you know the mechanics and limitations, even LARPing could be useful. Most effective practice? Probably not, but still useful.
At least you're consistent. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
HEMA is a Martial Arts system with structured practice for historically accurate melee combat. LARP groups are usually more fun centered. There's some overlap with people, but very little when it comes to combative application.

The people in the video are a HEMA group that were applying their HEMA training to the LARP games. I like the weapons they used in the video, but a lot of LARP group use the pool noodle type weapons.

We would still duel, but it has very few combative elements to it. Swinging a modified pool noodle around with any part of the noodle being a valid striking surface isn't realistic. Using metal sparring swords in HEMA with certified instructors teaching actual sword techniques in a structured classes, much better. I say this a a former LARPER and fencing teacher(non-HEMA).

Yeah. Dont know. My mate does this one. Which would be foam swords But more sensible fights?
27750092_1534549499977106_6938099976117127863_n.jpg

Probably this.
Game Format and Rules

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get into that later. There aren't many of these HEMA schools around, and they're not cheap. Plus the equipment. Don't those suits of armor go for $5000 at least? I know I'd want a really good fencing helmet that would protect against accidental power thrusts to not lose eyeballs.

It's true HEMA ain't generally cheap if you want to go full contact with steel weapons, though you can outfit yourself in full kit for steel longsword for about $1200 (sometimes less), including a weapon. Most club's senior members upgrade gear over time, and often sell/give old gear to newbies, so sometimes you can get outfitted cheaper.

For HMB armour, which isn't HEMA in the strictest sense of the term anyway, yes, it's expensive.

For people doing armoured HEMA, the armour is likewise expensive, and needs to be authentic. HMB armour is rather overbuilt to withstand the rigors of the sport, much In the same way modern sparring longsword simulators are compared to their historical counterparts.

We occasionally have gotten LARPers come to our club but they never last. Neither do SCA folk, since what we teach isn't always useful for their context.

We have had HMB guys crosstrain with us, to generally good effect, but again, not always useful for their context.

Edit: For HEMA on the cheap, there is dussack, singlestick, wrestling, and dagger, all of which are very inexpensive. However, wrestling and dagger are particularly dangerous for the inexperienced. In a happy middle ground is rapier, which could be done for maybe half the price of longsword, though some tournaments may have more stringent gear requirements which may bump up the needed PPE.

I have never LARPed, but I hear it's outrageously fun. I do however, sling d20s across tables on a regular basis. :)

Last edited:

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. Dont know. My mate does this one. Which would be foam swords But more sensible fights?
View attachment 21623

Probably this.
Game Format and Rules
It looks like your friend does something in-between LARP and HEMA. There's definitely a spectrum when dealing with independent groups. Judging by the website they're a large group that focuses on large-scale battles. There's also the Society for Creative Anachronism, which I would place above LARP for combative realness, but still far below HEMA.

On their website it says they have hundreds of participants every week and charge $14 dollars per person. If my math is correct, $14 X 300 people X 52 weeks a year = me reevaluating my career choice :banghead:

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It looks like your friend does something in-between LARP and HEMA. There's definitely a spectrum when dealing with independent groups. Judging by the website they're a large group that focuses on large-scale battles. There's also the Society for Creative Anachronism, which I would place above LARP for combative realness, but still far below HEMA.

On their website it says they have hundreds of participants every week and charge $14 dollars per person. If my math is correct, $14 X 300 people X 52 weeks a year = me reevaluating my career choice :banghead:

Training mma fighters may be cool. But soccer mums pay the pills.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can LARPING translate into real sword fighting? How about swinging a glaive, but out of foam?
Mostly just no.
But!!!

The Society for Creative Anachronism...has no magic... and two divisions. A fencing division, and a heavy weapons division.

I did this in my 20s, long before I knew of Dog Brothers, and HEMA.

I also did Tilting... very dangerous stuff.

Heavy weapons... a set of plate armor, metal helmets, a shield... and a heavy rattan sword. It's as close as you can safely get.
Here is a full on battle.
Music is awful in the first video.

Foam swords and magic is for the DnD crowd

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Blackadder I'm quite familiar with - an old favorite of mine that I haven't visited in a few years. Great, now THAT is on the list, too.

A fellow lover of Blackadder! This is smashing.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have you seen The Goodies especially their martial arts episode... and then there's Up Pompeii...….

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also did Tilting... very dangerous stuff.

Tilting though isn't that dangerous, it's a sport done throughout Europe. A horse rider rides at full gallop and inserts their lance through small metal rings, it's like tent pegging. Do you mean jousting?

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tilting though isn't that dangerous, it's a sport done throughout Europe. A horse rider rides at full gallop and inserts their lance through small metal rings, it's like tent pegging. Do you mean jousting?

over here tilting is jousting.

Definition of TILT

noun:
a : a contest on horseback in which two combatants charging with lances or similar weapons try to unhorse each other :
b : a tournament of tilts

tilting at rings was a later use of the term.
prior use was synonymous with jousting.
first used in 1594.

Tilting at rings, and the Carasel games were brought about as jousting fell from favor.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can LARPING translate into real sword fighting? How about swinging a glaive, but out of foam?

Like everything else. LARPING isn't done to learn real sword fighting techniques. It's done for entertainment. So to think that it will get you to real sword fighting wouldn't be logical. If you want to learn real sword fighting then train real sword fighting.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you seen The Goodies especially their martial arts episode... and then there's Up Pompeii...….

Not the nine O'clock News . A bit of Fry and Lawrie , Alas Smith and Jones and the list goes on lol

Latest Discussions