LARPING?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Naturally, you guys have to walk on the pavement... not enough room for proper roads, and proper cars.

Proper cars?

But you have the steering wheel on the wrong side, how do you reach the pedals?

And while you may drive on the right side of the road, we drive on the correct side ;)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh c'mon, I didn't mean it in a bad way though....just jokingly......because I know ya'll are super immersed in the Asian culture, and in a respecting manner; to the point where some Black dudes starts talking like Bruce Lee almost when they speak in English. Even the demeanor is Bruce Lee-ish. Nothing wrong with this, just like when Asians acting like they're born & bred in Compton b/c they're heavily into the rap culture....and you know that you have to chuckle a bit at that, as a Black man.
Yeah I know you were joking. I agree with you on the "LARPING" and some kung fu schools.

I think a lot of it is an Identity crisis (hoping I'm not offending too many people lol) and the rest is a honest yet limited interest in historical culture. It would be like me studying African dance (pick a country) and the only thing I know about that country is limited to what is learned in the dance.

Here in the U.S. it's like Hyper Honorable and polite and very ritual based, but according to my family members who live there, many western martial artists would be surprise at how rude the culture can be. If Christianity was a Martial Arts it would be filled with love, respect, and honor. But when you step out of the Church it's a freaking SHT-Storm Nightmare of reality that is far from what is shown in the church. I think Kung Fu is like this and people tend to get caught up in the assumption "That's how it is."

By the way people make the same assumptions about Americans. "Oh they are so nice." then they come and live in the U.S. and it totally opposite of what they imagined.

This pretty much says it, in reference to Martial Arts @ 9:00 mark.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They just can't do rapid chopping in the air like it's nothing, with a real sword, but they still have the techniques and experience. All that dodging, block, parrying, etc. can still kill someone.
I'm not saying they can't kill someone or hurt someone. What I'm saying is that there is a big difference. I have a Chinese sword made according to the weight of what was used in war. The first think that became clear to me was why the sword techniques were the way they are. What appears to be useless when using a light weapons is critical for a heavier weapon. And it's not just 40 ounces in the palm of the hand. It's 40 ounces that are distributed in such a way to withstand the clash of metal against metal. My sword weighs about 40 ounces and that thing is heavy. I could swing it as hard as I could but it would leave me open. It's like swinging a bat at someone. You take that big swing and it's difficult to stop it., but with the techniques I can mange the swinging better, I don't leave myself open, and I don't have the big risk of cutting myself with my own sword.

Staff is like that too. Swinging a lighter staff is no wear near the same as swinging a heavier one.

You'll love it. Your skills will certainly transfer over. The Larping staff is about 40oz, which is heavier and bulkier than a real staff.
I doubt it. People call my staff "Tree" the first time I brought it to class everyone, including the Sifu was like "WTF, Are you sure that's big enough." I don't like the tooth pick staffs. Heavy weapons have always been an attraction to me simply for the fact of the strength that is required to be effective with them.

then you can wear your Kung-Fu uniform
ha ha ha. you have seen my kung fu uniform. IT's just a t-shirt and some pants lol.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not saying they can't kill someone or hurt someone. What I'm saying is that there is a big difference. I have a Chinese sword made according to the weight of what was used in war. The first think that became clear to me was why the sword techniques were the way they are. What appears to be useless when using a light weapons is critical for a heavier weapon. And it's not just 40 ounces in the palm of the hand. It's 40 ounces that are distributed in such a way to withstand the clash of metal against metal. My sword weighs about 40 ounces and that thing is heavy. I could swing it as hard as I could but it would leave me open. It's like swinging a bat at someone. You take that big swing and it's difficult to stop it., but with the techniques I can mange the swinging better, I don't leave myself open, and I don't have the big risk of cutting myself with my own sword.

I'm saying that the Larpers will adjust. I think many of them do the HEMA stuff too, so they have real swords. I think you'd be surprised by what these nerds can do.

I was just checking out this page for the US Capitol Classics. I'm sure you know what it is. They have padded weapons fighting = LARPING. Isn't Dennis Brown, probably the biggest name in Kung-Fu in the USA?

Padded Stick Fighting - US Capitol Classics • China Open

ha ha ha. you have seen my kung fu uniform. IT's just a t-shirt and some pants lol.

Well if it's those Kung-Fu pants, then you'd be ok...just no t-shirt, so you'd have to go shirtless and impress the 5-7 women there (in a crowd of 200+).

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here in the U.S. it's like Hyper Honorable and polite and very ritual based, but according to my family members who live there, many western martial artists would be surprise at how rude the culture can be.

That's what I've been trying to tell you guys. Asians in Asian don't do that "Hyper Honorable".....David Caradine/Karate Kid joint. That's mostly made up by White Hollywood. It ain't bad or anything, probably even good since it created an industry of strip mall businesses and ways for kids to get out of the house to get fit, confidence, etc... But Asians developed all that chopsocky, to mostly kill each other with it. Then after the gun dominated, Asians fought each other's MA for sport. All the chopsocky movies are about revenge mostly. And Asians in Asia are rude as hell....and are quite prejudice against Blacks.

Chopsocky to me is just a tool. It can be used for good, bad or neutral.

This pretty much says it, in reference to Martial Arts @ 9:00 mark.

You mean after the Communist Regime, causing them to be ***holes? I'm sure it did, but I don't think they were any more different than the rest of the world during their other time periods. Like during their Dynasties or whatever, the Nobility used to treat the Peasants like **** also. Pretty similar to Feudalism in Europe.[/QUOTE]

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whenever someone wants to give me the spiel about "Proper English" see below...

I feel I must point out I didn't use the phrase "proper English".

I may yet decide to use the phrase "proper reading" though :bookworm:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know how all kung Fu people train? Youve seen them all, and are comfortable with sweeping generalizations?

If you're going to make generalisations you might as well make them sweeping - they're the best kind.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You are correct.

Larpers train with resistance.

No.... if the LARPers trained with real resistance they would do it like Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.
rp-fb-mcmap2.jpg

This is training Foam with resistance

D

Deleted member 39746

may have been posted before, but a TL;DR moment.

Many LARPER's do actually seek HEMA and various weapon training though. think of it as a budget airsoft for weapons (pending rule set of the game) and learn to fear paper balls!
Various hema channels have done videos on Larpers doing training, as they do basically mock fight each other with heavily varying amounts of realism. and you can always make your own uber realistic fighting larp.

I think lindy beige did a video where he got pwnt by using butterfly swords in a larp because he got stuck in the under brush. (since he did larp to at least trial how well they would work in a force v force setting) It is: "what larping has taught me about sword fighting" i believe.

also remember it is ROLE PLAY, not sparring, nor a competition it is to pretend to be X in Z setting.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This past weekend I went LARPING and injured 10 people with my PVC staff. I got banned...

Justkiddinglol. Didn'tgoLarping.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This past weekend I went LARPING and injured 10 people with my PVC staff. I got banned...

Justkiddinglol. Didn'tgoLarping.
I laughed out loud at this. I could just imagine a guy with a long piece of thick pvc just beating the **** out of chubby guys cosplaying as wizards.

@gpseymour this might be a similar context to your training, in that folks need to get up the next day to go to work at Microsoft or Zillow, and are looking to mitigate risk.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I laughed out loud at this. I could just imagine a guy with a long piece of thick pvc just beating the **** out of chubby guys cosplaying as wizards.

@gpseymour this might be a similar context to your training, in that folks need to get up the next day to go to work at Microsoft or Zillow, and are looking to mitigate risk.
Someone with a thick PVC pipe (and some skill) would just leave me wondering where my foam sword fell. :eek:

Latest Discussions