Lady faced 14 year jail sentence in Australia for having pepper spray.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In your prior post, you set up worst case scenarios and predictable mistakes.In some of them (being grabbed and carried off with arms pinned), while the gun didn't help, it also didn't hurt, so the issue is the scenario not the weapon.

You're operating on suppositions about the incidence of guns being taken away. I don't recall any specific statistics, but I seem to recall that being actually pretty rare. There's a couple of differences in the situation between cops and civilians. Firstly, the cops aren't usually trying to leave, so can easily get caught up in stuff I'd bug out on. Secondly, their weapon is obvious and known. Grappling for that weapon can (and sometimes does) start before the weapon is even drawn. That's unlikely with a concealed weapon.

Like any physical skill, retaining a weapon and using it in complex situations will require more training. Deploying it takes less training. Deploying and firing, not much more than just deploying. Actually hitting a target under stress requires a good bit more, but there's pretty good evidence that hitting a target isn't often a deciding factor in ending a threat when a gun is presented (others here can cite the statistics on that, but in the majority of cases firing the gun isn't even necessary).

It is a terrible way to approach self defence though.

If you are going to carry a gun you need to be set up in a manner that you are prepared to shoot and kill someone.

Which means you are prepared for the sort of violent confrontation that requires you to shoot and kill someone.

Otherwise the attitude to gun carry becomes irresponsible and dangerous.

And god forbid you shoot miss and kill someone else.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on her.

I know of a female that was abducted from a gas station.....at a stop sign she was able to draw her handgun, shoot her abductor in the leg, jump out of the car, and escape. Who knows what would have happened had she not been armed.

Whereas, one of my wife's friend from highschool(who was unarmed) was abducted twenty years ago, raped, murdered, and body dumped in the woods....who knows what would have happened had she been armed.

My first homicide investigation as the primary case agent was a home invasion in which an elderly unarmed female was beaten to death...again who knows what would have happened had she been armed.

When I was a teenager I had a cousin who was home with her 6 month old son....a man broke into her home by breaking a window and climbing through. The man was between my cousin (who was in the front of the house) and her sleeping baby (in the baby's room). Being armed, she was able to shoot the intruder, get to her baby, then flee the house. The intruder fled to the bathroom, locked himself in the bathroom, and bled out. Again who knows what would have happened had she not been armed.

With 18 years experience in L.E., of which 6 years was as a violent crime detective, and the last 7 years as a narcotics agent, I very much advocate having and carrying firearms/weapons. Better to have and never need it than need it and never had it.

Baton Rouge police: Man shot, killed by homeowner after entering home on Canyonland Drive

Armed Robber shot by store Clerks----
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

"We rely upon the good will of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles.".....is not a great strategy, IMHO.

And a video that really shows the comedy of errors that occur when nobody has a real clue what they are doing.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
And a video that really shows the comedy of errors that occur when nobody has a real clue what they are doing.

Say what you want but that comedy of errors stopped the robbery and apprehended a criminal that had already committed 10 armed robberies in that area.

Its easy to Monday Morning QB when the shotgun isn't in your face.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Say what you want but that comedy of errors stopped the robbery and apprehended a criminal that had already committed 10 armed robberies in that area.

Its easy to Monday Morning QB when the shotgun isn't in your face.

But it is alright when you use it to make a point though?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
But it is alright when you use it to make a point though?

I'm not judging them. Just using the video to point out that they had the option of defending themselves and they chose that option.

They made their decision they thought was best for them and did what they thought they needed to do to protect themselves.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a terrible way to approach self defence though.

If you are going to carry a gun you need to be set up in a manner that you are prepared to shoot and kill someone.

Which means you are prepared for the sort of violent confrontation that requires you to shoot and kill someone.

Otherwise the attitude to gun carry becomes irresponsible and dangerous.

And god forbid you shoot miss and kill someone else.
Oh, I definitely agree with that concept, DB.

Marie_Flowers88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. She should be punished for that. She was a writer and she must know that weapons are illegal
why does being a writer mean she MUST know the law?

do writer have to sit a law exam to become writers?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not judging them. Just using the video to point out that they had the option of defending themselves and they chose that option.

They made their decision they thought was best for them and did what they thought they needed to do to protect themselves.

They locked him in with them.

I mean we can use that video to point out that they could have just let the guy go.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As what she said, she was a writer in the court. This means that this isn't her first time going to the court.
Not just in court, in every establishment, weapons are not allowed.

She's a journalist so I was wondering how much she exaggerated her story for effect, it depends who she is employed by too, her editor might have wanted a certain type of political leaning to her story as well.

Marie_Flowers88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
She's a journalist so I was wondering how much she exaggerated her story for effect, it depends who she is employed by too, her editor might have wanted a certain type of political leaning to her story as well.

I agree It is really possible that they want to make publicity out of it. Which I can say that she is stupid.

Latest Discussions