Kukkiwon question: were all unified kwans TKD?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is what I was told by my master about OhDoKwan:

TaeKwonDo was formed in 1972, when the major kwans (schools) of Korean martial arts unified. .

I think / hope you misunderstoood your master if he used the 1972 Date.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought that I would ask this is the general section: were any of the kwans that were unified into the Kukkiwon not taekwondo? In other words, were any of them going by KSD, HKD, TSD, etc.

Thank you,

Daniel

Any kwan existing before 1955 was not doing TKD before that time. TKD did not exist. When the KKW unified Kwans it was accepting many different systems for rank. Now, if one day I am doing Krav Maga and the next day I do nothing but change the name to TKD does that my school is now a TKD school?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any kwan existing before 1955 was not doing TKD before that time. TKD did not exist. When the KKW unified Kwans it was accepting many different systems for rank. Now, if one day I am doing Krav Maga and the next day I do nothing but change the name to TKD does that my school is now a TKD school?

A rose by any other name...

But the KKW didn't exist until well after the unification. The unification created the Korea Taesoodo Association, which became the Korean Taekwondo Association, which spawned the Kukkiwon.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
EARL WEISS SAID:

A rose by any other name...

But the KKW didn't exist until well after the unification. The unification created the Korea Taesoodo Association, which became the Korean Taekwondo Association, which spawned the Kukkiwon.

I don't think it makes a difference. If you are doing CDK, TSD, MDK does it somehow become "TKD" because you choose to call it such? Does that fact that you become "Unified" whatever that means under an org calling itself the Korea TSD assoc., which doesn't even use the name somehow make what you do TKD?

If you call a tail a leg does that mean a dog has 5 legs?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hanmukwan - 1954
Founded by Lee Kyo Yun, was an offshoot of Jidokwan

Seems that there is a lack of reliable info when it comes this subject.

Inaccuracies do pop up with some frequency, and it's hard to determine who is telling the truth and who isn't. As an example, GM Lee states that HMK was never an offshoot of Jidokwan but comes directly from YMK. However, many in Jidokwan say that yes, HMK came from them but there was a falling out and the history was rewritten.

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter a whole lot as far as the actual training. But it's a bear if your trying to track an accurate lineage for students.