Kukkiwon question: were all unified kwans TKD?

Discussion in 'Korean Martial Arts - General' started by Daniel Sullivan, Apr 1, 2010.

1. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

I have no idea. I am not familiar with even who he might be. Perhaps someone else may be able to help you.

2. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Senior Master

I think / hope you misunderstoood your master if he used the 1972 Date.

3. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Senior Master

Any kwan existing before 1955 was not doing TKD before that time. TKD did not exist. When the KKW unified Kwans it was accepting many different systems for rank. Now, if one day I am doing Krav Maga and the next day I do nothing but change the name to TKD does that my school is now a TKD school?

4. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    A rose by any other name...

But the KKW didn't exist until well after the unification. The unification created the Korea Taesoodo Association, which became the Korean Taekwondo Association, which spawned the Kukkiwon.

5. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Senior Master

EARL WEISS SAID:
    Any kwan existing before 1955 was not doing TKD before that time. TKD did not exist. When the KKW unified Kwans it was accepting many different systems for rank. Now, if one day I am doing Krav Maga and the next day I do nothing but change the name to TKD does that my school is now a TKD school?

I don't think it makes a difference. If you are doing CDK, TSD, MDK does it somehow become "TKD" because you choose to call it such? Does that fact that you become "Unified" whatever that means under an org calling itself the Korea TSD assoc., which doesn't even use the name somehow make what you do TKD?

If you call a tail a leg does that mean a dog has 5 legs?

6. Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do IKSDA Director

• Supporting Member
    Inaccuracies do pop up with some frequency, and it's hard to determine who is telling the truth and who isn't. As an example, GM Lee states that HMK was never an offshoot of Jidokwan but comes directly from YMK. However, many in Jidokwan say that yes, HMK came from them but there was a falling out and the history was rewritten.

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter a whole lot as far as the actual training. But it's a bear if your trying to track an accurate lineage for students.