Krav-Maga??

Discussion in 'General Self Defense' started by Andr, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Rat

Rat Master Black Belt

There should just be a automated bot respond to 90% of threads with "it depends". :p

as i put above, it depends and it does depend heavily on who teaches it.

As i dont know Russian i dont know the context of this video.

I believe the creator militarized his sports knowledge under defendu via some form of training or service with the U.K/western allies. Providing all the sources i got is accurate and all that stuff. I would say its unique enough to be called Israeli and be his system per say.

Honestly krav maga is one of those milked to death things, im not too sure if there is a world wide organization of "proper" krav maga who maintains standards but its so fragmented and has a plethora of different teaching methods to its name you could have a very distinct training quality difference.

Also a big point, you aren't getting what the ISDF gets and the police get a different one to them etc. Plus their standards take into account you being military fit anyway. Before this turns into a rant, thats all i have to type.

I dont harbor a specific dislike for it, that's just the problems i see for it. Also some of the above might be known/obvious for some of you.

2. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

Im not sure what your point is, it was never a sport, it was always a self defence system, and its country of origin is england,

That makes it british, like karate is japanese, irrespective of where its taught, or how its modified

Your point about fitness however is true, but also true of all ma/ defence systems, they all work much much better if your " military " fit

3. Hanzou

Hanzou Grandmaster

Anyone got a real life example of Krav being used to fight off multiple armed assailants?

4. wab25

wab25 Black Belt

I had always been told it was developed by Imre Lichtenfeld. From Wiki:
    I realize that it Wiki... but it is the basic summary I usually find when read the pages of the different Krav groups. Can you elaborate more on Krav actually being from England? I am not doubting you... its just not part of the usual history of Krav, unless I am missing something. Anyway, I would love to hear more about its English origin.

5. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Ironically I did read one which I am trying to hunt down.

6. hoshin1600

hoshin1600 Senior Master

it wouldnt matter because it didnt happen inside an octagon.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Hanzou

Hanzou Grandmaster

I have no problem with non-sport examples:

However, I typically see this type of thing from boxers, not Krav people.

8. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

People involved with it, who write the histories, like to bask in the reflected glory of the idf, but it was conceived in Hungary , then with the jewish exerdus from easten europe in the 1930s tranfered to london where it was developed, so depebdent on what point your saying it began, its either hungarian or British, or a bit if both.! but it is most certainly is NOT from Israel

9. wab25

wab25 Black Belt

Ok, I get how its not from Israel. But, are you saying that someone other than Lichtenfeld created it?

Imi Lichtenfeld - Wikipedia

I don't see him going to London or even England. The closest he got was to North Africa serving with the British supervised Free Czechoslovak Legion sometime between 1940 and 1942. Where does London come in? Or who from London created Krav, if it wasn't Lichtenfeld?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

????????????????? He conceived it,tought ut to others, who then moved to london and tought and developed it further,

Or he was the father, but not the one who raised the child !

11. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Imi litchfield created it. But eyal yanillow developed it as a system. He was litchfields right hand man and helped him make the actual syllabus so it was more structured. But the principles all came from litchfield but at the end of the day. Who cares where it came from

12. wab25

wab25 Black Belt

I must read history a bit differently. Not only was he the father, but he raised the child as well.

A Hungarian, created a fighting system, took it to Israel and named it Krav, taught it at the IDF school for 20 twenty years, then modified it for civilian needs and created two training centers for it. But one of his early students went to London... So we now have the Krav Maga, the British system of self defense...? Ok.

13. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

What made that guy a boxer....I saw the same punches used in Krav Maga, karate and boxing so what specifically made him a boxer?

14. wab25

wab25 Black Belt

In 1948 Lichtenfeld was teaching his Krav to the IDF. Eyal started training at Lichtenfeld's training center in Israel in 1974. Still not sure how that makes Krav a British system?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hanzou

Hanzou Grandmaster

The guys name is Nuh Demircan, and he himself said that all he knew was boxing.

16. Kababayan

Kababayan Blue Belt

Respectfully, my friend, because Krav is a fairly new system of self defense (compared to other martial arts) it can easily be traced back to the original organization. The big four organizations (main students of Imi Lichtenfeld) maintain fairly tight standards of Krav Maga. Kravists tend to know who the main Krav organizations are. Even across the big four organizations, Krav tends to look the same. The issue is when someone takes the concepts or a few techniques of Krav and creates their own version of "Krav-Fu". I wouldn't say "fragmented" because that would mean that the head instructor of an "off-shoot Krav" was a part of the Big Four organizations originally, although I understand what you mean when you say "fragmented". I would say that somebody is creating their own personal system and calling it Krav...even when it's not. Krav has a very distinct signature. I think the confusion comes when people make judgements of Krav based on observations and not long-term training. I mean no disrespect when I say that, it would be like me speaking my opinions about Aikido, as truth, without actually studying the art, and studying it from an actual respected Aikido school. Originally Krav was intended to be taught in a 20 hour course, or 18, I forget.

17. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Wasn't it on the Simpsons that time?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Andr

Andr White Belt

19. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    It’s amazing how slow-motion video coupled with dramatic background music can make someone look really awesome.

20. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Never said it did123