Kosutemi Seieikan - Kata, Competition and Technique

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay...after verifying funds with my CFO (read: wife), I am on for the tournament tomorrow. It's a big one compared to the two I've already done. I'm anticipating a Karate Kid size competition. A little nervous. A little apprehensive. That's ok, though.

I think.

Here's the link to the form showing the levels of competition. Just a jpeg of the reg form; but, it gives some idea what I'm walking into.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lower levels seemed best defined by the variety found. These are all of the ppl who have hung in long enough to shw up at a tournament but before anyone has decided it's not for them.

I'd expect to see some promising competitors but also a lot of ppl who are stiff and/or with wild form.

This is a good time to work on the relaxation I mentioned. If you try to be *too* technical and perfect you'll be too preoccupied with your own form and will be one of those mechanical-looking competitors.

Your division could take a long time so be ready for it. I wouldn't worry about reviewing your opponents and all of that. Just move around some, watch what you like, and maybe make some new friends.

Which kata are you doing? Fuku-gata-ni? If you only know this and Ichi, the second one tends to look nice. It is also easier to hide any mechanical movement.

I'll look forward to hearing how it goes. Is your daughter competing too?

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, Navarre...relaxing my shoulders, hiding my intent has been an integral part of my practice lately. I'm not as nervous now as I was when I posted. My bag's packed, uniform's ready, all is good in the earth right now.

I'm doing Fukugata ni, yes...of the two, I like it better and, you're right, it's easier to be fluid in that kata...plus, my wife REALLY likes to see me do that one ;)

My stepdaughter is not competing...she said the last one made her nervous enough. In her time.

As for me, I plan to see how the process works at this level and to observe as much as I can. I'm hoping to enjoy the higher-belt kumite and weapons kata. I imagibe it will be a long day. I'll be there at 9:30. Sensei (who is also competing) sez we'll be staying late, as well.

Until tomorrow, then!

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depending on the hosy, most tournaments start with black belt weapon and open-hand katas as well as synchronized katas (if the tournament has it). Then they start with the lowest ranks and work their way up.

In larger tournaments they will have 5 or 6 rings going at the same time to help move things along. The black belt kumite should be last.

Usually the black belt kumite is divided down into 3 weight classes plus a Seniors (age 35+) division. Then, the winnder of those 4 divisions will compete against each other to get the Grand Champion in black belt kumite.

Now I'm old enough that I actually get to pick whether I want to compete with the 35+ black belts (often those 5th degree types who flow like water and hit like tanks) or in the middleweight division (the young bucks half my age who are in it to win). From past experience, I prefer the Senior division. They are better technically but aren't as convinced they have to take your head home as a trophy.

Fun, Fun! Is your step-daughter going to go watch at least or is she taking a break?

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Truth be told, I will be competing in the Senior Novice Division. I'm an old toddler...heheh. Thing is, I don't have to take my competitor's head home as a trophy; but, I will, if I have to :)

I have no idea how many rings; but, the flyer stated very clearly that I must have kumite competition in my division in order to qualify for Grand Champion. This suggests that there my be a less than stellar across-the-board showing. We'll see.

My goil, she be not wanting to spend 8 hours at comp...I suppose I can't blame her. And it WILL be fun :)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since this is your first big tournament I suggest you take some time to get a feel for who the "top dog" is amongst the black belts. Most likely he or she will be an older individual of high rank and good-natured demeanor.

Then, during a time when many of the general public are around, openly approach this person. Claim your ability to be far superior to his and make a few derogatory remarks about both his school and his mamma. Then challenge him to open combat in the middle of the tournament floor.

This is a great way to get your name known amongst many schools. I think you will find this event to be most...educational.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable. I will try it!

Should my selection be the largest or just the one that commands the most subservience?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
That sounds reasonable. I will try it!

Should my selection be the largest or just the one that commands the most subservience?

You should be able to find him easy by the pissing he's done to mark his territory. Follow the smell.....

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well...that was a long day. I got to the comp at 9:30 and left after Sensei competed, about 6:00.

There were about 350 competitors in kumite, randori, grappling, kata and weapons. There were 2 or 3 Haedong competitors, several Tai Chi and one gentleman, whom I didn't get to speak to, competing with Chinese broadsword.

I took 2nd in kata, 35-44 and
2nd in kumite, 35-44

I did not do a weapons form; but, I'm pulling out the chucks and will compete 3 for 3 next tourney.

This...was fun!

And no one pissed anywhere unnecessarily.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like you made a great showing, Egg. Congratulations!!

How many ppl just in your division? ... Not that it matters too much. Apparently only 1 person gave you a run for your money.

Review all the tapes of his competition. Train 16-18 hrs per day (this may require quitting your job but you have to have your priorities straight). Run up snow-covered mountains, wrestle oxen, that sort of thing.

Then, next tournament, give the the eye of the tiger and say something to him like, "I will break you." I have faith in you, buddy!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
great showing for your first outing.
Navarre gave some good advice about reviewing the tapes, tapes always show what you did good and where improvement can be made

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, all :)

'wrestle oxen' I like that!

I was made painfully aware of my errors, although reviewing the tapes will come in handy, too. I know I telegraphed a couple times and I closed the gap ineffectively at least twice in the fights. I'm still not as relaxed as wrestling oxen may make me.

There were 5 in my division. I got a by for the first round; so, I only fought twice. The gentleman that beat me, however, was Grand Champion for the division. It's...ahem...obvious he had to work for it ;) That match was 3-2. Right down to the wire.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Many ppl, even some higher ranks, lack the confidence to step in front of 300 ppl and put themselves on display. This is especially true with martial arts because it's something you love but are afraid being judged (literally).

It is a very individual display and so you really put yourself on the line (literally, again). One of the several reasons I like tournaments is because it develops the ability to face mental obstacles, to perform under stress, and to own up to who we are.

A tournament may be as close to a real fight as it is to yodeling but it has its good points too. I hope you get some company the next time you go to one.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the yodelling analogy. Competition is the arena, though, where I can place myself in the order, overall (at least for one day). It's where I can put the teachings I've recieved into practice. To me, competition, in Seieikan, at least, is integral to the art.

I'm holding myself back from saying cometition should be integral to most MA; but, only because I don't really know it all.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I'm holding myself back from saying cometition should be integral to most MA; but, only because I don't really know it all.

That's okay. I still have 2 or 3 days to go before I've learned and mastered all of martial arts myself. There are many styles and thousands of years; it's taken me the better part of a month to master it all.

btw, next time you're shooting in at an angle, try actually going at a close angle against his guard side (the raised blocking hand). The arm is often strong and prepared for a direct assault. However, it's easily tapped out of the way at the elbow.

If he's an orthodox fighter his left hand will be up at his face. Shoot close to his left arm. Keep your own left up as you come in to protect from a potential left backfist.

Once inside of his backfist range, pop your left hand down in a short arc and sweep his left arm aside by directing his elbow inward. As simultaneously as possible strike either his head or his now-exposed ribs with your right reverse punch.

Hope it works for you. Have fun!

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Egg, I don't know if this is something which interests you, but I caught wind that Don Madden is trying to arrange a tournament connection in Taiwan, similar to his situation with the Irish Cup. Team members would get transportation and lodging at a discount.
Just passin' a rumor along :) .

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
Egg, I don't know if this is something which interests you, but I caught wind that Don Madden is trying to arrange a tournament connection in Taiwan, similar to his situation with the Irish Cup. Team members would get transportation and lodging at a discount.
Just passin' a rumor along :) .

Thanks, Randy. That would be an incredible adventure, to be certain. I'm sure I'll be at some competition that he's at, too, this 1st quarter. I'll see what he has to say about it.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had a few students and senseis attend the Irish Cup. They had a great time.

I'd recommend going if you get the chance. Tournament stuff aside, it would be a great chance to have a new experience.

Latest Discussions