Kosutemi Seieikan - Kata, Competition and Technique

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Although at some stage in the rotating punch you would have the half punch, it is still utilized as two different strikes. I'm almost in agreement with BCBonz about the rotation.

Rotating the punch entirely prior to striking is wasting the point of the rotation. If the punch is no longer rotating then the rotation itself served very little purpose.

However, I don't think the punch should rotate after it hits either. Once again, the rotation becomes a separate movement.

In the same way a rising block completes its rotation as it makes impact, a punch should do the same. The full impact and rotation of the punch should occur simultaneously, not separately.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Although at some stage in the rotating punch you would have the half punch, it is still utilized as two different strikes. I'm almost in agreement with BCBonz about the rotation.

Rotating the punch entirely prior to striking is wasting the point of the rotation. If the punch is no longer rotating then the rotation itself served very little purpose.

However, I don't think the punch should rotate after it hits either. Once again, the rotation becomes a separate movement.

In the same way a rising block completes its rotation as it makes impact, a punch should do the same. The full impact and rotation of the punch should occur simultaneously, not separately.

thats precisely what i was trying to say.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok...it's back to class tonight. Missed Monday because of Halloween. My off day workouts have been

three basic blocks, 100x with 2 lb weights
Middle, Upper and Hook punches 100x, no weights
Upper body light weights 20x-50x, low weight, 2 sets
Katas, Fug ich and ni 5x
Kicks, front, side, back and roundhouse 10x x 3 sets

It's been a tough couple weeks making it to class. Too much family stuff going on. I should be back to 3x week next week, though.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dude that's a great workout

I admire your zeal

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, I try to do something well-rounded when I can't make class. And, I need to say, that's not all at once. The upper body, kata and kicks are done in a group; then, after a bit of cooling down, I'll do the punches and blocks. They tire me; but, the weights make for speed, I'm told. Much later, I'll do some stretching watching the tube. At 44, I need to do what I can when I can or significant progress won't materialize.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last night, we began Pinan Shodan. I added shuto uke to my regular workout as I feel like a dork when I do it; no confidence in exectuting it with force. In Fugyugata ni, it was a smooth, slow move.

Pinan means peaceful mind and that is appropriate. It is my current experience that MA is a perfect outlet for life's aggravations, harangues and harassments. Lately, a one from my past has risen, full-force, to cause me difficulty by any means (currently, it seems to be perjury and fraud). The frustration associated with these events is, indeed, massive. By concentrating and focusing on my MA training, I have been able to disperse these emotions in a healthy fashion. Further, with just a bit more effort, I am beginning to achieve similar control when it pops up and I am not in class.

I am grateful to MA for showing me a path to this control and near-peace.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, back to topic.
A thought on the vertical vs. twist punch in Seiei-kan. Egg, you said your instructor studied under George Annarino. I know that both he and Don Madden were boxers in their youth. Perhaps this is the reason why they embrace the vertical fist punch in sparring. Of course, several other arts use it as well (Isshin-ryu springs to mind). Just something to think about.

Sorry, I'm all verklempt. Talk among yourselves.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
OK, back to topic.
A thought on the vertical vs. twist punch in Seiei-kan. Egg, you said your instructor studied under George Annarino. I know that both he and Don Madden were boxers in their youth. Perhaps this is the reason why they embrace the vertical fist punch in sparring. Of course, several other arts use it as well (Isshin-ryu springs to mind). Just something to think about.

Sorry, I'm all verklempt. Talk among yourselves.

Yes, Not only was Mr. Annarino a boxer, he was raised by a boxer. I can't deny the effectiveness, in kumite, of the straight jab.

On another topic, I purchased Karate-Do Kyohan this weekend. A wholly remarkable book. Now, I have both of Funakoshi's seminal texts on karate. Having read through the first part, I can see how invaluable they will be to me.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last night, I fixed Sensei's PC. While it was updating and installing and blah-diddy-blah, I took the time to practice for today's competition, my 2nd competition.

I'm a white belt in Seieikan and I don't really expect much from my skill level...Only An Egg, you know; but, today, I was pleased with myself.

Of course, The Little Dragons all went first. It's inspiring to see these little ones, 3-5 years old, repeating the Little Dragon Creed and performing their kata and basics. It's good to know they're getting lessons in honor and dedication so young; lessons that will continue to endure long into their lives.

I performed Fukyugata Ni cause it makes my wife happy ;) I had two competitors in my class, this time; both very skilled. I accepted first place :)

Kumite was interesting. I went up against the same karateka as I did on my first competition. It was another hard fight; but, he took the silver this time, again W00t for me!

As I took two 1st places, I was entered into the Grand Champion competition. We all performed Fukyugata Ich for the trophy. I now have a trophy in my house.

It was a good competition.

My stepdaughter competed for the first time today. She recieved the gold in kata and 2nd place, overall, in her class. I am very very proud of her.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations, Egg!!!

Ma, sounds like you and your daughter both are off on a rockin' start with the tournament scene. Tournaments are a lot of fun. It gives us a chance to place ourselves under a bit of safe pressure and see what we can do. Looks to me like you do just fine.

One of my students (a tad older than me) started Ko Sutemi in 1989 or so along with his 6 year old daughter. A few years ago they had to build a new room on their house just to hold all their tournament trophies (No lie!).

Here's to your future home expansion! Glad you had fun, buddy!

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Arigato, Navarre :)

We're all very pleased by the way we competed. My next goal is to get my stepdaughter to fight and my stepson to compete kata. My wife will do as she wishes when she wishes :)

On that note, my wife discovered that one of today's judges teaches a Muay Thai class 3 days a week and our GrandSensei's dojo. She's looking into that seriously. That's all I need...my wife Ong-Baking my butt.

heheh

Edit: I put the pics in the Gallery and on the bloggy thing

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice pics, Egg. Your kumite form looks very good indeed.

You're protecting your chin and are nicely loaded for the reverse puch. Lots of guys don't keep their hands up or their elbows in. You're doing both. Good job!

Some of your kata pics are blurred, clearly indicating to me that you possess superhuman speed. Your ability to move faster than the human eye can follow will surely serve you well when you spar for yellow belt.

I don't have nearly as many pics from my early years as I'd like. I have a few bits of old video (back when video cameras weighed a ton and took a whole bag just to hold the battery!).

It's funny (and humbling) to look back at some of the stuff. Mostly because of my scrawny nerdiness that I tried to defy by wearing my hair in a long ponytail. (It didn't work!).

I've never competed much in tournaments, unlike my student I mentioned. Still, I did come in second place in my weight division in the black belt sparring 2 yrs in a row at The State Championship.

Once I came in second in the black belt overall finals (so second for the whole tournament). The techniques I'd learned years earlier from Tokey Hill really served me excellently. I was lucky to get to learn such things as the Blitz from him.

I had a lot of fun at the tournaments and that's what counts. I'm glad you did too.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It looked like you had fun, and did well. Congradulations

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
You're protecting your chin and are nicely loaded for the reverse puch. Lots of guys don't keep their hands up or their elbows in. You're doing both. Good job!

After a few days of Sensei's flank and belly punches, I learned to tuck my elbows in.

Navarre said:
Some of your kata pics are blurred, clearly indicating to me that you possess superhuman speed. Your ability to move faster than the human eye can follow will surely serve you well when you spar for yellow belt.

I had hoped the camera wouldn't catch that...it needs to be kept secret.

Navarre said:
I don't have nearly as many pics from my early years as I'd like. I have a few bits of old video (back when video cameras weighed a ton and took a whole bag just to hold the battery!).

It's funny (and humbling) to look back at some of the stuff. Mostly because of my scrawny nerdiness that I tried to defy by wearing my hair in a long ponytail. (It didn't work!).

I've never competed much in tournaments, unlike my student I mentioned. Still, I did come in second place in my weight division in the black belt sparring 2 yrs in a row at The State Championship.

Once I came in second in the black belt overall finals (so second for the whole tournament). The techniques I'd learned years earlier from Tokey Hill really served me excellently. I was lucky to get to learn such things as the Blitz from him.

I had a lot of fun at the tournaments and that's what counts. I'm glad you did too.

I plan to compete as much as possible because I find it a singular joy to do so; albeit, a nerve-wracking one. Both times, it's been like that time right before a first date: apprehensive about what may or may not occur. The competitions, though, have been wonderful experiemces, unlike most of my first dates.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Long time since I posted to this thread.

Classes are going well. I practice almost every day there's no class.

Here's a thing, though, and it concerns me: last night, Sensei said that, when we compete outside of Seieikan, we should remove our org patches because we will be judged detrimentally because of the style. Is this commen in MA, to be of a derided style or to be treated thus? It makes me go 'hmmmmm'.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have sometimes found that tournaments judge ppl unfairly when from a different system. This isn't unique to Seiei Kan though. It has a lot to do with who has organized the tournament and who the judges are.

I have gone to tournaments where all the judges were from or affiliated with the school of the one who organized the tournament. In almost every instance, only their ppl won the gold.

One of our black belts did an outstanding bo kata that blew everyone away. She tied with a person also doing bo from the host school. They redid their kata and the judges gave the nod to our student...but the host sensei overruled it. He claimed that her bo was an inch too long for her height and gave the award to the other student (who happened to be his star pupil).

This kind of discrimination is disgusting. It is completely against all that we are taught.

Still, I remind myself (and my students) that we are competing to do our best. That is not necessarily the same as winning. It shouldn't be like that, but it is.

Tournaments, like schools, are a terribly political creature. Despite this, I have never failed to wear my patches with pride.

However, some tournaments have specific rules regarding patches so of course I adhere to those. There's nothing wrong with wearing a plain white gi if you choose.

Win or lose (patch or not) just go, do your best, and have fun.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On a side note, I'd like to say that this is a really good thread. I'm glad to see it's continuing because it goes beyond just one style and addresses a lot of what newer students question when first choosing an art.

I'm glad it was nominated for Most Helpful Post. I didn't nominate it myself so it's nice that someone else likes it.

Obviously I'll vote for it and force all of my students to vote for it. After all, we're from the same system and we should only support and acknowledge others from our system. ... At least that's the lesson I'd learned from a black belt at a tournament somewhere. *sarcastic grin*

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've heard the same comment about competeing and also while doing seminars. To date I've never taken my patchs off any uniform. You don't like my patchs, tough nuggies

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lol...thanks, Navarre. I just wasn't certain what to think after Sensei's comment. It was a disconcerting piece of information.

Re: this thread. It has been a constant source of good information for a beginner such as myself. Thanks to you and everyone that's posted to it. I am grateful. :asian:

Latest Discussions