Kosutemi Seieikan - Kata, Competition and Technique

ryudo634

White Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I got 2nd in kata, 3rd in kumite and 2 little kid's from George's school talked me into doing synch kata and we got 3rd.

No real complaints from me outside of kumite. It seemed odd after W-L-W that I didn't have the chance to fight for second; but, eh, some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Fun day nonetheless. Congrats, ryudu! Going to Whitehall this weekend?
No, my next tournament will be the one in West Virginia in September. I saw your synch kata with the kids. Fun to watch, you guys didn't do bad.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ryudo634 said:
No, my next tournament will be the one in West Virginia in September. I saw your synch kata with the kids. Fun to watch, you guys didn't do bad.

I fouled up the first part of the form. I was seriously embarrassed over that. I've been doing the form for months now.

At Whitehall, the young lady and I took first in synch and I recieved firsts in kata and kumite. It was a good comp.

Mr. Annarino has his tourney next Sunday and I may be down in WV, as well.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
The trick there is that you continue like there was no mistake. Even though the judges may recognize the mistake, they might think that you were taught it that way and may not deduct points. Plus, if it were a real fight you would not be able to stop and start over. You would have to addapt and overcome your opponent. Keep in mind that tournament competition is an extention of your training. Winning or losing in a competition is just a measuring stick of where you are at that point in your training. Just in a more public way. Kind of like a mini belt test. If you really want to be a competitor there are tournaments about every weekend. Tokey Hill,when he was competing would go to all of the tournaments no matter who was putting them on. Just to gain the experience of fighting against many different styles.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
twendkata71 said:
The trick there is that you continue like there was no mistake. Even though the judges may recognize the mistake, they might think that you were taught it that way and may not deduct points. Plus, if it were a real fight you would not be able to stop and start over. You would have to addapt and overcome your opponent. Keep in mind that tournament competition is an extention of your training. Winning or losing in a competition is just a measuring stick of where you are at that point in your training. Just in a more public way. Kind of like a mini belt test. If you really want to be a competitor there are tournaments about every weekend. Tokey Hill,when he was competing would go to all of the tournaments no matter who was putting them on. Just to gain the experience of fighting against many different styles.

No doubt. I continued, as I was taught, without much of a stumble. That performance got us 3rd. First time I did a synch at comp. I felt bad for the kids cause I fouled it; but, I made up for it last weekend when Ally and I got 1st at Ricky Moore's comp.

Competitions...yep, it's simply a statement of how good I was ON THAT DAY only. Since I went single, I've applied myself to as many comps as I can. I'm enjoying having thrown myself, wholeheartedly, into karate. This week is a demo in Millersport on wednesday. Next Saturday, the 9th, is another demo in Lancaster. The 10th is George's competition. Then, there's one in Zanesville and one in West Va. No Bangkok for me, though.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Who is having a tournament in Zanesville? That would be a first for me. I have never know of anyone having any tournament in that area.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have the flyer at home. I'll post it tomorrow with all the pertinent info.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that I have met him before. There is nothing on his website about a tournament. I see where he is registered with Seiei kan with a 5th dan rank.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
twendkata71 said:
I believe that I have met him before. There is nothing on his website about a tournament. I see where he is registered with Seiei kan with a 5th dan rank.

I was surprised there was nothing about the comp, too. I have the flyer; but, I'm a bit forgetful first thing in the morning :)

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics from the AKJU Nationals.

Left to right, Christian, myself and Allyson

Attachments

• $AKJU Nats.jpg
    $AKJU Nats.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 181
  • $100_2696.jpe
    $100_2696.jpe
    49.9 KB · Views: 224

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hanshi Annarino's secretary is going to mail me a copy of the flyer for the Zanesville tourney. I am not going to make Annarino's fall tourney this Sunday. I have to work.

I was surprised there was nothing about the comp, too. I have the flyer; but, I'm a bit forgetful first thing in the morning :)

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I see on Annarino's web site that the 1st Bankok Cup was a great success. Congradulations to all who went and won.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've heard a rumor that this tournament, unlike the Irish Cup, might move from country to country in the future.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
That would be neat. With the current political climate in Thailand that would not surprise me. We held the Irish Cup here in the US one time, but it has stayed in Ireland since. I still thing that the AKJU should have its own world championships. But, that takes more money.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess there were some people from India and Nepal at the Thai tourney, and they expressed interest in the competition being held in their respective countries. Still in the talking phase, from what I hear.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
One of George Anderson's Kwanmukan instructors has a large organization in Nepal. They had an international tournament there last year. That does sound interesting, but there is a lot of political turmoil in both of those countries. I would say that India would be the best place.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is anyone attending the Annarino tourney on the 18th? He seems to think I should compete at that one. He's encouraging my daughter to, at least, compete kata, as well.

Flyer

Latest Discussions