Knockouts

RussianAngel1356

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi =] i've looked everywhere but didnt find an exact precise answer to my question : are knockouts allowed in ITF taekwon-do? As far as i know in WTF taekwon-do knockouts are ALLOWED if they were done with a foot, but if with a hand than that's argumental but what about ITF.. can someone please answer me?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Knockouts are considered excessive power, and can lead to a minus points and/or disqualification, depending on the circumstances, the referee, and the level of competition; greater force is allowed at higher levels of competition. It is against the rules to deliberately attempt a knockout, but if an opponent is already teetering from previous strikes, it can happen within the rules... but it's iffy, and I wouldn't recommend it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been to ITF styles of tournaments and they had modify rules where BB's where aloud to knock there opponets out.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is always best to check with the tournament officials on what they allow in that particular tournament

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's also one of the major differences between ITF and WTF sparring. WTF sparring came out of KTA sparring, which evolved out of Kwan fighting before unification. Even during KTA sparring in the 60's, hard contact and knockouts were a common occurance. I'm not sure why ITF sparring went in the direction it did. That also would undoubtably be a roadblock to unification of the two.

Latest Discussions