Bag work

ProTaekwondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How many people here train a lot of on heavy bags? Personally I put on boxing gloves and hit either a 100lb Everlast bag or a Thai style bag.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a whole lot but some.

You have to modify your technique a bit I think...it's also good, shows me flaws in my delivery, like bend wrists and stuff...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use the Heavy bag once in the while. It gives me a different feel when I kick it and it helps me develop power along with speed. Learning to develop a good punch and some open hand techniques has a different feel on the big bag but I enjoy those work outs because i defiantly can feel my mistakes.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like em for 30 and 60 seconds reps. of hitting and delievery as many kicks or punches as I can. It is mainly a way of cardio training for me these days, but like others have said it does give a different feel when hitting them.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have an XXL Wavemaster in my back yard that I hit often. I boxed for so long that I separated my hands from my kicking combinations. So now when I kick I feel akward. I need to work on it to re-integrate them together again.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to routinely do 30 minutes on the heavybag at least once per week; a big canvas one attached to the floor. What a great workout!

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I prefer one or more Centry standalone bags. I put 200 lb of sand in the bottom for support. If I want animation I use moving van rollers (for moving refigerators.)

I don't like heavy bags unless I need to work on pure power. The moving bags that give some are much better on one's joints.

Oh, and one of those bags is a "Bob". He wears a t-shirt to!

Deaf

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not as much as I used to, but I do try to get on the bag for a few minutes every week.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to do more bagwork when I practiced at the Y, because they had one. The new facility I attend for now doesn't have one and it's killing me.
I focused on back side kicks, sliding side kicks, and roundhouse kicks. Broke the chains holding it three times. The fitness personnel just loved me!

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
miss working on a bag...it majorly gets me in a trance..i can spend hours playing around or freaking out/practicing combos...

Latest Discussions