JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You dont know the half of it dude.

Questionable knife defenses

Stick defense

the drill they use to make you think your existing training wont work on the streets

Youll notice that there is no liveness to any of these

How to use the frame to attack
Wow that is terrible.
My thought process in dealing with a knife is how not to get stabbed or slice more than twice. I don't want the attacker to have multiple to reset, so he or she can have another opportunity to stab or slice me with the knife.

The multi-attacker drill was horrible. I guess people don't kick from around is way. The guy in the back should have been rocking that spine and those kidneys. Not one of them threw an upper cut which is normally what happens when people start to turtle.

To each his own I guess.

veritasAequitas

Green Belt
Reaction score
The multi-attacker drill was horrible. I guess people don't kick from around is way. The guy in the back should have been rocking that spine and those kidneys. Not one of them threw an upper cut which is normally what happens when people start to turtle.

To each his own I guess.

Thats not covered, you're told to only Punch to the head as that's what street fighters do.

The uppercut defence is to put an elbow in the way.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thats not covered, you're told to only Punch to the head as that's what street fighters do.
Yes that's what they do, but unfortunately that's not all that they do. If that's their reasoning for the over commitment to that guard then it's not a good one. But I guess people enjoy their videos and buying their products

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's silly , very little in the world is proven, you don't know that your car will start in the morning, you don't know that your computer will switch on and you definitely don't know that your cheese sandwich won't kill you.

Competition bjj, only has a 50% success rate, so it's proven not to work half the time, that is a bad system

I don't think existentialism is a great way to practically function.

So while my car may not work it is at least based on theory's that do.

While bjj may fail in competition. It is based on theories that are tested.

What you are suggesting has been asked in a theological theological argument. I will hunt down the video.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think existentialism is a great way to practically function.

So while my car may not work it is at least based on theory's that do.

While bjj may fail in competition. It is based on theories that are tested.

What you are suggesting has been asked in a theological theological argument. I will hunt down the video.

if your car doesn't work, then theories or at least the,application of them are wrong, if your bjj doesn't work, it doesn't work, the theories or the application of them are wrong.

claiming its based on sound science when it has at best only a,50% success rate is just optimistic in the,extreme, they wouldn't,sell cars that only work half the time

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That the percentage of success is likely higher if you have stress tested and have applied on resisting opponents.

So objectively does it give me an advantage yes , otherwise why do systems of fighting exist at all?

How does an untrained person defend a tackle? or being mounted? the answer is they unusually don't and lose.

Case in point, even so much as knowing not to turn your back and bridge out would have helped this guy.
well most,systems are useless, they exist to use against others in a rule based contest, why do you think heavy weight champs have even bigger minders who generaly are not boxers, ? People who have learned to fight by actually fighting have by defintion stress tested. The,skills

The guy in the vid is out numbered and out muscles, the only skill that would have saved him, is a good 400 m time, are you serious claiming if you were,similarly disadvantages, your bjj skills would have saved you a beating

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
if your car doesn't work, then theories or at least the,application of them are wrong, if your bjj doesn't work, it doesn't work, the theories or the application of them are wrong.

claiming its based on sound science when it has at best only a,50% success rate is just optimistic in the,extreme, they wouldn't,sell cars that only work half the time

Your entire argument is fundamentally flawed.

A car (as said) is based on sound theories that are proven to work.

If you go out in the morning and it doesn't start, that doesn't mean the theory is wrong or the application is wrong - it means it's broken.

My Land Rover is 46 years old. If it doesn't start tomorrow morning it hasn't suddenly switched theoretical implementation of ideas that it's used successfully for almost half a century - it's broken. The most likely reason for any car to suddenly not start one day would be a flat battery, which is actually the least 'car' part present and most likely down to user error (leaving lights on or similar).

I can only make an assumption about your 50% success rate theory being that in BJJ competition there is one winner and one loser per match, hence 50% success (the winner) and 50% fail (the loser).

So, compare that to car racing - say there are 20 cars competing, there will be one winner. That's actually a 5% success rate and a 95% failure rate.

So no, they don't make cars that only work half the time - they make cars that only 'work' (using the only logical explanation of your comparison) at best 5% of the time.

Then, you could race a Mini against a Maserati. As long as the Mas doesn't break it's going to have a 100% success rate.

Don't get a Mini, they never ever work...

Now race that Mas against a Jeep.

In mud.

Oops, don't get a Maserati, they never ever work.

I'm making this assumption because put a BJJer against a boxer, but only use BJJ rules - that boxer will get wiped out so BJJ will have a 100% success rate.

Now switch rulesets - the boxer will win every time.

So, unless you have some other fantastical notion that lets you dream of 50% I say again - your argument is fundamentally flawed.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

But you said cars might not work. You can't sell cars on that basis either.

Of course our society functions on the basis cars work because they mostly do. And that is because the science is sound. Eg. Science works bitches.

The 50% success rate for BJJ is incorrect. You are looking at every match one wins one looses. And therefore get your 50%.

But that is not how you interparate data.

So far KFM has no method of testing and runs counter to the trends set by BJJ which does test.
images

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well most,systems are useless, they exist to use against others in a rule based contest, why do you think heavy weight champs have even bigger minders who generaly are not boxers, ? People who have learned to fight by actually fighting have by defintion stress tested. The,skills

The guy in the vid is out numbered and out muscles, the only skill that would have saved him, is a good 400 m time, are you serious claiming if you were,similarly disadvantages, your bjj skills would have saved you a beating

I have done body guard work. Sorry what was your assumption again?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But you said cars might not work. You can't sell cars on that basis either.

Of course our society functions on the basis cars work because they mostly do. And that is because the science is sound. Eg. Science works bitches.

The 50% success rate for BJJ is incorrect. You are looking at every match one wins one looses. And therefore get your 50%.

But that is not how you interparate data.

So far KFM has no method of testing and runs counter to the trends set by BJJ which does test.
images
If bJj,was based on good science ever bJj,match would be a draw

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By that reasoning (and your previous comparison) so would every car race.
All cars Arnt, the same, all bjj, should be, so yes if Mechanical science was the defining factor all races between identical cars should be a draw

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
All cars Arnt, the same, all bjj, should be, so yes if Mechanical science was the defining factor all races between identical cars should be a draw

But there are tolerances and materialistic differences in every mechanical assembly, so even between two 'identical' cars one will perform slightly differently than the other even though the mechanical science is the same. Look at single make race series' - they all use the same car built to the same spec yet they don't all cross the line together. Or even F1, team mates (usually) use the same cars built from the same parts and one beats the other.

No two people are identical, so there's always going to be a set of advantages and disadvantages between two people using BJJ (or karate, or tkd, or street fighting) - whoever can play up their advantages while overcoming their disadvantages (and at the same time overcoming their opponent's advantages and using their disadvantages) will win.

In the single make race series it's designed so the driver (and support team) is the deciding factor, the car itself is supposed to have no influence. They're all given the same tools and the one that can use them the best wins.

In BJJ (or any other art) everyone is theoretically given the same tools and whoever can use them the best wins.

You got any more flawed reasoning to offer?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But there are tolerances and materialistic differences in every mechanical assembly, so even between two 'identical' cars one will perform slightly differently than the other even though the mechanical science is the same. Look at single make race series' - they all use the same car built to the same spec yet they don't all cross the line together. Or even F1, team mates (usually) use the same cars built from the same parts and one beats the other.

No two people are identical, so there's always going to be a set of advantages and disadvantages between two people using BJJ (or karate, or tkd, or street fighting) - whoever can play up their advantages while overcoming their disadvantages (and at the same time overcoming their opponent's advantages and using their disadvantages) will win.

In the single make race series it's designed so the driver (and support team) is the deciding factor, the car itself is supposed to have no influence. They're all given the same tools and the one that can use them the best wins.

In BJJ (or any other art) everyone is theoretically given the same tools and whoever can use them the best wins.

You got any more flawed reasoning to offer?

Well yes, exactly, who wins in a single make race isn't down to the science of car design, it's down to the attributes of the driver( and others) so the winner in a bJj,match is the person with the best physical attributes, then it's clear that any comparison made between bjj, and DL, is also mostly dependent on the physical attibutes of the person, and not as some are suggesting that one is much superior to the other because of science

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well yes, exactly, who wins in a single make race isn't down to the science of car design, it's down to the attributes of the driver( and others) so the winner in a bJj,match is the person with the best physical attributes, then it's clear that any comparison made between bjj, and DL, is also mostly dependent on the physical attibutes of the person, and not as some are suggesting that one is much superior to the other because of science

It's not always the person with the best physical attributes who will win - it's the one who can best apply the attributes they have.

But that's a different comparison.

BJJ vs DL is giving the two people a different set of tools.

A person who is stronger and faster won't necessarily win if they don't know how to apply that strength and speed.

Teach someone to only protect their head because that's the only target in a street fight - then see what happens if they turtle and get an elbow to the lower spine followed by a leg sweep and a restomp to the groin.

Poor tools, poor science, poor outcome.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your quoting science again, there is no science, just opinions and anecdotal evidence,how you apply an attributes is it's self an attribute. just like our car driver needs a coOl head to go with his reflexs

Fighting systems don't exist with out the attributes of the people who use them, to say one is better, with out some sort of measure of the person using it is BAD science.
If I out drive a Porsche in my ford( as I have) that doesn't mean Ford's are the better car,

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I out drive a Porsche in my ford( as I have) that doesn't mean Ford's are the better car,

Depends what you consider better really, chances are your ford has a bigger boot than a Porsche and uses less fuel, it's likely easier to park too - so it's a better car for shopping.

And if a kenpo practitioner gets beaten with a 'no touch knockout' it doesn't mean that kenpo is bad.

But, for racing (fighting) we can look scientifically and say that the Porsche (kenpo) is better than the ford (no touch system).

We can also say that the Porsche you allegedly outdrove was being driven by someone who couldn't really be bothered trying to race some numpty in a clattery rusty old ford...

Same with BJJ vs DL - we can look scientifically at the processes taught and evaluate which system has the greater likelihood of success.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends what you consider better really, chances are your ford has a bigger boot than a Porsche and uses less fuel, it's likely easier to park too - so it's a better car for shopping.

And if a kenpo practitioner gets beaten with a 'no touch knockout' it doesn't mean that kenpo is bad.

But, for racing (fighting) we can look scientifically and say that the Porsche (kenpo) is better than the ford (no touch system).

We can also say that the Porsche you allegedly outdrove was being driven by someone who couldn't really be bothered trying to race some numpty in a clattery rusty old ford...

Same with BJJ vs DL - we can look scientifically at the processes taught and evaluate which system has the greater likelihood of success.
Hang on youVe swerved this into no touch system, that's not at all included in my rational, bjj, V dl,is the discusion

In it wasn't a clatter th old ford, though I have Annoyed the heLl out of nearly new 2l bmw by blowing then off, in a veryClattery,old ford, iMnot up to racing porches in a ten year old focus, as good as I am, it was a Xr 4x4, That though mature wasn't at all clattery,that I used to see porches off in, the only thing that ever got away from me On a bendy road,was a Also mature,Audi quatro

Last edited: