Kettebells for strength

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, I agree. My point was just that someone with strong enough shoulders might injure themselves because they don't recognize they're over-stressing the wrist.
its 7nlikely that any one has achieved strong shoulders with out also increasing their wrist strength in proportion. it's more than possible that a begginer has weak shoulder and even weaker wrist. but that's then an issue with any exercise not just kettle bells and is part of the ongoing issue of people selecting weights/ resistance that are to big for them. I see any number of people at the gym with wrist and knees strapped up to lift a big weight and 5hink, it's to heavy put it down and stop showing off before you injure yourself

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, maybe that's what I need to do. I rather suck at jumping an actual rope.
I used to jump rope a lot. It is one of the best coordination and conditioning tools out there IMHO. But even on our padded mats it kills my knees now. Anyone out there have the same problem and have any ideas around it?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm, you are going to make a shaped rock with wood tools. Make one and post a picture.
a black and decker is an electric tool made of steel plastic and copper, I'm unaware that mine hqe any wooden components. perhaps wooden drill are an American thing ? but I though they went out when the stone age arrived

OP
G

Glenn67

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Usually it is just from the repetitive movement of the kettlebell into the clean and jerk. Not the impact but the movement of the object. Many people's wrist suffer during that movement especially when you start using heavier weights.
I twist my wrist doing single overhead swings to avoid smashing it into my wrist.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Skipping rope is a great exercise. Not only for cardio but calf's, ankles, it helps build quickness on the feet, explosive footwork, focus, and timing. It's a great warmup, excellent active rest between rounds, and active cool down after the heavy workout.

If you are pretending to use a rope then it won't help your focus or timing.
Danny, correct if I am wrong but I believe I read that you have knee replacements. Do you still jump rope? I would love to start back but it really aggravates my knees. Have you figured a way around this?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
a black and decker is an electric tool made of steel plastic and copper, I'm unaware that mine hqe any wooden components. perhaps wooden drill are an American thing ? but I though they went out when the stone age arrived
Dude, I said they are made for woodworking, not what they are made of. Sometimes your comments just amaze me. That is not a good thing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its 7nlikely that any one has achieved strong shoulders with out also increasing their wrist strength in proportion. it's more than possible that a begginer has weak shoulder and even weaker wrist. but that's then an issue with any exercise not just kettle bells and is part of the ongoing issue of people selecting weights/ resistance that are to big for them. I see any number of people at the gym with wrist and knees strapped up to lift a big weight and 5hink, it's to heavy put it down and stop showing off before you injure yourself
I'm not sure how it would happen, either. It's much easier to strengthen the wrists without the shoulder. But then again, I see a lot of folks lifting weights using the lifting straps more often than they should. That probably could lead to the shoulders developing more than the wrists. Using isolation machines (Nautilus and such) could probably do it, too - the shoulder exercises sometimes don't include the wrists, at all.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dude, I said they are made for woodworking, not what they are made of. Sometimes your comments just amaze me. That is not a good thing.
no you said " wood tools" not wood working tools. and my black and decker has a masonry function in built. the last one I had that didn't was from the 1960s

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it would happen, either. It's much easier to strengthen the wrists without the shoulder. But then again, I see a lot of folks lifting weights using the lifting straps more often than they should. That probably could lead to the shoulders developing more than the wrists. Using isolation machines (Nautilus and such) could probably do it, too - the shoulder exercises sometimes don't include the wrists, at all.
there not much you can do to compensate for bad practise and inflated ego

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to jump rope a lot. It is one of the best coordination and conditioning tools out there IMHO.
If you train wrestling, jumping role may not be a good idea.

When you

- jump rope, you try to raise your gravity center.
- wrestle, you try to sink your gravity center.

The more that you jump rope, the easier that your opponent can take you down.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you train wrestling, jumping role may not be a good idea.

When you

- jump rope, you try to raise your gravity center.
- wrestle, you try to sink your gravity center.

The more that you jump rope, the easier that your opponent can take you down.
I can see your point, but is that actually true? If two wrestlers both train concepts like rooting, keeping weight underside, etc. (however those are expressed), and one jumps rope while the other does not, will there really be a functional difference?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
no you said " wood tools" not wood working tools. and my black and decker has a masonry function in built. the last one I had that didn't was from the 1960s
You thinking of tools literally made out of wood when you referenced Black & Decker makes me wonder what century are from.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You thinking of tools literally made out of wood when you referenced Black & Decker makes me wonder what century are from.
you say wood tools, it's not my fault if you dont know the differance between 5hose and wood working tools. I have some wood tools, that's tool made out of wood, they were quite common in the middle of the last century

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can see your point, but is that actually true? If two wrestlers both train concepts like rooting, keeping weight underside, etc. (however those are expressed), and one jumps rope while the other does not, will there really be a functional difference?
It's true. If you like to jump, you are not very good of sinking. Your throw resistance will be weak. In CMA, the term is called "float".

If you can make your body to act like a pile of wet mud, it will be very difficult for your opponent to throw you.

My Shuai Chiao teacher told me not to run for the same reason. I did my running any way (against his teaching).

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's true. If you like to jump, you are not very good of sinking. Your throw resistance will be weak. In CMA, the term is called "float".

If you can make your body to act like a pile of wet mud, it will be very difficult for your opponent to throw you.

My Shuai Chiao teacher told me not to run for the same reason. I did my running any way (against his teaching).
I'm pretty good at jumping (okay, less so as my knees get worse, but still). And I'm pretty good at sinking into resistance. They're two different things. Just like squatting doesn't seem to affect my ability to run, nor bicep curls my ability to do push-ups.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you say wood tools, it's not my fault if you dont know the differance between 5hose and wood working tools. I have some wood tools, that's tool made out of wood, they were quite common in the middle of the last century
You are, again, trying to require people to use the exact definition and usage you have in mind. That's not how communication works. Ever.

D

Deleted member 39746

I have been meaning to try out some kettle bell exercises, need to get enough room to store a bell of a weight i can easier lift though.

Kind of went off from using it, one because its heavy and two i didnt want to throw my back out.

The program i was looking it is mainly for cardio though, and my intent was to go to it to learn technique for kettle bells to do them at home.

Latest Discussions