Kettebells for strength

Glenn67

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm 52 and want to put kettlebells for strength into my workout.I train 2 to 3 times a week in BJJ.Do any older guys here train at the same time with kettlebells?I'm looking for like a 2 day a week routine to add on without wearing myself out and still making strength gains.

OP
G

Glenn67

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm roughly your age and I work with kettle bells 2 to 3 times a week. They are great for strength development!
I jump rope now 5 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest.I think I'm going to have to pick kettlebells or jump rope.Doing them both together leaves me pretty tired.I noticed in training many guys are stronger and I need a little extra strength.I just started a couple of weeks ago so maybe I have'nt given myself enough time to get used to it..

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 52 and want to put kettlebells for strength into my workout.I train 2 to 3 times a week in BJJ.Do any older guys here train at the same time with kettlebells?I'm looking for like a 2 day a week routine to add on without wearing myself out and still making strength gains.
I'm 3 years younger. Kettlebells are my preferred strength training now. The exercises using them recruit more support/stability muscles, which helps prevent more of the injuries I'm prone to these days.

I've found a couple of routines I like. My current favorite is from an app I have on my iPad. If you want, I'll dig it up and list the exercises in it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I jump rope now 5 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest.I think I'm going to have to pick kettlebells or jump rope.Doing them both together leaves me pretty tired.I noticed in training many guys are stronger and I need a little extra strength.I just started a couple of weeks ago so maybe I have'nt given myself enough time to get used to it..
Those are two different kinds of exercise. The rope is mostly cardio-pulmonary training. The kettlebells are mostly strength training (if you use them to that end). I don't think that needs to be an either-or proposition. Maybe step back the rope a little (3 rounds?) to leave more stamina for the strength portion. When the 3 rounds gets easier, add the next back in, and continue. Or just reduce the rounds' duration.

OP
G

Glenn67

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm 3 years younger. Kettlebells are my preferred strength training now. The exercises using them recruit more support/stability muscles, which helps prevent more of the injuries I'm prone to these days.

I've found a couple of routines I like. My current favorite is from an app I have on my iPad. If you want, I'll dig it up and list the exercises in it.
Yes I would like to see the list of things that work for you.there are so many different exercises.thanks

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I would like to see the list of things that work for you.there are so many different exercises.thanks
Two different sets I use.

This one's more basic/general:
  • KB swing
  • Clean
  • Clean and press
  • Goblet squat
  • High pull
  • Thrust squat
  • Figure-8 to hold
  • Body pass
  • Hand to hand cleans
  • KB Lunge pass

This one's more strength-oriented:
  • 2-hand Anyhow
  • Alternate floor press
  • Alternating clean and press
  • Alternating standing rows
  • Contracted rows
  • Crucifix press
  • Double clean and press
  • Double cleans
  • Deadlifts
  • High pulls
  • KB pushups
  • Squats (usually goblet squats)
  • Stepping lunge
  • Swings

OP
G

Glenn67

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks and how many sets are done for the workout?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
64 here and do kettlebell training 4-5 times a week as a part of my daily training.
Besides the exercises already posted I strongly recommend Turkish Get Ups. Great core strengthening for your BJJ.

OP
G

Glenn67

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Turkish get ups are hard but I see it as one of the best for it.how long is your workout and how many sets do you do? Trying to get a starting guideline.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Turkish get ups are hard but I see it as one of the best for it.how long is your workout and how many sets do you do? Trying to get a starting guideline.
I don't do just a kettlebell workout. Strength training is always incorporated in my daily training. I'm using a 52lb Kettlebell for almost all my exercises. I usually do 3 reps per side for 3-5 sets. Go Slow. Learn to do the technique properly with little to no weight first.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
64 here and do kettlebell training 4-5 times a week as a part of my daily training.
Besides the exercises already posted I strongly recommend Turkish Get Ups. Great core strengthening for your BJJ.
I love Get-Ups. One of the most practical exercises there is. I use them as a warmup and cool down for every strength session. I typically do a setsof 3, then 2, then 1 (each side).

I’ve got an adjustable kettlebell, but I don’t use it for much more than get-ups. I’ve just gotten back into strength training after too long a lay-off. I’ve got to utilize it more.

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kettle bells are great tools! It's been a while but I will probably buy 1 or 2 for home use. Basic kettle bell swings was enough for me. Definitely built up my cardio/stamina in general.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you tube has lots and lots of kettle bell work outs, pick one that suits your goals, as with any exercise you need to pick if your doing low weight , high reps, low reps high weight, some where in between or all three.

in essence, there great for swinging about, so lweighted full body movement, so just swing one around in every plane of movement you can think of, but you can use them for any weight training where you can use dumb bells, or nearly any body weight exercise that you want to add more resistance to, hold one whilst do squats or lunges, tie one to you belt when doing dips or pull ups, or put one in a rucksack when doing press up or hill sprints. your only limited by you imagination.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I would like to see the list as well.

OP
G

Glenn67

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
you tube has lots and lots of kettle bell work outs, pick one that suits your goals, as with any exercise you need to pick if your doing low weight , high reps, low reps high weight, some where in between or all three.

in essence, there great for swinging about, so lweighted full body movement, so just swing one around in every plane of movement you can think of, but you can use them for any weight training where you can use dumb bells, or nearly any body weight exercise that you want to add more resistance to, hold one whilst do squats or lunges, tie one to you belt when doing dips or pull ups, or put one in a rucksack when doing press up or hill sprints. your only limited by you imagination.
I just seen the 5 best for BJJ and think I will start with that and build on it.I still jump rope because it took a while to learn it and I don't want to put it down right yet.I just want to do it all and have to not overtrain myself,thanks

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks and how many sets are done for the workout?
That depends the approach you want to take. I do them as intervals, so usually just as many as I can do in 30 or 60 seconds (different weights, depending upon the interval, obviously), with 10-20 second rest periods between. If I want to do them as sets, I shorten the interval and repeat the sequence (rather than doing 3 sets of one exercise, it's 3 trips through the sequence of exercises).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two different sets I use.

This one's more basic/general:
  • KB swing
  • Clean
  • Clean and press
  • Goblet squat
  • High pull
  • Thrust squat
  • Figure-8 to hold
  • Body pass
  • Hand to hand cleans
  • KB Lunge pass

This one's more strength-oriented:
  • 2-hand Anyhow
  • Alternate floor press
  • Alternating clean and press
  • Alternating standing rows
  • Contracted rows
  • Crucifix press
  • Double clean and press
  • Double cleans
  • Deadlifts
  • High pulls
  • KB pushups
  • Squats (usually goblet squats)
  • Stepping lunge
  • Swings

I saved your list. I know this may be asking a lot but can you give a brief explanation of the exercises? Many of the names I am unfamiliar with.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree. I don't have it in my standard workout, but we do some form of Turkish get-up (either with kettlebell, or modified with medicine ball or some other handy weight) as part of class warm-ups. Good exercise for the shoulder stabilizers, too.