Kenpo Justsu?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
There is a guy here in Hawaii that has a pretty good following on the east coast. I know few of his students post here. Here is his website http://www.kempojutsu.net his name is Kimo Ferreria he move really good but I don't necessarilly agree with everything he teaches. Now that doesn't mean that it is bad it is just diffrent from what I have learned.

V/R
Rick
I agree, When I trained with him for a few months I was struck by how different things were from the AK I was introduced to. 'Way too much emphasis on kicking', as I recall thinking, but when you watch him move, it all seems to make sense. He had the utmost control for what he was doing, and that is all I can say. Cuz I gotta run...
Sean

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
There is a guy here in Hawaii that has a pretty good following on the east coast. I know few of his students post here. Here is his website http://www.kempojutsu.net his name is Kimo Ferreria he move really good but I don't necessarilly agree with everything he teaches. Now that does't mean that it is bad it is just diffrent from what I have learned.

V/R
Rick

Hi Folks!
I have had the pleasure of working with Prof. Ferreira for a few years now and I am a member of the "Kempojutsu Kai" as well. I have always enjoyed training with "Prof. Kimo" because of his diversified kenpo background and his constant search for more kenpo knowledge and history. He has 3 video tapes out commercially and we are now offering 2 seminars that he did in new england on DVD on his website shortly. Whether performing techniques from Prof.Chow's lineage,Walter Godin's style [of which he is a 5th degree] or the various influences that comprise "Kempojutsu", He is a joy to work with and a gifted instructor!
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

OP
M

MisterMike

KENPOJOE said:
Hi Folks!
I have had the pleasure of working with Prof. Ferreira for a few years now and I am a member of the "Kempojutsu Kai" as well. I have always enjoyed training with "Prof. Kimo" because of his diversified kenpo background and his constant search for more kenpo knowledge and history. He has 3 video tapes out commercially and we are now offering 2 seminars that he did in new england on DVD on his website shortly. Whether performing techniques from Prof.Chow's lineage,Walter Godin's style [of which he is a 5th degree] or the various influences that comprise "Kempojutsu", He is a joy to work with and a gifted instructor!
KENPOJOE

Hello Mr. Rebelo.

I checked out your site from your profile and saw that we've crossed paths on several occasions. I was at this same seminar in Woonsocket.

http://members.tripod.com/KENPOJOE/speakmanandrebelo3.html

In fact, I probably have the same photo of you two in my own album ;)

I also saw that you have met up with the Nindo ryu. Have you also trained with Mr. Wigginton? I believe he also studied a form of Kempo Jutsu and has worked with the Nindo ryu paractitioners as well.

Sincerely,
MisterMike

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
Hello Mr. Rebelo.

I checked out your site from your profile and saw that we've crossed paths on several occasions. I was at this same seminar in Woonsocket.

http://members.tripod.com/KENPOJOE/speakmanandrebelo3.html

In fact, I probably have the same photo of you two in my own album ;)

I also saw that you have met up with the Nindo ryu. Have you also trained with Mr. Wigginton? I believe he also studied a form of Kempo Jutsu and has worked with the Nindo ryu paractitioners as well.

Sincerely,
MisterMike
Dear Mr. Mike,
I have attended several of Mr. Speakman's appearences at Mr. Wilson's studio in woonsocket,Rhode Island and was fortunate to have interviewed him on 2 occasions for my tv show "Martial Arts Today".
I have been associated with Nindo ryu since the mid 1980's and trained directly with Carlos Febres for many years in the various styles under the Nindo Ryu banner,eventually being placed in charge of the Kobujutsu division.
I'm not familiar with Mr.Wigginton. I'll have to ask others in Nindo Ryu to find out more about this person.
KENPOJOE

OP
M

MisterMike

Yes, thanks! And good luck on your research.

Mike

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
At my dojo we also practice a belnd of okinawa kempo and vee-jitsu. Right not many out there. Then it depends on what kind of kempo, what type of jujitu you study. striking-throwing-locking, and lots of footwork.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
kempo is not a style, it is a philosophy of studying, the term jujutsu refers to a method ju-to yield, gentle....jutsu-art, method.

so in essence kempo jujutsu would mean that the style of jujutsu is studied or practiced with the tempered mind of the kempo philosopher. kempo is not a style, it means study.
Ansolutely positively correct. Of course that hasn't kept some from thinking it is, and even creating their own "version" of what is not now nor has ever been an actual "style."

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Ansolutely positively correct. Of course that hasn't kept some from thinking it is, and even creating their own "version" of what is not now nor has ever been an actual "style."
thanks doc, some people said i was full of BS for making that comment.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
thanks doc, some people said i was full of BS for making that comment.
Is there a specific method for executing the stances, a right or wrong way?
How about Kick, blocks and punchs is there a method you teach to transmit the idea of the techniques?
Are there specific responses to attacks thrown at you??

Are there things you do not do??? Could you go from a karate Sparring match (point, full contact don't matter) and enter into a Judo Match the next weekend??
You might be welll rounded, you might be more inclusive and more in depth but you are teching a certain method or style of doing things

OP
M

MisterMike

BlackCatBonz said:
the word kempo goes back to india, and it was also used to describe a philosophy behind the empty handed style used there...vajra mukti.

The way I read this is, the style of fighting in India was Vajra Mukti, and the philosophy of that style was also called kempo. So are you saying it was a style and a philosophy?

My understanding is the fighting method (style) vajra mukti (Indian) became chuan fa (Chinese) which became kempo (Japanese).

Still digging through the Bodhisattva Warriors....

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
The way I read this is, the style of fighting in India was Vajra Mukti, and the philosophy of that style was also called kempo. So are you saying it was a style and a philosophy?

My understanding is the fighting method (style) vajra mukti (Indian) became chuan fa (Chinese) which became kempo (Japanese).

Still digging through the Bodhisattva Warriors....
The idea being that while most people look at the term and see the term Varja Mutki (lighting trapped in fist) meaning the strenght of the fist or punch. It also has the connotation of something precious held in your hand,(a scroll curls inward to protect the interior, as the hand curls inward to protect)
Of course back then life was dirty, brutal and short. A warrior that spent to much philosophizing probably found life even shorter!!

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
You might be welll rounded, you might be more inclusive and more in depth but you are teching a certain method or style of doing things
I always thought style was our personal "artistic expression" of kenpo; and that the system was what was taught (Parker's system, Tracy's system, etc).

I suppose we could say "kenpo is a style" and be correct if we meant that it's a common branch on the martial arts tree.

Please help me understand the correct meaning of style and system?

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
todd, i am simply stating that the term "kempo" represents the philosophy behind the art. now, are you implying that the warriors of days gone by lacked sufficient intelligence to philosophize, or was it just not worth their time to pursue higher thought because they were "expendable"?

OP
M

MisterMike

I found this article interesting.

http://www.maxpages.com/hakudaryu/Kempo_History_China_to_Japan

Since kempo has such a long history, I would have to agree that when someone uses the term Kempo, it should hint towards their method of training more than the actual techniques. Some flavors of kempo may look more Chinese vs. those that look Japanese and Okinawan.

"So-and-so's kempo" or "such-and-such ryu kempo" may look completely different than the other guy's. It just depends where they got their training philosophy from and what other arts were mixed in to their background.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
todd, i am simply stating that the term "kempo" represents the philosophy behind the art. now, are you implying that the warriors of days gone by lacked sufficient intelligence to philosophize, or was it just not worth their time to pursue higher thought because they were "expendable"?
I think one of the common mistakes is to think people long ago thought like us. Survival was much more of a issue than today. Not jusy war, but disease and famine (My great great granfather fought in the civil war-6 died in combat, 9 died from injuries recieved and 196 died from disease).

Again a warrior by definition was to fight, protect and conquer. While the Samurai/mystic gets a lot of press, most samurai were not philosophizers, City Samurai that surrounded and fawned over the imperial court, were probably better at philosophizing, those in outlaying districts probably less so. Why, cuz the country Samurai spent alot of time fighting

I cannot judge intelligence of anyone, yet reading itself was a rare priveledge back then, so education comes into question.

By definition there is a certain "expendability" to any Warrior/Soldier, why would you put someone irreplaceable on the front lines?

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the point i am trying to make is this.......just because someone is a soldier does not mean that they have to give up higher learning. heck, a lot of kids join the military to get a free college education, but they still have to go to iraq when the commander in chief says so.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes r=that is true that in modern times many join up for a education=actually they already can read, write and do basic math, back then even the ownership of books was a rare znd treasured item. There was no education system as we know it in place.

Most of the writing from the samurai era come from generals and higher, not so much the "grunts"

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kempo is the Japanese pronounciation of quanfa. This can be translated as "fist law." But the use of "law," is related to the Buddhist principle of "dharma," which is a kind of natural law that proceeds from the nature of things and more specifically, innate human morality, which is considered to be the same as Mahayana Buddhist morality (when it's your term, you get to say this kind of stuff:).

The "law" Kanji probably makes the use of "jutsu," slightly redundant, unless you are talking about Kempo as a style of a type of jutsu, like Kempo Jujutsu. A few styles have preferred to use a similar sounding character for "moral principle" -- which is romanized as jitsu -- which, given that some schools perfer the "jitsu" spelling for "method" (which used to be proper romanization), leads to even more confusion.

So Kempojutsu sounds a little wierd to me. Kempo Jujutsu is a conventional usage.

As for kempo/kenpo being a philosophy . . . maybe. Certainly, I consider my art to have given me a powerful set of analytical tools, but they are not the same tools as EPAK. In that they would be different martial arts. Also, I would think that some kenpo/kempo arts are more locked in to a relationship with their syllabus.