EPAK Slapping from another Systems Viewpoint.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's an article I found this morning.. what are your thoughts and comments?

Amazing how EPAK crosses into other Systems :)

*Author*
Jeremy Bays is an experienced martial artist and writer who holds a black belt in Chun Do Kwan Taekwon-do,
Chinese Kempo jiu-jitsu, and is currently working in Kali and Jeet Kune Do. He lives in Farmland, Indiana with his wife and two daughters.

Slap! Slap! Slap! This is a sound that you will hear upon entering into an American Kenpo, Shaolin Long Fist, or various other styles of karate and kung fu's class. People seem to be slapping themselves while performing the techniques of this system. Have you ever wondered what they were really doing? Have you ever wondered if the martial artists themselves knew what they were doing?

In this article I will attempt to give ONE possible explanation f or this odd looking movement. Please understand that there are as many more explanations as there are stars in the heavens. This is not THE ANSWER for this rebounding motion, but instead it is MY ANSWER.

The Technique:

Observe a high ranking American Kenpo stylist and you might notice this person will appear to slap themselves, usually on the chest area, while performing the various hand techniques of the art. One hand will go out to strike the opponent, then rebound off their body and go out and strike the attacker again. This process gets repeated at very high speeds in a movement. Please understand that there are as many more explanations as there are stars in the heavens. This is not THE ANSWER for this rebounding motion, but instead it is MY ANSWER.

The Technique:

Observe a high ranking American Kenpo stylist and you might notice this person will appear to slap themselves, usually on the chest area, while performing the various hand techniques of the art. One hand will go out to strike the opponent, then rebound off their body and go out and strike the attacker again. This process gets repeated at very high speeds in a

To rebound the technique off the body
To minimize the harm done to the attacker (training partner)
To indicate where the technique will land on the attacker by striking yourself in the same spot
To ensure that the strike is given in a relaxed, whipping manner
Some people I spoke with had not idea why they did this motion in their forms.

My Reason for Slapping Myself:

I tend to view the martial arts from a TCM (Traditional Chinese Medical) viewpoint. I find value in the theory of Chi (Qi, Ki, parna, life-force, energy). I believe that there are several locations on the human body where the Chi can be affected. These areas are commonly called pressure points and the art of manipulating these areas can do by many names including: kyusho, dim-mak, vital point applications, hyul-dul, and a host of other names. It is from this tradition that I draw the following theory in regards to slapping yourself.

Try this simple experiment with a partner:

First, locate the pressure point called Lung One on yourself. This point is located where the arm and shoulder meet. It lies about one inch under the clavicle (collar bone) towards the arm. Press around with light, finger tip pressure until you find a painful spot. Now find the same pressure point on your partner using the same method of light, fingertip pressure.

Next, strike your partner in this area VERY LIGHTLY!!!! This strike is not a full cocked punch but instead more of a heavy push. Just give your partner a little tap and then ask them to remember the amount of pain they felt.

The next step is now to strike yourself in Lung One with a slapping motion and then rebound off that slap and strike your partner in Lung One. Again, please PLAY NICE and go not hit them hard. Ask your partner to remember the results of this strike and compare it to the first one. If you were on target the effects of the second strike (with the self slap) should be much greater.

This is due to the fact you are doing several things with this technique:

You are maintaining a 'soft body'
You are executing a whip-like strike
You are attacking a pressure point on the body (a cluster of nerves in this case)
You are 'programming' in your mind the exact location of Lung One on your partner by first striking there on yourself.
Try this out with several of your techniques to is if your results are not greatly improved. Remember, this technique is not for everyone or for every situation. This movement is greatly telegraphed if the attacker can see you slapping yourself or knows what you are doing. Only use this technique when you have the attacker in a position where they can not see you due to some obstruction in their line of sight or some movement of deception you have preformed.

Here is a good technique to try this combination on. It is the classic Delayed Sword: from American Kenpo’s curriculum.

Attacker reaches out with the right hand to grasp the collar or lapel of the defender. Defender steps back to perform a right inward block (strike) to the attackers radial nerve area.

Defender then steps into a cat stance and executes a low front snap kick to the attackers exposed abdomen, bladder, groin, or femoral artery region. This action will double the attacker over, obstructing the vision, allowing the time needed by the defender to perform the 'self-slapping' motion before the follow-up strike. The defender then executes the self-slap and strikes at a target of opportunity.

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

The comments posted seem to be quite feasible however my understanding of the slapping in Kenpoo is to overall increase power of the stike. NOt necessarily by striking the target on your body that you are also aiming to hit on your opponent.

A greater understanding of Sub Level 4 techniques and principles would assist here but I don't have this yet!!!

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... but somewhat limited article, and as he mentions, it is his interpretation, and not a bad one.

However, that being said, the "slapping" heard when training alone is often off your own body, when with a partner or opponent, hopefully most of the sound is due to your contact with HIS body. Some rebounding or launching my occur, but that is not primarily why there is a "slapping" noise.

Active v. Passive checks is another reason for the slapping noise, especially when patterning in the movement, but essentially the same as above, just with checks instead of strikes.

I have also seen, and to a lessor extent use the slapping as a timing pattern for teaching lower ranking students. I use this to make them aware of intervals between strikes and the disturbance they create in an opponent. We all know the tendency of beginners is to go as fast as they can, when they can. Major and minor notes with a syncopated, half-beat or quarter-beat timing takes some getting accustomed to.

Lets see, what else. Doc provided some info a year or so ago about slap checks off the opponent, AND OFF THE STUDENT. There was some information that supported Jeramey Bays' article, but I do not consider myself qualified to really make a statement about this either way.

It is certainly something to think about and given the lack of the author's background in American Kenpo, he was taking a stab at something Mr. Parker addressed in many articles and seminars.

Oss,
-MB

K

Karazenpo

I don't know. I totally understand the use of 'check' blocks on an opponent and agree ( I believe I once read an article in which Mr. Parker stated the slaps were the result of these checks.), but slapping YOURSELF? It may be just used as a sort of 'special effects' with no significant meaning at all. Perhaps we are looking too deep into this trying to find justification for its use. To the uninitiated or less experienced it gives the illusion of blitzing speed and power and makes for an entertaining demo but really doesn't do much of anything. Think about it. It sure sounds good though. Respectfully submitted, Shihan Joe Shuras

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is seen in the FMA also. You might find it interesting to ask about it in FMA-General!

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... are what I use the "slaps" for. When working on an opponent, I seldom have to slap myself awake. There is the slapping sound, but this is contact with the opponent, or perfectly logical use of principles of rebounding, richocheting or launching off my own body or theirs.

-MB

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
an example :)

Five Swords..Right hand slapping your left bicep into the uppercut brings that Left sword hand to the neck with excellent speed & power.. :)

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by KenpoTess

Five Swords..Right hand slapping your left bicep into the uppercut brings that Left sword hand to the neck with excellent speed & power.. :)

Not the way I do it.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

K

Karazenpo

I understand and practice the rebounding principle when utilizing blocking, Professor Cerio referred to it as "springboard" , same idea though. My point however, does it really produce more power or is it pyschological? Respectfully, Shihan Joe Shuras

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Did you read what you wrote?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Ok Clyde.. I had that Dylexic moment again.. I hear ya..

right foot
stepping in.. the double sword hands to the punch.. right hand rebounding off their arm to sword hand their throat.. pivot to forward bow for the left finger gouge.. as I step back with left foot to 4:30 my left hand slaps my right bicep *acting as a check in mid movement ...as my right uppercut makes target.. my left sword hand to the throat .. then cranes around pulling head down.. as I settle into my neutral bow..my right hammerfist to the base of the skull..

*needs to learn my right from left..

:)

P

ProfessorKenpo

Ok Clyde.. I had that Dylexic moment again.. I hear ya..

right foot
stepping in.. the double sword hands to the punch.. right hand rebounding off their arm to sword hand their throat.. pivot to forward bow for the left finger gouge.. as I step back with left foot to 4:30 my left hand slaps my right bicep *acting as a check in mid movement ...as my right uppercut makes target.. my left sword hand to the throat .. then cranes around pulling head down.. as I settle into my neutral bow..my right hammerfist to the base of the skull..

*needs to learn my right from left..

:)

That's what I was trying to tell you, duh! I was attempting to be nice but nevermind.

Clyde

R

rmcrobertson

Given what Hawaii means in kenpo, there's some interesting self-slappin' going on in the film, "Once Were Warriors." Watch the funeral scene, and what's more you get to see that clonable guy from "Star Bores," a) show us all how to order beer, and b) show us all how to handle a serious bar fight.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Karazenpo
My point however, does it really produce more power or is it pyschological?

I wonder about this as well. We do it in the FMA sometimes to whip around a stick/sword strike by slapping the bicep and I am not fully convinced that it makes a great deal of difference.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Why do you slap your own bicep? It seems that would stiffle the uppercut a bit. I recognize you are in a position to strike the throat but... Anyways we slap but we slap the return motion points higher up on the arm.
Sean

W

WhiteTiger

I fail to see any possible reason why anyone would slap themselves while executing self-defense techniques, other than improper hand motion during the transition between strikes. As for Five Swords, it must be a different variant than I have seen. The Five Swords I know all striking is done with the right hand, the left hand guards the head.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its that your body happens to be at the apex of your return motion. It sounds as if to me that you might not be as versed in recoiling; therefore, that is all your left will ever be is a check.

W

WhiteTiger

Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
Its that your body happens to be at the apex of your return motion. It sounds as if to me that you might not be as versed in recoiling; therefore, that is all your left will ever be is a check.

Well it sure sounds technical, I guess it must be correct.....

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Slapping" is an extrememly complicated science of alignment and energy managemnent and resistence tool (among many uses) that all physical activities that demand maximum anatomical efficiency utilize. Sometimes it is not always obvious, but if its missing, than alignment etc, are sacrificed.

Although some arts use it, the science of "how," when," and especially "why" seems to be lost in modern practitioners. It is found primarily in some Chinese Arts that have maintained traditional training, although the science of application seems to be missing in my experience.

It is a very large part of SubLevel Four Kenpo which emphasizes structural integrity in all movement, which is not possible without counter resistence sometimes obtained through "slapping." It is taught situationally because the variances are as numerous as there are combination of physical realtionships between one's body and an opponent.

Those who find no value in it should perhaps re-examine any available video of Ed Parker performing techniques and/or forms, and I further remind those of Mr. Parker's idea's about "wasted motion."

What's "Wasted Motion" at one knowledge level is proper execution to those who "understand."

The idea of "slapping" your nerve to correspond to an opponent's nerve is incorrect. However, many do at least understand the conservation of mechanical energy through "Rebounding." But even this is an elementary use of "slapping" as taught by and in Ed Parker' conceptual vehicle, but can be very effective in proper application.