Kenpo Associations

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Why would it be needed to have an org that has the "Godfathers" all get together and agree??
I think that the Kenpo World in general is better because people of the differences, because of the variety of off-shoots.

Just my thoughts...

Your Brother
John
I agree with this. I also agree with Mark Weiser (sorry if I spelled your name wrong). I have no problem with another Kenpo Association forming. If you don't agree, then don't join. Heck, don't even read anything about it. It will not hurt you at all. I want to say that I have nothing but respect for Mr Acord, Mr Andrews and any one else at their studios. I haven't known Mr Acord or Mr Andrews that long, but in the short time I have known them, they have shown me they are willing to address any issues and/or questions some one may have on the subject of Kenpo. That's more than I can say for some I have met in the past.

I want to say to "AcordsKenpo" or "Alex Andrews", or whatever name some one wants to use on this board, I look forward to the UKKA getting up and running.

Oh, just so there is no question, I am the same "shane" from Mr Acord's forum.

Thanks.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm...
I don't know about the rest of your 'beef' but I can tell you that I've gotten a TON of help from members in the AKKI!!! (My association, the only one I'm in any way qualified to talk about) They help with further instruction, a great willingness to help... costs are very very reasonable.
Patch? Sure. We get those, and really...they look cool. But that's the wall paper. The "Help" I get otherwise Blows me away!

Your Brother
John
Once I start my live instruction this summer, my instructor, Terry McCord wants me to join the AKKI. Good to hear that they will help me out! I also want to open up a Kenpo school here in Houston once I achieve the rank. I think that the UKKA would be a good thing to join to get the ins and outs of keeping a school open and being profitable. Everything nowadays is all about the money. Sucks for the students sometimes that an instructor just wants the money and could care less for the student. That is why I am glad to hear that Mr. Acord and his staff are starting this organization. I, like Hawkeye, Mark Weiser, and ShaneSS are students of Mr. Acord. I think this is a good thing and I dont believe that they would do this if they didnt care about the arts or the business.

Rick

White Belt
Reaction score
I think that we all may be missing one of the points of associations. If you are the head of an association, you can promote yourself and your students to higher levels. This can cause the question, is an 8th in the IKKA as good as and 8th in the Wkka or OKKA or any other alphabet soup combo we can put together. In my area alone we have the IKKfederation, AKI and the NEKKA for three to begin with. (Although these three all have a good reputation). One of the benifits of an overarching association or senior council would be to reduce potential confusion.

Rick

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rick said:
I think that we all may be missing one of the points of associations. If you are the head of an association, you can promote yourself and your students to higher levels. This can cause the question, is an 8th in the IKKA as good as and 8th in the Wkka or OKKA or any other alphabet soup combo we can put together. In my area alone we have the IKKfederation, AKI and the NEKKA for three to begin with. (Although these three all have a good reputation). One of the benifits of an overarching association or senior council would be to reduce potential confusion.

Rick
Rank above 3rd Degree Black can get very political and there are often vast differences in skill levels and experience between associations of instructors with the same high rank.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

OP
A

Acordskenpo

Rick said:
I think that we all may be missing one of the points of associations. If you are the head of an association, you can promote yourself and your students to higher levels.
Rick
The UKKA is not about rank, it is similar to a consultation firm, and the issue is about business practices and the ability to give owners/instructors the skills and abilities to operate successful studios.

The AKKI is an excellent organization, Mr. Mills embodies the mentality that was the IKKA, and has a dream that is similar to the beliefs most of us had as young belts. There is no right or wrong organization out there, they all have good and bad points, what does the "alphabet soup" of organizations out there matter, for each person, they will find the right fit, through discovery.

Alex Andrews

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
The UKKA is not about rank, it is similar to a consultation firm, and the issue is about business practices and the ability to give owners/instructors the skills and abilities to operate successful studios.

So why the "kenpo" name then? Shouldn't your organization be over-arching between styles. I am hard pressed to see kenpo-specific strategies for success that couldn't be used in any other system. NAPMA has a long established history, what do you offer different besides having "kenpo" in the name?

Lamont

PS: This is somewhat academic to me, as I don't have any intention of running a commercial studio, but I am curious.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rick said:

Rick
I don't see this 'confusion' as being that confusing. Why do we need the comparison of skill/knowledge/ability...etc from one org to another? I don't need to compare to someone of a similar rank from a different association. What's important to me is to try the best I can to rise to the standards of the association that I'm in. Comparison with another org would be very ego-based I would think; no good use. I try to measure up to the aims of my instructors and I try to exceed (yeah, right) the standards set by the association I'm in.
I don't try to compete or compare with anyone except who I was yesterday.

Why do you think we need this comparison?

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
masherdong said:
Once I start my live instruction this summer, my instructor, Terry McCord wants me to join the AKKI. Good to hear that they will help me out!
Yes, if your experience is like mine (no reason why it shouldn't be) then I'm sure you'll feel very good about joining.

Curious: You said once you begin your "live" training with Mr. McCord.... what kind of training are you doing now??
Also: you list other arts in your retinue of arts here on MT, are you still practicing those or are they in your 'history'??

Are you aware that Mr. J. Connolly (Fastmover here on Martial Talk) teaches in the area you mentioned, is a 1st generation student of Mr. Mills and is the Regional Rep. for your area in the AKKI? I HIGHLY recomend you look him up and give him a call! Tell him your Brother John sent-ya. You can find his E-mail address by going to the AKKI website ( www.akki.com ) and looking up the regional rep map and clicking on Texas. He's really a class act!

Your Brother
John

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, if your experience is like mine (no reason why it shouldn't be) then I'm sure you'll feel very good about joining.

Curious: You said once you begin your "live" training with Mr. McCord.... what kind of training are you doing now??
Also: you list other arts in your retinue of arts here on MT, are you still practicing those or are they in your 'history'??

Are you aware that Mr. J. Connolly (Fastmover here on Martial Talk) teaches in the area you mentioned, is a 1st generation student of Mr. Mills and is the Regional Rep. for your area in the AKKI? I HIGHLY recomend you look him up and give him a call! Tell him your Brother John sent-ya. You can find his E-mail address by going to the AKKI website ( www.akki.com ) and looking up the regional rep map and clicking on Texas. He's really a class act!

Your Brother
John
I have a 2nd dan in Kajukenbo and have stopped practicing in 1992 when I won the U.S. Championships in Dallas. I am currently doing Home Study Programs that I am finding rewarding since I can learn at my own pace. I am learning Sifu Ibrao's Jun Bao Wu Shu and Michael Acord and GM Adrian Roman's American Kenpo. I did the home study programs because I could not find any Kenpo schools in the Yellow Pages, so I got the next best thing. When I joined this site, then I was able to do some networking and I found a few guys that teach it and in my area!

I will have to contact Mr. Connolly and see how he is. I already gave a verbal "yes" to Mr. McCord so I dont want to make myself a liar to him. Thanks for the info!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
masherdong said:
I will have to contact Mr. Connolly and see how he is. I already gave a verbal "yes" to Mr. McCord so I dont want to make myself a liar to him. Thanks for the info!
Mr. McCord is a good fella too!
You got it covered if you check in w/both men.

Your Brother
John

OP
H

Hawkeye

Okay. That's what the board's about. Discussion.

Hawk

OP
H

Hawkeye

Brother John said:
Why would it be needed to have an org that has the "Godfathers" all get together and agree??
I think that the Kenpo World in general is better because people of the differences, because of the variety of off-shoots.

Just my thoughts...

Your Brother
John
Brother,

More figurative than literal. More to the point, it would be nice for all of the Kenpo factions to be communicative and aware of each others strengths and possible positive input. I was competing last weekend and heard one guy ask another "what exactly is Kenpo?" Now I didn't hear the answer but there were many Kenpo schools in attendance and competing. So either he was just new to Karate championships or just never heard of Kenpo. Either way there isn't a single answer to Kenpo. And there doesn't need to be.

I have trouble getting information at times, for myself, about the similarities and differences between the various Kenpos because we aren't the best at networking.

Hawk

Latest Discussions