Just how far is too far?

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO, no it wouldn't be over the edge, espeicallly with the fan-type of displays that HKPhooey mentioned on the other link. Your decor is beautiful! Displaying the swords may make for a very interesting touch. :)
Thanks so much Carol, nice words I really AM trying to not go too far- just push the envelope

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mvc-011f.jpg

My bathroom- not muct of a pic tho

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With regards to envelope pushing...my apt, by comparison, looks like Oriental Trader catalog got sick all over everything.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With regards to envelope pushing...my apt, by comparison, looks like Oriental Trader catalog got sick all over everything.
The first 3 are the bedroom (note the comforter)
The 4th is my daughter's room
and the last is toward the front door.

Oh, there's more...

Attachments

• $BR 01.jpg
    $BR 01.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 117
  • $BR 02.jpg
    $BR 02.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 121
  • $BR 03.jpg
    $BR 03.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 117
  • $Tiger.jpg
    $Tiger.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 124
  • $Stacy.jpg
    $Stacy.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 117

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have modeled my home after Japanese and asian decor- how far have you taken your martial art home to your house and property?

I have some stuff here and there both Chinese and Japanese.

But a friend of mine turned his living room into what looks very much like an Aikido dojo with at suit of Samurai armor sitting at one end.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very nice. Very tasteful. Attractive and comfortable unified decor.

Our home is a 1906 Sears kit house, so we've tended to go more with Mission style furniture and lots and lots of bookcases. There are a couple cabinets with knick-knacks. And The Great Toad Horde of Implements of Destruction is scattered about.

Just two things...

• I believe the Japanese swords are upside down.
  • The trophies would look even better if you had some way to showcase them.

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very nice. Very tasteful. Attractive and comfortable unified decor.

Our home is a 1906 Sears kit house, so we've tended to go more with Mission style furniture and lots and lots of bookcases. There are a couple cabinets with knick-knacks. And The Great Toad Horde of Implements of Destruction is scattered about.

Just two things...

• I believe the Japanese swords are upside down.
  • The trophies would look even better if you had some way to showcase them.
Without hordes of implements of mass destruction- it wouldn't be a martial arts house now would it?
:)

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The first 3 are the bedroom (note the comforter)
The 4th is my daughter's room
and the last is toward the front door.

Oh, there's more...

Yup comforters are the same- I got mine from Brylane on sale for 29.95 I love the tiger print on the wall.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was going to make the same note about the fact that the katana were displayed 'upside down' but would point out that the orientation of blades on stands has a symbology all of it's own.

If I remember rightly, to have them racked edge down and hilt left is signifying peaceful circumstances - the 'normal' way (edge up hilt right) is indicative of aggression.

As to Kenzan's point about display being offensive in the majority of Japanese homes, I think that would depend upon era and rank ... :D (just joshing, I know you mean nowadays)).

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Todd- I have already been busted on the swords
he he

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh and just to add an appreciative comment to those sharing visuals of their decor. Very nice one and all :tup:.

I think that a little Nihon-philia dwells within most of us that do MA from that part of the world (and I'm glad I'm not the only one with huge fans on the walls and sword racks all over the place :eek:).

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is something about asian decor that is just so calming. Could it be the swords at arms reach, or the calming look of a buddha, or even the sound of running water in a small bamboo fountain. Whatever- i like it

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have some stuff here and there both Chinese and Japanese.

But a friend of mine turned his living room into what looks very much like an Aikido dojo with at suit of Samurai armor sitting at one end.

can you imagine the fear in a crook who might break in at night when confronted by a samurai at the door? he would fill his drawers- he he

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There must be someone out there who is over the edge.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
can you imagine the fear in a crook who might break in at night when confronted by a samurai at the door? he would fill his drawers- he he

It is a shock to anyone that walks in his front door. You walk right into his living room and there it sits.

On the opposite side is a wall of Japanese swords and all around the room you absolutely get the feeling you have walked into an old time Japanese dojo.

Heck if my wife would let me I would decorate our living room to look like something form the Forbidden City in Beijing.

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is a shock to anyone that walks in his front door. You walk right into his living room and there it sits.

On the opposite side is a wall of Japanese swords and all around the room you absolutely get the feeling you have walked into an old time Japanese dojo.

Heck if my wife would let me I would decorate our living room to look like something form the Forbidden City in Beijing.

That would be awesome

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's funny when I think about how long MA's have been an intregal part of my life and yet the only thing I have in my house that is "asian" is a shadow box with a Kukri, my first two gold medals from the national championships, and my first blackbelt displayed in my rather "European traditional" study (dark oak rolltop desk, antique map on the wall, etc.)

same thing with my Motorcycle and rockclimbing passions - they tend to stay rather compartmentalized and don't make much of an im[pact on my home decor.

am I weird? (well, yes I am, but am I more weird than I thought?) lol