Just how far is too far?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have some small touches in my home, not much. But I must say your home is beautiful. Very nicely done. :asian:

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have many asian trinkets throughout my apartment. My kids, nieces and nephews love it; but, my estranged wife thinks me daft.

I have that same sheet set on my bed, actually :D

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have many asian trinkets throughout my apartment. My kids, nieces and nephews love it; but, my estranged wife thinks me daft.

I have that same sheet set on my bed, actually :D

Very Cool

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is nice! I have a few things, 11x14 art prints, my certificate from Japan, and my Oni Yuri sword. I do want to get a few more things but not too much.

BTW, those look to be Japanese Katanas? I believe they may be positioned wrong.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Displaying a[/FONT] sword[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] in scabbard and out of scabbard:[/FONT]
Generally, the katana sword is kept within its scabbard when displaying it in your home. There are some circumstances when it is appropriate to display a katana out of its scabbard, one of these is if your nation is at war. When displaying in such a manner, you are conveying aggression and guarded attitude and the handle of your katana will be pointing to your right.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cutting edge orientation:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EDGE UP - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When not on horses, the samurai[/FONT] sword[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] is worn with the blade side up on [/FONT]the left side of the body. This is also the popular style adopted in the more recent periods. A blade worn on the left side allows you to draw with your right hand. The upward facing edge allows you to cut downwards in front of you as you draw the sword from the sheath. Likewise, the sword on a stand should be displayed with the blade edge facing upwards. This also allows you to elimiate the pressure placed on the cutting edge.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grip Orientation (as you face a displayed [/FONT]sword)[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]:[/FONT]
Grip pointing to the right - This conveys an aggressive or non-trusting intention. This is because you are able to draw the sword directly from the display stand with your right hand and respond to any immediate threat.
Grip pointing to the left - This conveys a non-hostile attitude and should be the way your swords are displayed on a regular basis. A left facing grip cannot be drawn with the right hand and has to be picked up, rotated (if grabbed with the left) or switch hands (if grabbed with the right) with before it can be drawn for use. By displaying your katana in this manner, you are stating that you feel no need threat nor harbor hostility that would require you to quickly reach for your sword. Additionally, a left facing grip with cutting edge upwards allows the front of your katana to face forward.
Source: http://www.chenessinc.com/display.htm

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is nice! I have a few things, 11x14 art prints, my certificate from Japan, and my Oni Yuri sword. I do want to get a few more things but not too much.

BTW, those look to be Japanese Katanas? I believe they may be positioned wrong.

Source: http://www.chenessinc.com/display.htm

You are absolutely right! You have earned 20 martial arts points for that observation! he he
- But the shirasaya is displayed right

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/avengergt/DSC00995.jpg

I just liked how they looked

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Onlyanegg-----Thanks for that link- I am going shopping.
Who cares what my friends think- I am going for the gusto!!!!

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the comforters they shown on www.orientalfurniture.com and the ones in domesticatios are the same- only domestications sells them for 39.95 not 199.00 like the oriental site

go figure

Kenzan

White Belt
Reaction score
In a vast majority of Japanese homes, you will not find a Katana displayed at all, as it could be considered offensive. If it is displayed, generally it is displayed in the area known as the Tokonoma.

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In a vast majority of Japanese homes, you will not find a Katana displayed at all, as it could be considered offensive. If it is displayed, generally it is displayed in the area known as the Tokonoma.
Just call me a wild and crazy guy throwing tradition to the wind

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am still looking for a nice way to bring all of my weapons out of the closet and up on the walls
or would that be a bit over the edge?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am still looking for a nice way to bring all of my weapons out of the closet and up on the walls
or would that be a bit over the edge?

IMO, no it wouldn't be over the edge, espeicallly with the fan-type of displays that HKPhooey mentioned on the other link. Your decor is beautiful! Displaying the swords may make for a very interesting touch. :)