Just Realised that Sweeping Kicks are Real and Usable.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No backstory for this one, but I have been enlightened and now embrace the sweeping kick. Inside leg roundhouse kick to be exact. Works like a charm to knock an opponent way off balance. It even works to completely make an opponent fall: refer to highlight clips of Jose Aldo vs. Urijah Faber.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. And it is a terrible way to fall as well. You land really awkward.

Let them check a few times and then fire a shot at their back leg. Can quite often get them over.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've had some fascinating experiences receiving inside leg kicks from taller fighters.
Absolutely fascinating.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes as a taller fighter I love sweep kicking variations and will say people don't appreciate them as much as they should.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nobody appreciates being swept, Doppleganger. Nobody. :eek:
Yes agreed lol. The choy li fut kung fu I trained in has some nice sweeps in their forms that I've applied in sparring on many occasions.

I just love kicking so naturally sweeps became one of my bread and butter take downs even in judo I preferred otoshi throws along with the other throws that involved using my legs.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yep when I use to spar I'd use the low round house often to disrupt the opponent's balance or sweep him but it's not a thing you get to practice often on your training buddies since it really does suck to get kicked or swept like that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep when I use to spar I'd use the low round house often to disrupt the opponent's balance or sweep him but it's not a thing you get to practice often on your training buddies since it really does suck to get kicked or swept like that.

Makes me want a VS.BOB all the more.

Kiki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It really surprises me this isn't used more in MMA. The risk-reward balance seems damn good, especially attacking the inside of the lead leg (as mentioned) because of the range.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It really surprises me this isn't used more in MMA. The risk-reward balance seems damn good, especially attacking the inside of the lead leg (as mentioned) because of the range.

They catch it.

The video the guy was probably going to check.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm surprised that they don't actually do more sweeps in MMA. We can find leg sweeps in many fighting systems but I guess they don't have the same effect in the ring as it does on a harder surface.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm surprised that they don't actually do more sweeps in MMA.
The best counter for "sweep" is "single leg". In MMA, almost everybody are good in "single leg". When you apply "single leg", you have to move in a get his leg. If your opponent just gives you that leg, it will save you 1/2 of your effort.

If you can "guide" your opponent's leading arm away, when you sweep him, his hand won't be able to drop and get your leg, you will have better successful sweep.

Last edited:

Kiki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, any technique opens you up to a possible counter. I think that's slightly academic unless you're never gonna throw anything out because it could be used against you.
Kind of goes back to the risk reward ratio. The question is does the sweep justify the risk? Maybe not.

Last edited:

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, any technique opens you up to a possible counter. I think that's slightly academic unless you're never gonna throw anything out because it could be used against you.
Kind of goes back to the risk reward ratio. The question is does the sweep justify the risk? Maybe not.
Wang is just describing you don't see this sweep often because he did hit it on the nail head of what trained grapplers would go for.

You see this sweep more in kick boxing and San da tournaments since the single leg take down isnt a key weapon in their arsenal.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm surprised that they don't actually do more sweeps in MMA. We can find leg sweeps in many fighting systems but I guess they don't have the same effect in the ring as it does on a harder surface.

The effect is you get to sit on them and beat them up. Which can be a fight ender.