Judge My Form

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have compiled an original weapon form for an upcoming in school tournament.
It is still a bit rough, But I was curious as to what others would say about the form overall.
any and every comment would be appreci, er, taken into consideration.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is the basis for your knowledge of the weapon? Have you received instruction in a methodology in its use, that you use as a foundation upon which you built the form? If so please describe. If not, then how did you chose the weapon and how did you go about developing the form?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what style you practice, but based on my understanding of how axes physically work I'm seeing a lot of issues.

If the form is meant to represent something about how you might want to actually use the axes, I'd recommend going back to the beginning and reworking the form from scratch. Almost everything in the form seems pretty off from that perspective.*

If it's meant to be one of those creative, flashy, baton-twirly dances which seem to be popular these days, then I'm not really the person to ask. In that case it could probably use some more flash and polish, I guess.

*(If you want details, you'll have to wait until I get home and have access to a proper keyboard. I can't handle that much typing on my phone.)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ditto what Tony & FC said in combination.

What you're doing isn't meant to used with hand axes. Aside from the "cool" factor, the weapon isn't being used how it's meant to be.

Swap it for tonfa & it would make more sense.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well since you axed....sorry couldn't resist, for one thing relax your shoulders. You are carrying lot of tension there and it is restricting your movement. Also, the weapons don't seem to be an extension of your hand, but rather something you are not real comfortable with.
And as Tony mentioned above, if you had to grab a couple of axes and commence to fighting with them, is that how you would proceed to do so?

PS...not trying but bust your chops, just trying to offer some sincere critique.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You repeatedly thrust with the top of the axe heads and then, at least once, try to use the blade of the axe in a slashing motion whilst having your grip right up against the axe-head. It doesn't make much sense. I'd heed everyone else's advice and study the weapon more before trying to use it in your own creative work.

Remove the axes from the equation and the form looks a bit like one of the jing wu forms in my old mantis curriculm - double fist strikes and lots of windmill motions... Take a look at some of them if you want to develop your form further without the weapons and without some face to face tuition - is what my advice would be.

This is more stylised than how we used to train it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I applaud your enthusiasm and excitement. But before you create a weapons form, you need a solid understanding of the weapon in question. A chopping blade is wielded differently than a slashing blade which is different from a thrusting weapon -- and that should show in a form. Start over from scratch, and start by seeking to understand the weapon. I'd actually encourage you to use a different weapon entirely, unless you have access to someone who can really help you to understand the combative use of these axes. If I were judging you... I'd probably ask to examine the axes; they'd better be reasonably functional. But you still wouldn't do well, not only because of novelty, but because you violate safety principles, placing your own body in the potential path of blade. (Look at your legs...) Your body mechanics are incorrect for the nature of the weapon, and you aren't using them in a way that makes sense for the weapon. (Hint... an axe puts a heavy weight on the end of a long lever for maximizing chopping power... yet you don't have a single chop in your form.)

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I applaud your enthusiasm and excitement. But before you create a weapons form, you need a solid understanding of the weapon in question. A chopping blade is wielded differently than a slashing blade which is different from a thrusting weapon -- and that should show in a form. Start over from scratch, and start by seeking to understand the weapon. I'd actually encourage you to use a different weapon entirely, unless you have access to someone who can really help you to understand the combative use of these axes. If I were judging you... I'd probably ask to examine the axes; they'd better be reasonably functional. But you still wouldn't do well, not only because of novelty, but because you violate safety principles, placing your own body in the potential path of blade. (Look at your legs...) Your body mechanics are incorrect for the nature of the weapon, and you aren't using them in a way that makes sense for the weapon. (Hint... an axe puts a heavy weight on the end of a long lever for maximizing chopping power... yet you don't have a single chop in your form.)
Interesting, honestly I found the weight of these double sided axes to too much for a one handed chop. I am trying to interpret my Tang Soo Do into blade movement. I found the chop to be quite uncontrolled on these and thus deduced that a basic form could be comprised of slashing, parry movemet, and handle strikes. I have had no formal training with axes, as is quite obvious. Although I have toyed with various axes, one and two sided, and tomahawks for a while.
One of the main principles of this form was to try and combine my knowledge of Bassia movements with Nahanchi and interpret it through axes without compromising my Tang Soo Do.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
comment would be appreci,
Try not to do your form in constant speed. Try to use some slow moves to bring up some of your fast moves.

For example, when you throw 3 punches, you can do as:

1. fast, fast, fast,
2. fast, slow, fast,
3. slow, fast, fast,
4. ...

IMO, both 2 and 3 are better than 1.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Try not to do your form in constant speed. Try to use some slow moves to bring up some of your fast moves.

For example, when you throw 3 punches, you can do as:

1. fast, fast, fast,
2. fast, slow, fast,
3. slow, fast, fast,
4. ...

IMO, both 2 and 3 are better than 1.
I agree.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have compiled an original weapon form for an upcoming in school tournament.
It is still a bit rough, But I was curious as to what others would say about the form overall.
any and every comment would be appreci, er, taken into consideration.
I don't know what fighting system you study but I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to using hand weapons. There are martial arts forms out there that actually use the axe as a weapon. I would take a look at those videos and try to understand how the axe is being used. Try to understand the technique enough to see if some of your heavy weapon form will also work with using an axe.

For me I train with combat weapons and not the light weapons. The weight of the weapon is going to determine how you should move in the form. If those axes are light then you are going to end up with some unrealistic motions for using an axe. You also have to be mindful of the blade. Think of the weapon as being sharp and dangerous. Keep this in mind so you don't put the weapon in positions where it will hurt you (if the blade was sharp). It's always better to practice with real weapons because the weight gives you a better understanding of why a weapon form is the way that it is. I don't think there are axes in my fighting system but here are a few videos. Notice how the movements are different and how they swing the weapon. Never turn a blade towards your body. Nothing good will come of it.

The biggest problem you'll have is that if an axe isn't in your fighting system then your form is just going to look foreign and feel foreign to you. You'll see the difference in the videos below. You may just want to use a different weapon.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for putting yourself out there. That takes guts. I am not qualified to judge your form, but I would say that in general, when I see a well-executed weapons form, it is not hard to understand the purpose of each movement, and how it would be used in battle. I can't say I see that in your form, but again, I am not qualified to judge you.

Keep working, keep improving, and thanks for posting your video.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know what style you practice, but based on my understanding of how axes physically work I'm seeing a lot of issues.

If the form is meant to represent something about how you might want to actually use the axes, I'd recommend going back to the beginning and reworking the form from scratch. Almost everything in the form seems pretty off from that perspective.*

If it's meant to be one of those creative, flashy, baton-twirly dances which seem to be popular these days, then I'm not really the person to ask. In that case it could probably use some more flash and polish, I guess.

*(If you want details, you'll have to wait until I get home and have access to a proper keyboard. I can't handle that much typing on my phone.)
yeah don't be one of those flashy baton-twirly guys.
This reminds me of:bored:

This o_O

But you are only the BOSS if you make it look like this:cool:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting, honestly I found the weight of these double sided axes to too much for a one handed chop.
The weight of the axes aren't the issue. If the axe is too heavy to do a certain move then that's your first warning sign not to do that move with the weapon. You can't force the form on the weapon. Let the weapon create the form.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
The weight of the axes aren't the issue. If the axe is too heavy to do a certain move then that's your first warning sign not to do that move with the weapon. You can't force the form on the weapon. Let the weapon create the form.

this is spot on.
an ax is a much heavier weapon than most other choices. i am not sure why you picked this weapon but in my opinion they dont fit well with a kicking art so if you are going to keep with the ax theme then i would limit the kicking aspects. you might find that a stable base in your stance will help and its difficult to have a stable base and kick. however the front kick would be good. keep in mind that heavy weapons are better when the action does not reverse direction like a thrust but rather continues thru the target in a smooth follow thru. ax edges are wedge shaped and are not meant for cutting like a knife or slashing. think more about chopping bone and how to apply that to the form and i think you will have much better results.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upon further inspection, I see that it is far to fluid. I need to clearly define and punctuate each movement more.

Um no ... that's exactly what you don't need to do.

As it's been mentioned by others & have axes as a weapon in one of the styles I practice, this is a fluid weapon. It moves from one to another. It pauses at the end of a sequence or at a direction change away from the current plane of travel.

But I still think you're better off with a weapon more suited to what you do which would be tonfa.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Heavy weapons ar good training, they develop strength. However, it can't be too heavy or it destroys your technique. AND, and this is very very important, you need to understand proper technique and methodology first, and that means body connection, not just swinging the arms.

Those double-bitted axes looks too heavy, probably meant for garden and yard work. Get a single-bit tomahawk, on the lighter side. But you still need proper instruction to understand the body connection, very doubtful you will figure it out on your own.

Thrusting techs can work with an axe, if the top of the blade sweeps up to a point. Drive that into someone, that'll really mess them up.

Latest Discussions