Martial Arts Bachelors Degree

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I recall several years ago, reading about a, shall we say, unaccredited school that was attempting to get started in the Midwest, which was going to confer college degrees in martial arts. I don't know if anything ever came of that or not.

However, I saw this today in a news article:

http://www.bridgeport.edu/undergraduate/martial-arts-studies-b/

The University of Bridgeport has an interesting history and pedigree, but it is, in fact, accredited. I mean, it's a legit university, even if it's a bit 'out there' with some of their degree plans.

"The University of Bridgeport is proud to be the first American institution of higher learning to offer a B.A. in Martial Arts Studies. While martial arts study at the university level has long been a part of academic life in Asia, UB’s program is unique in that it combines a wide range of liberal arts courses with martial arts practica. The program, offered through the University’s College of Public and International Affairs, explores four aspects of the martial arts:

• Historical background and philosophical roots of the martial arts
  • Languages and cultures of the societies in which the martial arts originated and developed
  • In-depth study of at least one of the martial arts
  • Psychosocial dimensions of the martial arts and their impact upon personality and society
It has long been argued that through study of the martial arts people develop a measurable sense of accomplishment and a mastery of mind over body, contributing to greater self-esteem. Through the teacher-student relationship the martial-arts student embarks on a voyage of self discovery and learns the importance of respect and regard for others."

Whilst I am unable to become involved in their program, it is interesting-sounding to me. Anyone have an experience with it, or knowledge of it?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The University of Bridgeport has had that degree for a few years now, we discussed it once on MT a few years back, someone came and asked questions about it. All I can say is if I were getting out of high school I probably would take a serious look at the program, however I would have to take it as a double major.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...however I would have to take it as a double major.

Yes, as a second major in addition to something more ...applicable in today's world. When I was first in college I majored in Social Anthropology (a four year degree), later I got an MFA in Visual Arts (three more years). Then got a job that paid the about same (adjusted for inflation) as the one I had right out of High School! That was a long time ago and I had affluent parents and earned scholarships. My only debt was when I paid my own way to get a teaching certification. I paid that off in two years.

With what college costs these days (my son starts next year), a degree in "Martial Arts" by itself would be a pretty tough choice to justify ...unless you want to live the rest of your life in debt.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, as a second major in addition to something more ...applicable in today's world. When I was first in college I majored in Social Anthropology (a four year degree), later I got an MFA in Visual Arts (three more years). Then got a job that paid the about same (adjusted for inflation) as the one I had right out of High School! That was a long time ago and I had affluent parents and earned scholarships. My only debt was when I paid my own way to get a teaching certification. I paid that off in two years.

With what college costs these days (my son starts next year), a degree in "Martial Arts" by itself would be a pretty tough choice to justify ...unless you want to live the rest of your life in debt.

To become an officer in most military branches, you need a four year degree from an accredited university. Any four year degree. So there's one possible career path.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall done college offering a Physical Ed or similar degree which allowed a focus on the martial arts. Can't recall where, though it might maybe have been JMU.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think a martial arts degree program could be designed as a practical program, if they really thought about why people would want to have that degree. Presumably, the target audience for the degree would mostly be people who want to teach martial arts, right?

I think a practical martial arts degree would be an interdisciplinary program that combines classes in physical education, related things like nutrition and sports injuries, business classes that would help someone run and market their own school, some liberal arts classes about Asian languages and philosophy, as well as (obviously) martial arts and general fitness classes.

Edit: Plus, a degree like that could also be useful to anyone that wanted to run a gym or yoga studio, be a personal trainer, run a fitness program at a senior center, etc, even if the martial arts teacher thing doesn't pan out.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
They actually list the career option they feel this degree would help one pursue

Career tracks:
  • Martial Arts Instructor
  • Business Owner
  • Sports Psychologist/ Therapist
  • Journalism/ Media
  • Teacher/ College Professor
  • Criminologist
  • DEA Agent
  • FBI Agent
  • INS Agent
  • Probation Officer
  • Secret Service
  • Nutritionist
  • Recreation Therapist

But based on the curriculum the only options that are viable with out additional education would likely be Martial Arts Instructor or Business Owner

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, I don't know... my initial reaction was to think this is absurd. Frankly, after giving it some thought, I'm mostly not inclined to change my mind. This is mainly because the purpose for the degree is mushy. In other words, what value does the degree impart to the student? I largely don't see one. You spend $20 to $60k on a four year, bachelor of arts degree in "Martial Arts Studies" and what do you get? What's the outcome?

You don't need a degree to put your shingle out as a school owner, and outside of two classes I see on the curriculum, there is little instruction on how to be a successful business owner. You could pursue the criminal justice careers suggested, but even there, I am pretty sure there are courses of study that lead directly to those careers. I mean, as a hiring agent, why would I choose a kid with a BA in Martial Arts Studies over an equally well qualified kid with a degree in criminal justice?

The same goes for all of the other careers listed. This degree would really only help you, at best, as an add on major, and even then, it's just color. I don't see someone looking at an applicant who has a degree in sports psychology and going, "hey, this is our guy. He double majored in martial arts studies."

In my opinion, for this to hold any value at all, it would need to be linked to a Phys. Ed. degree in some way... coaching or some such. The idea would be to pursue the education degree AND this MA studies major with the intent to teach PE and also coach a team in the schools. In much the same way that some people get their Phys. Ed. degrees with the intent to coach gymnastics or some other specific sport.

Otherwise, this degree is as valuable as a degree in underwater basket weaving.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

It is the University of Bridgeport.... what did you expect..... and still without a major in something else useful, the degree is not of much worth, you certainly would be hard pressed to pay off the student loans teaching MA. Heck you would probably get more mileage (from am MA business POV) out of the YMAA training in California, at least then you can claim you trained with someone a lot of people know.

Also it may be cheaper to go to a Wushu University in China, then at least when your done you can impress people with the whole trained China thing and you've learned a language that you may be able get some mileage out of as a translator

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I don't know... my initial reaction was to think this is absurd. Frankly, after giving it some thought, I'm mostly not inclined to change my mind. This is mainly because the purpose for the degree is mushy. In other words, what value does the degree impart to the student? I largely don't see one. You spend $20 to $60k on a four year, bachelor of arts degree in "Martial Arts Studies" and what do you get? What's the outcome?

You don't need a degree to put your shingle out as a school owner, and outside of two classes I see on the curriculum, there is little instruction on how to be a successful business owner.

Yeah, that was my thought, too. There are a lot of things you need to learn in order to be a successful martial arts school owner, but "the psychosocial dimensions of martial arts" is not one of them. When I think about what I wish I'd learned in college to better prepare me, it's more things like how to do market research and basic accounting. I don't see the real value of this degree.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think a martial arts degree program could be designed as a practical program, if they really thought about why people would want to have that degree. Presumably, the target audience for the degree would mostly be people who want to teach martial arts, right?

I think a practical martial arts degree would be an interdisciplinary program that combines classes in physical education, related things like nutrition and sports injuries, business classes that would help someone run and market their own school, some liberal arts classes about Asian languages and philosophy, as well as (obviously) martial arts and general fitness classes.

Edit: Plus, a degree like that could also be useful to anyone that wanted to run a gym or yoga studio, be a personal trainer, run a fitness program at a senior center, etc, even if the martial arts teacher thing doesn't pan out.
This is very much what I'm thinking, but truly, the value of the degree would be in the non-MA related content.

If I were the Emperor of the Universe... or at least the president of a university... and wanted to incorporate martial arts related studies into my course catalog, I would provide classes that link the study to a practical, widely accepted major. What I mean is, if you want to get a degree that will be used to owning and managing a (hopefully) profitable school, it would be a degree in Business Administration, which is a real thing, but some portion of the curriculum would focus on the unique area of managing MA schools.

Similiarly, I could see some overlap with P.E. and martial arts instructor training, a BA in history, with a focus on MA studies, or just making classes related to MA available as electives that could lead to maybe some kind of a minor. Who knows? I think that a degree in Business Administration, with a minor in Martial Arts studies sounds a lot less goofy and useless than a degree in Martial Arts Studies with a focus on school management.

The point is, the degree wouldn't be a Martial Arts degree. It would be a degree that actually might help you get a job (well, maybe not the history degree :)), with an emphasis on Martial Arts. Just as you could get a degree in English Literature and because you have an interest in the restoration era, you might emphasize that in your course selection, you could get your Business (or whatever) degree and just choose to take the courses that best prepare you for what you want to do.

Latest Discussions