Judge My Form

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You repeatedly thrust with the top of the axe heads and then, at least once, try to use the blade of the axe in a slashing motion whilst having your grip right up against the axe-head. It doesn't make much sense. I'd heed everyone else's advice and study the weapon more before trying to use it in your own creative work.

Remove the axes from the equation and the form looks a bit like one of the jing wu forms in my old mantis curriculm - double fist strikes and lots of windmill motions... Take a look at some of them if you want to develop your form further without the weapons and without some face to face tuition - is what my advice would be.

This is more stylised than how we used to train it.

This is one of the non Jow Ga forms that we practice. It's to help us to learn how to be bigger with our punches. She definitely make the form look really relaxed.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Others have already hit a lot of good points. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but will be blunt. Your form makes it look like you have never used an axe. Get a hatchet and do something useful like chopping firewood for a while and then look at your form with a better understanding of the tool.

1. The axes you have are not suited to thrusting.
2. Most of your strikes look ineffective. Even in your swinging movements, the blade is often out of line with the strike. If you hit somebody like that, you would, however, make them really angry.
3. You state that your motivation is to interpret a couple of traditional TKD empty handed forms for use with an axe. This is not necessarily a good idea if the movements in those forms do not involve a lot of hacking and slashing.

It is a cliche that "Weapons are an extension of the empty hands". Yes, there is a bit of truth to that, but you must at least consider what kinds of hand movements will translate to any given weapon, and even then, make considerable changes in your movements for them to be functional. For example, look at the following kama form. A kama shares some axe like qualities, and comes from a tradition (Karate) that, overall, shares more movements with TKD than say ...kung fu.

Now, I know nothing about traditional Kobudo, but I do train with weapons (FMA and WC). When I look at this clip, I do not find it hard to imagine what the applications of these movements might be. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for your form. Perhaps you should consult with someone with actual training in weapons. ;)

Oh, one unrelated question. In the background I see a couple of Mook Yang Jong (WC wooden dummies). Does your TKD school teach those as well?

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Others have already hit a lot of good points. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but will be blunt. Your form makes it look like you have never used an axe. Get a hatchet and do something useful like chopping firewood for a while and then look at your form with a better understanding of the tool.

2. Most of your strikes look ineffective. Even in your swinging movements, the blade is often out of line with the strike. If you hit somebody like that, you would, however, make them really angry.
3. You state that your motivation is to interpret a couple of traditional TKD empty handed forms for use with an axe. This is not necessarily a good idea if the movements in those forms do not involve a lot of hacking and slashing.

It is a cliche that "Weapons are an extension of the empty hands". Yes, there is a bit of truth to that, but you must at least consider what kinds of hand movements will translate to any given weapon, and even then, make considerable changes in your movements for them to be functional. For example, look at the following kama form. A kama shares some axe like qualities, and comes from a tradition (Karate) that, overall, shares more movements with TKD than say ...kung fu.

Now, I know nothing about traditional Kobudo, but I do train with weapons (FMA and WC). When I look at this clip, I do not find it hard to imagine what the applications of these movements might be. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for your form. Perhaps you should consult with someone with actual training in weapons. ;)

Oh, one unrelated question. In the background I see a couple of Mook Yang Jong (WC wooden dummies). Does your TKD school teach those as well?
Understood and taken into consideration. I will still do that form in the tournament , which is thursday, because I signed up to do an axe form. It's too late to back out now and if I am going to make a fool of myself, it might as well be a big one.
On the other note, my school used to offer mantis kung fu. The mantis instructor is gone but we do maintain wing chun through one of his students. I have never tried it myself.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score

My school's main style is Tang Soo Do. We also offer Taekwondo, Wing Chun, and Krav Maga.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I will still do that form in the tournament , which is thursday, because I signed up to do an axe form. It's too late to back out now and if I am going to make a fool of myself, it might as well be a big one.

I like your attitude. Do your best and see how it goes. Let us know how it turns out.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is one of the non Jow Ga forms that we practice. It's to help us to learn how to be bigger with our punches. She definitely make the form look really relaxed.
I think the form name translates to power boxing...or something. We always did it with a lot of energy and explosiveness, rather than simply for demonstration like the girl in the video.

Latest Discussions